PC Freezing with Flickering Screen

Sometimes, PC problems can be weird, and difficult to diagnose.

PSU of my friend's PC went bad, but computer was booting up fine. It just wasn't detecting any of the hard drives, which was really weird, because okay, one drive can go bad, but that PC had three, two of them connected at a time. So, either the mobo had gone bad, which was unlikely, because not all ports can go bad like this. My thought went to PSU, that somehow it wasn't able to generate enough power or something to detect the drives. Went to a friend, and he checked with another PSU, and came to know PSU was the problem.

So, sometimes issues can be confusing.

You can try with a different PSU, and if you still aren't sure about the problem, I will suggest taking it to a repair shop.

Did you check the hard drive to see if it's okay? You can connect it as a slave on another PC, and check. Check for its health, and if it's making noises.[DOUBLEPOST=1532084330][/DOUBLEPOST]If you aren't hearing any beeps, PC isn't getting to the boot phase, and is having issues before that. Definitely some kind of hardware issue, and not driver related.

Ya.. its confusing and I am also facing such issue for first time. I believe most probably my ram slots are bad or else my PSU which I will check tonight. :banghead:

Didn't understand, when ypu first connected had only screen, 1 ram and no hdd did the post happen with 1 beep? and the pc was stable in the "no os found" display screen?

I mean I disconnected everything from Mobo like dvd, hard disk and ram also.. and the put ram to check and there was no beep. My PC never beeps I guess.

I mean I disconnected everything from Mobo like dvd, hard disk and ram also.. and the put ram to check and there was no beep. My PC never beeps I guess.
You need to keep atleast 1 RAM ;-) if post does not happen with minimum setup then one three is a problem mobo, psu or RAM. Now it is just a case of swapping ram and psu to zero in the component

I did ask you to double check.. Is the mobo speaker connected?

Last edited:
You need to keep atleast 1 RAM ;-) if post does not happen with minimum setup then one three is a problem mobo, psu or RAM. Now it is just a case of swapping ram and psu to zero in the component

I did ask you to double check.. Is the mobo speaker connected?

Ya... I did put one RAM to check.. I have only one RAM anyways.. I got one from friend to check but still I used one RAM only.

And I dont know if mobo speaker is connected or disconnected? Although I never disconnected anything from the mobo.

So your mobo speakers are not there, they should come with mobo and should be attached and hard to miss as they dangle out from near the usb headers.
Very likely that your mobo is gone as PSU is working if the fans are coming on. You will need to decide what you want to do as old mobo may cost approx the same as newer ones ;-)

Just because the fans are working, doesn't mean the PSU is working fine. As I posted my experience earlier, even with the bad PSU, everything was working fine, fans were coming on, lights were glowing, but no hard drives were being detected. So, don't rule out the PSU yet.

If the thermal paste has gone dry, you should put fresh one. I believe you had taken out the heat sink and checked? Putting fresh thermal paste will definitely help with the temperatures and proper operation of the PC. Sometimes, if you take out the heat sink and thermal paste has dried off, and you put the heat sink back on without replacing it, PC won't be able to run and shuts down. That happened with me with my old PC.

Did you try RAM on different slots on the motherboard? If yes, I don't believe both slots can go bad at once. Still, with computers, you never know. Let's hope something comes out of all this diagnosis.

So your mobo speakers are not there, they should come with mobo and should be attached and hard to miss as they dangle out from near the usb headers.
Very likely that your mobo is gone as PSU is working if the fans are coming on. You will need to decide what you want to do as old mobo may cost approx the same as newer ones ;-)

Ya.. The same costs more than what i paid.. Maybe i will buy some other mobo. And there is not much option except changing it if its dead.

Just because the fans are working, doesn't mean the PSU is working fine. As I posted my experience earlier, even with the bad PSU, everything was working fine, fans were coming on, lights were glowing, but no hard drives were being detected. So, don't rule out the PSU yet.

If the thermal paste has gone dry, you should put fresh one. I believe you had taken out the heat sink and checked? Putting fresh thermal paste will definitely help with the temperatures and proper operation of the PC. Sometimes, if you take out the heat sink and thermal paste has dried off, and you put the heat sink back on without replacing it, PC won't be able to run and shuts down. That happened with me with my old PC.

Did you try RAM on different slots on the motherboard? If yes, I don't believe both slots can go bad at once. Still, with computers, you never know. Let's hope something comes out of all this diagnosis.

Ya ram slot changing i tried already.. None of the 4 slots working. And i used short circuit test of psu and the fan was revolving. And none of my friends pc has 8 pin 12v connector to test my pc.. All have 4 pin ones.
I believe mobo is dead.. Although i will get it checked at pc shop tomorrow.

I don't know why no one has mentioned paperclip test yet.
If your pc has even stopped booting and if you have a dead psu then try this test.
https://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

If you can find the box which came with your psu then try and find it. It will contain a 24pin attachment which will connect to your 24pin motherboard port and work like paperclip. If you don't have that then simply follow above video.

I don't know why no one has mentioned paperclip test yet.
If your pc has even stopped booting and if you have a dead psu then try this test.
https://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

If you can find the box which came with your psu then try and find it. It will contain a 24pin attachment which will connect to your 24pin motherboard port and work like paperclip. If you don't have that then simply follow above video.
It's a good test but sometimes is not at all useful. Such as if your PSU, for some reason, is not able to handle the load, this test won't show it. It's useful to know that PSU is able to complete the circuit and turn on but not for anything else.

So, finally I took it to a shop and they said motherboard is dead..
Changed motherboard to BioStar H81MHV3 and its working fine now. I didnt even need to install new Windows 7. My previous one running without any problem.

Earlier I had I guess H61 and this time they gave H81.. is it okay?

Thanks everyone for their help ! :D

Nice! Also as I said earlier your mobo ram slot went.kaput and other slots were also dying. I have went through this issue twice.

Thanks for posting back. So, the motherboard had gone bad. Good that you confirmed it.

BioStar isn't such a good brand, right? Hearing its name for the first time.

Thanks for posting back. So, the motherboard had gone bad. Good that you confirmed it.

BioStar isn't such a good brand, right? Hearing its name for the first time.

Ya.. its a normal kind of brand.. I didnt want to invest in a good gigabyte mobo. thats why settled with this for now.. I am getting 1 yr warranty on this too if any problem happens.

Back