PC II - Off - Special Criteria - Budget & Req inside -

PC II - Off - Special Criteria - Budget & Req inside -

TEMPLATE:

1. Q: What is your budget?
25K. Though welcome to stretch it wee a bit more if absolutely neccessary.

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration
New purchase and irrelevant.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping
HDD: 320Gb SATA - WD AAKS

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy .
1. CPU - Intel or AMD
2. Motherboard - Any compatible motherboard
3. GPU - Prefer only good onboard graphics.
4. RAM - Corsair XMS or Corsair Vengeance 4Gb X 2 Nos - Which to go out for?
5. SMPS - Corsair VX 430 V2.
6. Display - 22"WS LCD/LED either DELL or BENQ. Any other choice is respected.
EDITED: Skip out the Display unit for the budget. Will use one of my home monitors for sometime b4 getting a new one. Hence revised budget of 25k for items 1 to 5. Also I have a spare cabby from Lian Li which will house the above.

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future.
1. Yes, will upgrade to 5~6 HDDs within 6 months.
6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Chennai
2. TE Dealers
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No.

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Should be able to run 2 server solutions based on SQL and also Tally ERP alongside it.
Dbase are kinda small for investing in server right now.
2. Desktop Processing
3. 24x7 operation

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike?
1. Prefer reputed brands having ASS in Chennai.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Not Applicable.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Max Resolution preferred.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Absolutely No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows 7 64 bit

^^ For this Sire,

AMD Phenom IIx6 1055T ~ 7800/-

Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 ~ 4800/- OR ASUS M4A88T M ~ 4800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 ~ 3300/-

Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2400/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

Dell ST2220L ~ 8800/-

Hope this helps.

Three points, i feel if all you plan to do is run server stuff on it, Bulldozer will be a better option, but pricing will be tricky.

Also ensure you get a basic GPU, pref 2nd hand~1k max so that the memory is not shared between CPU/IGP.

Also go for a mobo with 4 RAM slots as you might need to increase RAM in future.

vivek.krishnan said:
Three points, i feel if all you plan to do is run server stuff on it, Bulldozer will be a better option, but pricing will be tricky.

Also ensure you get a basic GPU, pref 2nd hand~1k max so that the memory is not shared between CPU/IGP.

Also go for a mobo with 4 RAM slots as you might need to increase RAM in future.

Despite a 9% higher base clock speed (more if you include turbo core), a 3.6GHz 8-core Bulldozer is only able to outperform a 3.3GHz 6-core Phenom II by less than 2%. Heavily threaded floating point workloads may not see huge gains on Bulldozer compared to their 6-core predecessors.

There's another issue. Bulldozer, at least at launch, won't have to simply outperform its quad-core predecessor. It will need to do better than a six-core Phenom II. In this comparison unfortunately, the Phenom II has the definite throughput advantage. The Phenom II X6 can execute 50% more SSE2/3 and x87 FP instructions than a Bulldozer based FX.

Since the release of the Phenom II X6, AMD's major advantage has been in heavily threaded workloads—particularly floating point workloads thanks to the sheer number of resources available per chip. Bulldozer actually takes a step back in this regard and as a result, you will see some of those same workloads perform worse, if not the same as the outgoing Phenom II X6.

Compared to Sandy Bridge, Bulldozer only has two advantages in FP performance: FMA support and higher 128-bit AVX throughput. There's very little code available today that uses AMD's FMA instruction, while the 128-bit AVX advantage is tangible.

BullDozer is weaker at threaded tasks than Thuban -- AnandTech - The Bulldozer Review: AMD FX-8150 Tested. So save cash go for Thuban.

Though your second point is valid, OP should consider getiing a HD 6570 OR similar performance card to offload RAM sharing between CPU and IGP.

Ok. Points taken.

1. Right now, onboard graphics is warranted. But in future will upgrade it. Also since its a SOHO with max connections with 3 computers, I think that onboard graphics will suffice. The question of sharing of memory with CPU & IGP wont arise since IGP will be using less. rite. Correct me if I am wrong.

2. AMD choices are still unclear. If prices are substantially more for small increase in efficiency, then leave the option.

3. Cabinet not needed right now. Have a Lian Li Spare which I will be using it.

^^ IF possible reinvest money saved on cabinet to get the AMD Phenom IIx6 1090T [slight boost in clock speed, with the Black Edition tag -- over-clock a year later to get a slight increment in performance] + AMD HD 5570 / HD 6570.

Any intel solutions to look out for.

@ vivek,

I do agree. BTW system memory means RAM rite. I will be using 8gb RAM, wont that suffice.

Anyway, will get the onboard solution rite now and buy a better graphic card around 3k a month later.

Mate, its not about how much RAM you have, but the fact that you will need to share it, meaning that the B/W will be halved between CPU and IGP. Get a GPu whenever you can, no problem. In fact, was planning to pickup that card for a build, which may now be postponed due to lack of funds.....

With Intel, you will have to spend much more. But IMO, its worth every single penny. And of course, fitting it in your budget could be very tricky.

Edit the Requirements to leave the monitor unit for the time being. Will be using Samsung 19" LCD or BenQ G2220HD, both being my home LCDs for now. Suggest some nice intel configs for now. All things remain the same.

Budget 25k, will be ok to stretch the limit a wee bit more. Have to get other prominent items costing another 25 large.

@ vivek

Mate, its not about how much RAM you have, but the fact that you will need to share it, meaning that the B/W will be halved between CPU and IGP. Get a GPu whenever you can, no problem. In fact, was planning to pickup that card for a build, which may now be postponed due to lack of funds.....

With Intel, you will have to spend much more. But IMO, its worth every single penny. And of course, fitting it in your budget could be very tricky.

I do get the concept, what I really meant was that the usage of the IGP will be very less rather than gaming & multimedia it will be display of some MS office contents & some DMS programs. Also Monitor will be off for most of the time.

The extra RAM too will be of importance.The system will be on most of the time and adding an extra IGP card will increase the power consumption too.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

^^ If you are so intent on Intel, here goes --

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 11500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 1600MHz modules(s) ~ 3300/-

AMD HD 6670 ~ 4800/-

Seasonic S12D 430W ~ 3000/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

That is all, from Intel, here is a match up of Intel vs. AMD observe the highly threaded applications AMD pulls ahead due to 2 extra cores, though this comes at the added costs of power consumption as well as most actual applications leave the hex-core starved for threads, thereby Intel performs better -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

Also Intel Sandy-Bridge memory controllers are very efficient now since they switched from FSB based architecture, 1600MHz memory is perfect pair and absolute value-for money -- http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/1.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ If you are so intent on Intel, here goes --

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 11500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 1600MHz modules(s) ~ 3300/-

AMD HD 6670 ~ 4800/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

That is all, from Intel, here is a match up of Intel vs. AMD observe the highly threaded applications AMD pulls ahead due to 2 extra cores, though this comes at the added costs of power consumption as well as most actual applications leave the hex-core starved for threads, thereby Intel performs better -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

Also Intel Sandy-Bridge memory controllers are very efficient now since they switched from FSB based architecture, 1600MHz memory is perfect pair and absolute value-for money -- AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3.

Thanks Alpha17 for the above.

As mentioned earlier, I already have a Lian Li cabby as spare which I will be using for this rig. Hence NZXT Gamma is not needed.

Also I want to have an internal IGP for the time being. Will later upgrade the graphics card.

Which is better Corsair XMS3 or Vengeance?

Now that I can spend a bit more, is there any other good motherboard from ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte to look out for ?

Any other SMPS other than Seasonic S12D and Corsair 430 to look out for ?

The reason is that if they are not available then I can get the other ones pronto.

?dOuBtFiRe? said:
Which is better Corsair XMS3 or Vengeance?

Well as you are not over-clocking, the XMS3 serves you just fine, as well the low height heat-spreaders used are much better than the flash used for Corsair Vengance in my views.

The standard Intel H67 based motherboard which I've suggested is best in your budget, has all the features it competitiors offer with robust A.S.S. as well as more DIMM slots for expansion later and SATA ports to boot.

For SMPS, I think one of the two will be available, else get the --> Gigabyte Superb 460W ~ 2100/- OR FSP Saga II 500W ~ 2500/-.

Hope this helps, cheers!!

Got the rig up & ready.

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 10800/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5700/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 1600MHz modules(s) ~ 3400/-

Have also got the deal with my friend who has agreed to give me his old RMA'd Msi 9400GT. Price @ 750 with 1.5yr warranty remaining. Is this ok. Graphic Card yet to receive it from him.

Installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit version and the softwares, have to update certain areas, otherwise its fine.

Thanks a lot everybody. Really helped me a lot.

^^ Go for it eyes closed, as long as you aren't gaming the 9400 should serve you in good stead atleast for 2 more years.

Congrats on the RIG buy though.

Hi all,

I am getting a second server with the same above mentioned config.

Except for the GPU.

Can you give me a model to go for. Max budget is 3k. I don't expect high. It is not expected to play games, watching HDmovies too.

Stress is on for Low power consumption.

Back