Budget 71-90K PC For 4k Encoding (Ryzen)

You can get all those parts in India. You'll obviously have to pay more but you will get them. As for prices, look up mdcomputers.in or primeabgb.com or theitdepot.com for rough street prices.

Also encoding is very dependent on whether you wish to use the GPU or not. If you wish to use nvenc or its amd equivalent, CPU is a non issue.

We've been playing with nvenc(video codec sdk) on a GTX 1070 at office and I can say that it can encode a 4k(2160x3840) buffer in around 8ms per frame.

You can get all those parts in India. You'll obviously have to pay more but you will get them. As for prices, look up mdcomputers.in or primeabgb.com or theitdepot.com for rough street prices.

Also encoding is very dependent on whether you wish to use the GPU or not. If you wish to use nvenc or its amd equivalent, CPU is a non issue.

We've been playing with nvenc(video codec sdk) on a GTX 1070 at office and I can say that it can encode a 4k(2160x3840) buffer in around 8ms per frame.
I have tried on my GTX1070 that with StaxRip but the quality on H265 was never at par with Handbrake for me.

Can you let me know what software and what settings you are using to get such a tasty framerate?

I have tried on my GTX1070 that with StaxRip but the quality on H265 was never at par with Handbrake for me.

Can you let me know what software and what settings you are using to get such a tasty framerate?
Software encoders will always have better quality but they are really slow especially for high resolutions. However the nvidia encoder does have a lot of options to control quality including GOP size, qp, bitrate, etc.

I suggest you download the video codec sdk and look at the samples. It exposes a lot of quality related options in it.

Same here - but my experience is with QuickSync. If you do a blown up ratio, pixel to pixel, there seems to be some degradation. These are mainly visible in high motion frames, where tearing is noticed.

Software encoders will always have better quality but they are really slow especially for high resolutions. However the nvidia encoder does have a lot of options to control quality including GOP size, qp, bitrate, etc.

I suggest you download the video codec sdk and look at the samples. It exposes a lot of quality related options in it.

Do these SDKs support choosing the codec also? I mean, like, HEVC/h265 or VP9/AV1 etc which I guess are patent encumbered? If not then what codec(s) will it be?

Do these SDKs support choosing the codec also? I mean, like, HEVC/h265 or VP9/AV1 etc which I guess are patent encumbered? If not then what codec(s) will it be?
Obviously they do. Hardware encoders only support h.264 and h.265(hevc). There is no support for vc1 which no one uses anyways these days as it is inferior to h.264. Do be aware that the max bit rates supported by hevc will be lower than h.264.

All video encoding and codecs are potential patent landmines.

All video encoding and codecs are potential patent landmines.

Not all, right? I know you wrote "potential" but like VK wrote, I guess Google's VP9/VPX/AV1 are "RAND" or whatever (patent free, or royalty free) something like that?[DOUBLEPOST=1505134143][/DOUBLEPOST]Reminds me of OGG Theora :D[DOUBLEPOST=1505134405][/DOUBLEPOST]@linuxtechie looking at your username , hope you are aware of the "confirmed by AMD" linux SEGV issue on Ryzen current stepping? Apparently they are sending replacement CPUs to customers via RMA on individual basis - not sure what stepping these replacements are on at the moment but they apparently resolve the issue.

Do you plan to do 4k encoding/video editing on Linux or Windows?[DOUBLEPOST=1505134477][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also presuming because you mention Ryzen you plan to do software encoding to make use of the 8 core / 16 thread Ryzen 7 1700 CPU? (again assuming encoding can be done multithreaded)

Last edited:
Not all, right? I know you wrote "potential" but like VK wrote, I guess Google's VP9/VPX/AV1 are "RAND" or whatever (patent free, or royalty free) something like that?[DOUBLEPOST=1505134143][/DOUBLEPOST]Reminds me of OGG Theora :D[DOUBLEPOST=1505134405][/DOUBLEPOST]@linuxtechie looking at your username , hope you are aware of the "confirmed by AMD" linux SEGV issue on Ryzen current stepping? Apparently they are sending replacement CPUs to customers via RMA on individual basis - not sure what stepping these replacements are on at the moment but they apparently resolve the issue.

Do you plan to do 4k encoding/video editing on Linux or Windows?[DOUBLEPOST=1505134477][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also presuming because you mention Ryzen you plan to do software encoding to make use of the 8 core / 16 thread Ryzen 7 1700 CPU? (again assuming encoding can be done multithreaded)
Yes, I am aware of the issue. However my needs are very specific. Encoding and RAW processing. I do have 2 xeon based 128GB RAM virutalization hw. But that bugger drinks power like crazy drunk. So I wondering to buy a hardware for specific needs. Yes, I am going to use Adobe (CC ones) based software's only (Windows platform). I am hoping that Adobe would harness Ryzen sooner or later.

Back