PC/laptop for Photoshop, Maya.. (40k)

satyanjoy

Skilled
One of my friend is looking for a multimedia workstation to work with photoshop and Maya. His budget is 40k, he is open for both Laptop(preferred) and PC
please suggest
===============
Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 40K
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
NONE
3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
NONE
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU - Intel quar core
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final
6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
NO
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Multimedia work
Photoshop
Maya
9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Open for everything
10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Racing
11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Gaming - 1280x728
2. Desktop - 1440x900
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
NO
13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows 7 64 bit
2. Windows Xp Sp3
3. Any OS who better suite my requirement
// The person who is going to use this setup is not much of a techie - so something off-the-shelve solution is required - modding will be big no-no for him at this point of time//

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Core i-5 750(2.66Ghz, 4 cores) 9900
Motherboard Intel DP55WB/Gigabyte P55 UD2 5500/6200
RAM Gskill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 4GB Kit 6400
HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 2200
GPU Sapphire 512MB DDR5 HD5670 5200
Monitor Dell S2009W 6500
Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500
PSU/SMPS Seasonic S12II 430/Corsair CX400 3000/2800
Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
Mouse NA -
ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 1000
Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 1100
Total ~42900

This setup should do fine but slightly exceeds budget.
If on a tight budget then you can probably skimp on the PSU and go for a FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 2k. Also you can go for 4GB 1333MHz Kingston RAM ~ 5.7k.
Most prices taken from
www.smcinternational.in
www.mediahome.in
These two are delaer based dealers in TE i guess. Chk the website for contacts or PM them.

Browsing through various comments in forums i observed ppl were commenting cheap quadros are no good. Also i dont know much about Professional GPU's. But do wait for others to comment. You have a budget of 5-7k for GPU after accounting for other components.

Some ppl talk about getting a GTS250 and soft modding it.

Sorry if i had mislead u with a gaming grade card. I should have mentioned this along with the config :(

DarkAngel said:
Browsing through various comments in forums i observed ppl were commenting cheap quadros are no good. Also i dont know much about Professional GPU's. But do wait for others to comment. You have a budget of 5-7k for GPU after accounting for other components.

Some ppl talk about getting a GTS250 and soft modding it.

Sorry if i had mislead u with a gaming grade card. I should have mentioned this along with the config :(

no need to apology dude :) I also don't have much knowledge about professional GPUs. I think here in India we have three options -

Nvidia Quadro

AMD/ATI FirePro

Matrox

.AKIK Matrox is more about multiple display rather workstation work..waiting for expert comment

wht are u going in in 3d ? eg: modeling,rendering

ati card does give good fps in maya and have display problem in it

on side note Quadro will cost you lot more...

go with Nvidia geforce card like 250,275,280 and make sure you have lot ram on those card eg: 1gb

gaganjain said:
wht are u going in in 3d ? eg: modeling,rendering

modeling and rendering both. have display problem in it

ati card does give good fps in maya and have display problem in it
- what display problem ?4670/5670 will do the job ?

on side note Quadro will cost you lot more...

go with Nvidia geforce card like 250,275,280 and make sure you have lot ram on those card eg: 1gb
how much a 250 1gb will cost ?

Ati card does not work that well with maya

while modeling you will see low frame rate and model will not display properly

I can't say about 4 and 5 series ati card..

You ask some to test for it...

gaganjain said:
Ati card does not work that well with maya

while modeling you will see low frame rate and model will not display properly

I can't say about 4 and 5 series ati card..

You ask some to test for it...

thanks for the info.i checked in autodesk maya website but they only mentioned generic system requirement with OS and RAM and all. They have not specifically mentioned about graphics card :mad: I think I need to start a specific thread for this

Back