Budget 41-50k PC for music (main) and photo-edit

nuvo_te

Recruit
First a brief background about the requirement before putting up the template:

I intend to buy a PC for music purpose (only as player not for production/DJ purpose) within a budget of 55k in which I will occasionaly edit RAW files in Darktable/equivalent. Other than internet browsing, no other use in envisaged - no gaming in particular. This will not be a downloading centre and hence no 24 x 7 use is envisaged.

Regarding music, I want to have a good quality internal soundcard (stereo) which would be hooked up to a Marantz PM 5004 amplifier further connected with Wharfedale diamond 10.1 speakers. Presently, the amp+speakers are connected with PS3 which is being used as CD player. I burn FLAC files into audio CD as PS3 can't read FLAC without PS3 media server. My aim is to produce better (a good step, not just slightly better) sound as compared to the present set up.

Everything else can take backseat. Except that the system should be compact enough (mini/micro ITX size).

Now the template:

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 55K (including UPS)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None/Not applicable
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None/Not applicable
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Complete set up in a micro ATX size
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade envisaged.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Noida/Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Music - Primary purpose
    • Gaming - no
    • Browsing - yes
    • Desktop Processing - Phot editing
    • HTPC - no streaming
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation - Not envisaged
    • Watching HD movies - no
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No - but I will prefer reliability over VFM
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Not applicable
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - Not applicable
    2. Desktop - 1920 x 1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Ubuntu/Mint
Please pour in the suggestions.

Budget - 53.3k

Processor Intel Core i5 4460 13,000
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H 5,500
Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz 3,000
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB 9,500
Power Supply
Antec VP500PC 3,300
Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 311 2,300
Internal Storage
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3,500
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD-RW 1,000
UPS
APC 600VA UPS 2,400
Monitor
Dell S2216H 22" LED IPS 9,000
Keyboard/Mouse
Logitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo 800

Total - 53,300.

Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 311 2,300

Sirjee, I want a compact PC. Please suggest if my requirements can be fulfilled in smaller cabinets like Cooler Master Elite 130/Corsair carbide 240/BitFenix BFC-PHM-300.

Also I guess, an internal sound card would be required. I am willing to compromise on processing power/speed as long as sound output is good.

I've got a computer connected to my AVR, and while it works well, it's not a good solution.
Everything works, flac files play nicely, the AVR decodes them, so there's no need for a high end sound card, but the noise from the CPU and PSU fans is very noticeable. IMO something smaller, cooler and quieter is preferable.
I think something like a Raspberry Pi 2 is a much better solution. I'd hooked up my Raspberry Pi B+ to my AVR to check sound and video quality, and since the AVR was doing the audio decoding, there was, as expected, no difference in output from the speakers (to my ears), but I could easily notice how much nicer music sounded without the constant whir of the fans.

I just looked up the specs of your AMP, and since you don't have an HDMi input, I think you'll have to go with a PC. Get something fanless like : http://www.amazon.in/Intel-NUC-DE3815TYKHE-Atom-Processor/dp/B00JXM7JEQ
and an external soundcard if an internal one can't fit inside the fanless case: http://www.amazon.in/Asus-U7-7-1-ch...1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1453368119&sr=1-7

Last edited:
Back