Paypal query

Cloud-S

Adept
If I pay the seller in US through Paypal from here in India, in case if some problem arises, will it be possible to seek help from Paypal? I mean, if he doesn't ship or not as described, will paypal be able to help me in that?

EDIT

I am getting this message:

The card cannot be used for this payment

Any idea why?

You can file a dispute within 45 days of the transaction. PayPal mostly supports buyers and there is a good chance that you'll get your money back, if the deal goes sour that is.

The money will be refunded into your PayPal account in USD, so I hope you've supplied PayPal with a purpose code and a bank account so that you can withdraw your money. If not, then the money will be stuck because as per RBI regulations you cannot use PayPal account balance to make any transactions.

Lastly, whatever money you are sending to the seller, make sure that you DO NOT mark it as gift or payment for goods. Those types of transactions are not covered under PayPal dispute policies. Mark it as payment for services or ebay items.

No need for purpose code or bank withdrawl to get a refund.
If you win the case PayPal will refund the money to your mode of payment, which in case of an Indian PayPal account is a credit/debit card and not a bank account.

Ok, so I was trying to pay on ebay.com using "Paypal - Visa, Mastercard". The option where you enter the card details, not logging in to Paypal account as I don't have one and I got this message.

Any idea why? Because the card is working fine with flipkart, and is not added to any paypal account.

Ok, so I was trying to pay on ebay.com using "Paypal - Visa, Mastercard". The option where you enter the card details, not logging in to Paypal account as I don't have one and I got this message.

Any idea why? Because the card is working fine with flipkart, and is not added to any paypal account.

It has to be a *Credit* card or a debit card from ICICI, Axis, Indian Bank.

You can file a dispute within 45 days of the transaction. PayPal mostly supports buyers and there is a good chance that you'll get your money back, if the deal goes sour that is.

The money will be refunded into your PayPal account in USD, so I hope you've supplied PayPal with a purpose code and a bank account so that you can withdraw your money. If not, then the money will be stuck because as per RBI regulations you cannot use PayPal account balance to make any transactions.

Lastly, whatever money you are sending to the seller, make sure that you DO NOT mark it as gift or payment for goods. Those types of transactions are not covered under PayPal dispute policies. Mark it as payment for services or ebay items.

Well it's not like that if you pay thru Indian PayPal account you can't pay directly from your Paypal funds. One can only pay from a credit card and refund goes to card directly. If any seller transfer usd to your account that can only be withdrawn to your bank account. When you make payment thru PayPal always select item as goods no service and you can't select the payment as for ebay goods.

Yes it is. Actually, I used the same credit card a few months back on ebay.

Is that card already added in your PayPal account?
If yes, you WILL have to login into PayPal to pay
----
If you haven't done verified by Visa or Secure Mastercode process you will NOT be able to make the payment
----
If you pay without logging in to PayPal (as a guest) you WONT be able to seek paypal's help easily, you'll have to contact your card issuer if any problem arises, and trust me that's a very tedious process + takes long time for the outcome + if its a credit card, you HAVE to pay the bill for the disputed amount, if you win the amount will be credited to your card.

I hope that helps.

Is that card already added in your PayPal account?
If yes, you WILL have to login into PayPal to pay
----
If you haven't done verified by Visa or Secure Mastercode process you will NOT be able to make the payment
----
If you pay without logging in to PayPal (as a guest) you WONT be able to seek paypal's help easily, you'll have to contact your card issuer if any problem arises, and trust me that's a very tedious process + takes long time for the outcome + if its a credit card, you HAVE to pay the bill for the disputed amount, if you win the amount will be credited to your card.

I hope that helps.

No, its not added in paypal account. I have done the verify/secure process.
It doesn't state why it cannot be used, simply says that This card cannot be used. Don't know why.

Is there any virtual card service that I can use, preferrably without any extra charges?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I am having the same problem.

I have a SBI debit card and need to pay using PayPal. However, that card doesn't work. Is there any way in which I can make the payments? Do the virtual cards issued by SBI work?

Or is there any other bank whose debit card is accepted by PayPal? I am avoiding credit cards because I don't need them.

I have a SBI debit card and need to pay using PayPal. However, that card doesn't work. Is there any way in which I can make the payments? Do the virtual cards issued by SBI work?

Or is there any other bank whose debit card is accepted by PayPal? I am avoiding credit cards because I don't need them.

I just tried adding an Internation SBI Debit card to both PayPal and Google Play to see if something's changed. Same old story.

SBI Virtual Cards are more like Virtual Debit Cards and they can't be used for purchases outside of India.

There have been more than just a few threads on TE where members claimed to have used the debit cards from Indian Bank and ICICI with PayPal successfully. However, some also said that Indian Bank had stopped issuing the kinds of debit cards that were accepted by PayPal.

Besides that, you can use Entropay, which is a virtual credit card service. You can load funds from your regular debit card (Entropay charges 4.95% of the amount to be loaded but loading is instant) or net banking (Entropay charges 3.95% but loading takes around 3-4 days). I've used this service on and off over the past couple of years. The minimum amount of money you have to load is $20.

Credit cards are any day better for these things!

Last edited:

I have only seen the Standard Chartered debit card to work. Other debit cards don't work from what I have seen.

I have only seen the Standard Chartered debit card to work. Other debit cards don't work from what I have seen.

Didn't know StanC Debit Cards worked, have to try it out.

I have personally tried ICICI Visa & Indian Bank MasterCard debit cards with PayPal and they do work.

Do you think opening an account in either Standard Chartered or ICICI would be a good idea?

The Entropay idea looks costly in the long run.

If I opt for a credit card in SBI itself, will I be able to do the transactions? If I don't go above the credit limit, how much am I expected to dole out to the bank for the services?

If you can adhere to the minimum quarterly balance requirements of either of those banks, I don't see a better option that getting an account with them.

Entropay is costly alright. Alright for one-time transactions but certainly not something to be used every now and then.

A quick chat with the SBI credit card personnel over phone enlightened me that they were looking for an account balance of minimum 20K for 6 consecutive months as a criterion. The application's chances of getting a CC would become stronger if the applicant had taken some sort of loan from SBI, had an ongoing FD, or used a CC from another bank. I can't vouch if these requirements are uniform across all regions so it'd be good if you can have a chat with the concerned personnel, whose number you can source from your branch itself.

A credit card, regardless of which bank issues it, can be used for transactions involving PayPal.

Back