Budget 21-30k PC for adobe photoshop(maybe hackintosh)

adventureguy

Skilled
Artist friend of mine needs a PC for photoshop/lightroom. He uses a cintiq monitor to draw. He may want to run hackintosh on it. Budget is 25k. Can stretch to 30k. Thanks for the suggestions

Ive looked at the list. so maybe I should remove hankintosh requirement for my question? since it looks like i'll get a good experience with 30k pc in india

Actually, there are cheaper options as well. That is just a example - where there is almost zero extra configs to be needed. You can do with most Gigabyte boards or so - I am not actively following the hackintosh scene, since I am going to VM it ;)

Tagging @Party Monger - he runs a hackintosh.

Artist friend of mine needs a PC for photoshop/lightroom. He uses a cintiq monitor to draw. He may want to run hackintosh on it. Budget is 25k. Can stretch to 30k. Thanks for the suggestions
i3 7100 - 7-8.5k
H110 motherboard with hdmi - 3.7k
Circle lil cabinet - 2.5k (amazon)
4gb ddr4 ram - 2.7k
120gb / 240gb ssd - 3.5k / 6k

Total -Around 21k.

I have the same config but haven't got time yet to hackintosh. Might do this weekend. FRom what i have read, most h110 mobos are compatible. The lan/sound etc might or might not work depending on the module. I got MSI one offline for 3,750k. Its a fine mobo.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01HTDFZK0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFZXYW01BA4X

Any 22inch ips monitor should be good - 8-10k
You can stretch to i5 in 30k. More threads are definitely good. Or wait till i3 8100 (its here but hackintosh will take time) Also needless to say it will require the latest Seirra for kaby lake compatibility. All the best!

[DOUBLEPOST=1507283915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually, there are cheaper options as well. That is just a example - where there is almost zero extra configs to be needed. You can do with most Gigabyte boards or so - I am not actively following the hackintosh scene, since I am going to VM it ;)

Tagging @Party Monger - he runs a hackintosh.
Many hackintoshes :D

To build a hackintosh PC with a Coffeelake CPU and if you are on a budget, you may have to wait till early 2018 as the H370 and B360 boards would release in the first quarter of 2018.

Coffeelake CPUs launch was a rushed launch as a response to Ryzen CPUs. They didnt think what the people would pair the non-k CPUs with.

There is not a huge difference in performance between the i3 7100 and Pentium 4560 (aka Pentium Gold) processor so i would suggest you to go with Pentium 4560 instead and save some bucks. 4560 is hackintosh compatible aswell.

But as Party Monger suggested a quadcore CPU is bare minimum for content creation work so i would suggest you to go with an i5 CPU aswell instead of settling for a dualcore processor.

To build a hackintosh PC with a Coffeelake CPU and if you are on a budget, you may have to wait till early 2018 as the H370 and B360 boards would release in the first quarter of 2018.

Coffeelake CPUs launch was a rushed launch as a response to Ryzen CPUs. They didnt think what the people would pair the non-k CPUs with.

There is not a huge difference in performance between the i3 7100 and Pentium 4560 (aka Pentium Gold) processor so i would suggest you to go with Pentium 4560 instead and save some bucks. 4560 is hackintosh compatible aswell.

But as Party Monger suggested a quadcore CPU is bare minimum for content creation work so i would suggest you to go with an i5 CPU aswell instead of settling for a dualcore processor.
4560 is not hackintosh compatible unless he's using a a dedicated gfx card. The onboard gfx hd-610 is not used on any mac, spoofing IDs brings crashes. Even then there are random crashed cause of missing instruction sets on the cpu front too. G4560 is selling for around 6k and I got a great deal on paytm for 7.5k for 7100 (available right now for 7800 after cb).

Its a little more cost to prevent a LOT of head ache.

My preference for budget - i3
Little more budget - i5
If you want to go pentium route stick to windows.
(again paytm has great deals i5 7400 for 12k after cb.)

And you're correct about coffee lake. Its going to take a LOOONG time for 1) budget mobos 2) native hackintosh support (till apple updates macbooks in jan)

guys, gotta finalize the build today.

i3 7100 - 7-8.5k
4gb ddr4 ram - 2.7k

Total -Around 21k

Is this enough for photoshop work?[DOUBLEPOST=1507531593][/DOUBLEPOST]I see no graphic card, will that affect performance?

i3 7100 - 7-8.5k
4gb ddr4 ram - 2.7k

Total -Around 21k

Is this enough for photoshop work?[DOUBLEPOST=1507531593][/DOUBLEPOST]I see no graphic card, will that affect performance?
If its basic photoshop, then no. If its advanced, or volume is high, then get a graphics card.

i3 7100 - 7-8.5k
4gb ddr4 ram - 2.7k

Total -Around 21k

This should be enough if you are not pushing for very high res/dpi.

Okay,
bought i5 7400
1050ti zotac oc,
8gb ram and some gigabyte motherboard.
Friend is saying there's a small lag with brush which wasn't there with old system. Should we increase the ram?

Okay,
bought i5 7400
1050ti zotac oc,
Friend is saying there's a small lag with brush which wasn't there with old system. Should we increase the ram?
Did you install OSX ? Lag could be could be cause of the install, or the app. Check ram usage to find out if ram is the bottleneck. Adding 8gb more wont hurt though, but it might not be the solution.

Okay,
bought i5 7400
1050ti zotac oc,

8 GB should be good enough unless he is dealing with very large files and lots of layers. Some of the creative team members at my workplace still use 3 year old windows 7 machines with Quad core CPU and 8 GB RAM for their work and they regularly deal large files.

I hope he is not running Mac OS X (Hackintosh) in some misguided belief that its better than windows for Photoshop. Mac's used to have an edge 15-20 years ago. Not anymore. These days, Adobe CS products run on par and sometimes better and more stable on Windows than Mac.
Unless he uses some software that is exclusive to Mac OS. there is nor reason to setup a Hackintosh instead of simply installing Windows.

8 GB should be good enough unless he is dealing with very large files and lots of layers. Some of the creative team members at my workplace still use 3 year old windows 7 machines with Quad core CPU and 8 GB RAM for their work and they regularly deal large files.

I hope he is not running Mac OS X (Hackintosh) in some misguided belief that its better than windows for Photoshop. Mac's used to have an edge 15-20 years ago. Not anymore. These days, Adobe CS products run on par and sometimes better and more stable on Windows than Mac.
Unless he uses some software that is exclusive to Mac OS. there is nor reason to setup a Hackintosh instead of simply installing Windows.

Quite true. I was using a 3rd gen i5M with 16GB of RAM and an SSD and it was quite sufficient.

Windows itself is a pain to use. Even if you forget the paid license and the spying. Then there's bloating and slowing down in a few months.

^^ Mac OS is also licensed software. You are not authorized to use it on Non-Mac hardware. And that bloating and slowing down of a windows machine is a myth. It happens in realty only when you manage to get some malware into the system.

There are many people at my work with windows 7 installs dating back to 7 years ago. We even had build machines (as part of the CI setup) with Windows XP installs dating back to 2004/2005 and running till early 2017 before they were decommissioned.

^^ Mac OS is also licensed software. You are not authorized to use it on Non-Mac hardware. And that bloating and slowing down of a windows machine is a myth. It happens in realty only when you manage to get some malware into the system.

There are many people at my work with windows 7 installs dating back to 7 years ago. We even had build machines (as part of the CI setup) with Windows XP installs dating back to 2004/2005 and running till early 2017 before they were decommissioned.
That's quite true for Windows these days.
I remember we used to do weekly installs of Win XP during college days, but even then I think it was all in our heads. I installed Win 7 3 years ago when I bought my laptop and I don't find it to be running any slower than it was the day I installed it.
I have installed more RAM (12GB) and I think the SSD definitely helps, but apart from it I have gone through many softwares and drivers for various phones and devices and never felt that the install had become laggy or bloated.

1) There's no active way that they try to restrict use, unlike windows where you get locked out. If not mac, i'll just use linux.
2) I've used windows machines all my life. Its no myth. Your experience might be different. No amount of anti-virus, ccleaner etc can stop the bloating. If you cant acknowledge that then i'll just disagree. I run 5 windows and 5 hacks. I know what i'm talking about. Even my 3 year old hacks are running like day 1.
3) Windows 7 and xp used to bloat, but at a slower pace. Plus you had real access to kill processes. Now the task manager is a joke.

Anyway, im done here. To each his own.

Back