Budget 51-70k PC for AutoCAD

Hi

I need to help put together a PC for my relative in the 50-70k budget. Budget is slightly flexible

The specific requirements are to run AutoCAD Solidworks Sketchup Adobe Illustrator and that the PC should be 'very speedy'. Want to buy a monitor as well.

As I have pretty much no idea about the designing end and PC requirements I will mostly be relying on your suggestions. I dont even know what are the right questions to ask, so pls let me know of any details I have missed out.

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 50-70k - slightly flexible
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Mostly Intel CPU based configs, unless you advice otherwise
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi/Online
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Designing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Preferably brands with better after-sales service in the North
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • NA
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. NA
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10

Please let me know what other details uou need. Would appreciate early responses.

I would suggest to wait for a while, see how Ryzen pans out. If you want to go with Intel, go for E3 Xeons. Depending on your budget, I would suggest to see if you can get it with IGP or get an entry level GPU. Get 8GB of RAM atleast. Do not forget to add a SSD - this really helps.

You may not be able to get a latest Xeon as they need a workstation board.

Thanks for the suggestions can you direct me to a sample configuration as well with point you mentioned?

Unfortunately I can't wait that long so will have to pull the plug

Also you mentioned that I might want to go with igp but won't that hinder the efficiency of machine while using the designing software?

Also you mentioned that I might want to go with igp but won't that hinder the efficiency of machine while using the designing software?

The reason for going with IGP is because they contain the workstation IGP graphics. I am pretty sure with your budget, you will stick to a desktop graphics card.

As for your other points, I will try to give you some reference stuff. Also, what complexity of CAD/other stuff is going to be done?

Build R7 1700 system.
For your work it would be perfect and if the budget is not including a monitor you'd get a pretty good GPU also and with 8core 16threads it will butter through everything you throw at it.

If you can let me know your max budget i can probably work out a build for you and tell u exact parts.

Again thank you for the reply...let me ask and get back to you on the complexity piece...i wasnt able to understand anything about your comment on IGP as i dont know what it stands for...would highly appreciate if you can give me some sample builds...

Okies but then when you say i will stick to a desktop graphics card does that mean you think i will go for a dedicated gpu ...or not?

regarding the question on complexity here is what my relative mentioned:

Basically, I am interested in running AutoCAD for 2D drawings

Solidworks I would be using for 3D models and structural analysis. Files here may be complex involving sub-components.

Sketchup for 3D models of home layouts and interior designing.

Adobe Illustrator/Premier for logo designing and video editing.

Generally, problem that I usually face with normal PC is that when many files are opened all at once it hangs and processing time is increased

and when you are in middle of something your workflow is hindered.

I come form somewhat similar background (Not into Arch-Mech CAD though). It mostly depends on how heavy or complex your file's are. I suggest you should add more RAM (somewhat around 16/32GB) as it helps speed up the workflow and can handle large chunks of CAD data to stay in the memory for multiple files.

Xeon's as suggested by "Vivek Krishnan" paired with ECC RAM are perfect for 3D/CAD work and speeds up the workflow to a great extent. You'll see the difference yourself. We use Xeon based HP workstations for the similar/ more complex kind of work we deal with.

Adding the iGPU means that you can use that for the time being, and upgrade to a powerful GPU later on if there is a budget constraint.

Apart fromt that, you should look at Z440 from HP, T7600 from Dell as models for what to buy.

Budget -69K

Intel Core i5 7600K -19000,
Asus Z270 TUF Mark2 -14000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 3000Mhz -10000,
Seasonic S12II 520w Evo -5500,
Cooler Master Hyper 212X -3000,
Corsair SPEC ALPHA -4000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7000,
Cooler Master Devastator II -3000.
TOTAL -69,000..

thank you for all the suggestions i have been able to narrow down some of the things based on the above discussions with an Xeon E3

I am confused about the motherboard...how do i select one?

How about this config??

Motherboard Asus P10S WS 1151 Pin C236 CS 17000

PROCESSOR
Chipset Intel® C236
Processor Intel® Xeon® E3-1225v5 with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3.3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) 19000

MEMORY
Memory, standard "Memory DDR4 Crucial ECC UDIMM 8gb 2133 mhz. x 2
or Memory DDR4 Samsung ECC Registered 8gb 2400 mhz. x 2" 11000

STORAGE
Hard drive description "WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7000" 10500

GRAPHICS (Optional)
Graphics Graphics Card Leadtek Nvidia Quadro K620 2gb DDR3 13000
Graphics

INPUT
Keyboard Mouse Combo Cooler Master Keybord & Mouse Devastator Combo SGB-3010-KKMF1-US Black 3000

Other items
Tower / Case Cabinet Corsair Carbide SPEC-ALPHA Mid Tower White Red Windowed without SMPS 6000
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X 3000

OPTICAL DISK DRIVE
Optical drive DVD Writer Liteon OEM SATA Black 24X 1000

POWER
Power Seasonic S12II 520w Evo 6000

Total 89500
without graphics card 76500

@vivek.krishnan

Last edited:
Select a workstation board only - C (prefered) or Q series chips, not a board with H/B/Z series. Also, the 7th gen equivalent Xeons were launched, so try to get an older version at a discount.

Thanks is the mobo okay.. Are there any options? Initially as you suggested I will tell him to not get a graphics card... If things are slow or things don't run well then only will ask to get a graphics card

Back