PC Freezing with Flickering Screen

Shubham15

Recruit
So,I am using a 2014 PC which was running well but got some problem this month. I have Gigabyte motherboard and i3 with Corsair 4GB Ram.

One day my PC froze and changing ram and Cleaning processor fan didnt help. So, i took a friends RAM and it started working for sometime and froze again. Later on my old ram was working too.

Now whenever my PC freezes, I change ram slot and it works for sometime and then again freezes. Please check the screenshot and let me know what is the error. Sometime PC works fine for 3 hrs while sometime it freezes in just 5 mins.

5d04ly.jpg

Onboard GPU..And what is the solution for dying ram? Change of motherboard?

Also my MOBO is Gigabyte B250M D3H, any recommendation for replacing the mobo in a price around 5K? I guess my processor is 3rd or 4th gen since it was made in 2014. Also, I need usb 3 ports on mobo.

And Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
Did you had a look at event viewer logs? When pc freezes record the time and look for logs for that exact time it will give you more insights regarding the problem.
There are quite a few boards available but before deciding on new board first check the logs.
Also did you upgrade display, chipset drivers recently? If so try a roolback. Also if you added a new hardware try disabling or removing it.

^^^ I havent checked the logs yet.

Now the problem is such that my PC wont even start. It starts with that flickering screen and is stuck with GIGABYTE logo which shows before startup of PC. :arghh::(

But when the problem started, I did update my Graphics driver and it was working same as before.. i.e. freezing randomly. And nothing new was added in the PC.

Rather than going for a new motherboard, or other components, first try to find out the cause of this problem. What if it is a PSU problem, and you change the motherboard for nothing? If you are not able to do it yourself, then it would be good to take it to a repair shop and get it checked. Will cost a few bucks, but atleast you will find the cause and a definite solution too.

Most likely it is a RAM problem. Can be PSU problem too. If you can, take out the connections and clean them and connect again. It can be a failing hard drive too. Check for it.

Rather than going for a new motherboard, or other components, first try to find out the cause of this problem. What if it is a PSU problem, and you change the motherboard for nothing? If you are not able to do it yourself, then it would be good to take it to a repair shop and get it checked. Will cost a few bucks, but atleast you will find the cause and a definite solution too.

Most likely it is a RAM problem. Can be PSU problem too. If you can, take out the connections and clean them and connect again. It can be a failing hard drive too. Check for it.

Alright, I will try to clean everything after checking the event log. And I assembled the whole PC myself, so I guess I can clean and re-connect them all. :)

Can you connect it to other PC or laptop? Just to be sure that there's no issue with display?

Once you've done that, try changing RAM, PSU, display output (if you have GPU then remove it and connect to MoBo).

Can you connect it to other PC or laptop? Just to be sure that there's no issue with display?

Once you've done that, try changing RAM, PSU, display output (if you have GPU then remove it and connect to MoBo).

My Display is fine.
Only thing I dont have is a graphics card. Using onboard gpu. Maybe some problem with Ram Slot or Onboard GPU. I will try to start my PC somehow and see for error logs tonight.

Looks like PSU problem, What model? 4 years is a decent life of a PSU. Continous usage of this faulty PSU may also damage other components. Hence try powering up with other PSU or take to nearest shop

I don't think that RAM is causing this problem because your pc froze even when you used your friend's RAM.
It would have been your GPU but since you have integrated chip I think that you have bad cpu chip or motherboard.
If it was caused by RAM then you would have seen blue screen(BSOD) a lot.

Looks like PSU problem, What model? 4 years is a decent life of a PSU. Continous usage of this faulty PSU may also damage other components. Hence try powering up with other PSU or take to nearest shop

I have a Corsair CX430 which I purchased in Dec. 2014. And I tried yesterday with a very old PSU but that PSU didnt have much wires to connect into my Motherboard which is actually Gigabyte B85 D3H.

I also tried Memtest for RAM on another PC with my RAM and it passed with no errors. Yesterday My PC was not starting at all. But in just boot loop without any display. So, Final conclusion is that the error is either in motherboard or the PSU. I tried all four RAM slots but didnt work in any of them.

My Cabinet has two extra fans.. one on the back and one in the front. So when PC starts, the back fan of cabinet and CPU Fan keeps running while the front fan keeps shutting on n off in the boot loop.[DOUBLEPOST=1532071649][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think that RAM is causing this problem because your pc froze even when you used your friend's RAM.
It would have been your GPU but since you have integrated chip I think that you have bad cpu chip or motherboard.
If it was caused by RAM then you would have seen blue screen(BSOD) a lot.

Ya.. Mostly Bad motherboard or PSU. I will test for PSU today and see if its fine or faulty.

Can a bad PSU make a PC not start and stay in boot loop??

Last edited:
I have a Corsair CX430 which I purchased in Dec. 2014. And I tried yesterday with a very old PSU but that PSU didnt have much wires to connect into my Motherboard which is actually Gigabyte B85 D3H
CX430 was a decent psu (with all the controversy when it came out) and a decent psu should actually shut down ij case of issues to prevent damaging other component. You may have mobo issue. Have you checked temps? Any beeps when it doesn't boot up but fan keeps running?

CX430 was a decent psu (with all the controversy when it came out) and a decent psu should actually shut down ij case of issues to prevent damaging other component. You may have mobo issue. Have you checked temps? Any beeps when it doesn't boot up but fan keeps running?

Alright.. I havent heard of any beeps from my Gigabyte mobo.. When PC was running before..I did use CPU Temp software and it was running around 40 to 80 degree C.

How much is the ideal temp for i3 processor 4th Gen?

Sometimes, PC problems can be weird, and difficult to diagnose.

PSU of my friend's PC went bad, but computer was booting up fine. It just wasn't detecting any of the hard drives, which was really weird, because okay, one drive can go bad, but that PC had three, two of them connected at a time. So, either the mobo had gone bad, which was unlikely, because not all ports can go bad like this. My thought went to PSU, that somehow it wasn't able to generate enough power or something to detect the drives. Went to a friend, and he checked with another PSU, and came to know PSU was the problem.

So, sometimes issues can be confusing.

You can try with a different PSU, and if you still aren't sure about the problem, I will suggest taking it to a repair shop.

Did you check the hard drive to see if it's okay? You can connect it as a slave on another PC, and check. Check for its health, and if it's making noises.[DOUBLEPOST=1532084330][/DOUBLEPOST]If you aren't hearing any beeps, PC isn't getting to the boot phase, and is having issues before that. Definitely some kind of hardware issue, and not driver related.

Alright.. I havent heard of any beeps from my Gigabyte mobo.. When PC was running before..I did use CPU Temp software and it was running around 40 to 80 degree C.
Just to double check, is the beep speaker attached? I have seen people removing it. You need to go breadboard testing or barebone testing (google it). As they are called, you remove every components and keep the very basic. This means just 1 ram slot, wired keyboard,mouse, no wireless dongle, screen connected to mobo display slots, remove all ssd/hdd (in first run to see if post is working or not), etc. This way you may be able to troubleshoot to exact component

How much is the ideal temp for i3 processor 4th Gen?
Your temps are fine, beleive that 80 reached during load and not in idle

Just to double check, is the beep speaker attached? I have seen people removing it. You need to go breadboard testing or barebone testing (google it). As they are called, you remove every components and keep the very basic. This means just 1 ram slot, wired keyboard,mouse, no wireless dongle, screen connected to mobo display slots, remove all ssd/hdd (in first run to see if post is working or not), etc. This way you may be able to troubleshoot to exact component

Your temps are fine, beleive that 80 reached during load and not in idle

Ya, i have tried all that removing stuff from mobo and no result. Same boot loop.

And yes 80 degree was on load.. normally around 50. Although thermal paste has dried off my CPU.

Back