CPU/Mobo PC not booting after running memtest.

Nolasco

Disciple
My Brother has been playing DOTA a lot and off late the PC has been freezing with various colour screens and restarting every few minutes (This only happens while playing and not with general use). I assumed it was a graphics driver problem so did a full reinstall of the graphics drivers however the issue still persisted.

Thinking it could be the ram, re-seated all three ram sticks and the PC ran fine for a day and then the issue cropped up again. Thinking it may have to do with the ram itself, I told him to run memtest (He ran the windows memory diagnostics overnight with no errors). He says he started Memtest and within 10 mins the PC shut down and is not booting at all now (CPU / PSU fans not spinning, no post / beeps nothing).

My config is as below:

Phenom II x4 955 BE with Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212
Gigabyte 78GPM-DS2H
5GB Ram (2x2GB Kingston 800Mhz + 1Gb Transcend 800 Mhz)
Zotac GTX750
Seasonic S12ii 430W
1TB Seagate HDD
_
I tried booting using another power cable, another known working SMPS (fans do not spin of both the smps'),
using the ram sticks individually, changed the cmos battery to no avail. I took apart the entire system and tried again but still nothing.

What could be the issue here? A motherboard fault? Any other troubleshooting I could try?

My Brother has been playing DOTA a lot and off late the PC has been freezing with various colour screens and restarting every few minutes (This only happens while playing and not with general use). I assumed it was a graphics driver problem so did a full reinstall of the graphics drivers however the issue still persisted.

Thinking it could be the ram, re-seated all three ram sticks and the PC ran fine for a day and then the issue cropped up again. Thinking it may have to do with the ram itself, I told him to run memtest (He ran the windows memory diagnostics overnight with no errors). He says he started Memtest and within 10 mins the PC shut down and is not booting at all now (CPU / PSU fans not spinning, no post / beeps nothing).

My config is as below:

Phenom II x4 955 BE with Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212
Gigabyte 78GPM-DS2H
5GB Ram (2x2GB Kingston 800Mhz + 1Gb Transcend 800 Mhz)
Zotac GTX750
Seasonic S12ii 430W
1TB Seagate HDD
_
I tried booting using another power cable, another known working SMPS (fans do not spin of both the smps'),
using the ram sticks individually, changed the cmos battery to no avail. I took apart the entire system and tried again but still nothing.

What could be the issue here? A motherboard fault? Any other troubleshooting I could try?
Check f the switch board the PSU is connected to is working. Since you said a different power supply is also not working, I am suspecting there is something wrong with the power passed onto the PSU itself.

Yes I have tried using multiple sockets and power cables too. Even if it is a motherboard / processor issue, the power supply should switch on and its fan should spin right? Nothing is happening at all. Can't figure out what the issue is. It just switched off while running memtest and seems to be dead after that!

Yes I have tried using multiple sockets and power cables too. Even if it is a motherboard / processor issue, the power supply should switch on and its fan should spin right? Nothing is happening at all. Can't figure out what the issue is. It just switched off while running memtest and seems to be dead after that!
Thats right. It should switch on the PSU at least. Check if you have switched off the PSU power switch while trying to resolve it. I know its basic but sometimes while we try too many things we might forget few things while experimenting to fix an issue.

So I was just trying once again and confirmed it's a board issue. The PSU switches on only when the 20pin power cable is attached but on attaching the other 4 pin cable, it doesn't switch on. Will take it to lamington road and see if it's practical to repair it.

So I was just trying once again and confirmed it's a board issue. The PSU switches on only when the 20pin power cable is attached but on attaching the other 4 pin cable, it doesn't switch on. Will take it to lamington road and see if it's practical to repair it.
ok that makes sense.

So got it fixed for 500Rs and was some issue with the power delivery so the guy said he changed some chip. It's worked for 2 months
and now the same issue again. I dont think its practical to repair the board again as it seems the issue will probably recur.

What makes better sense now?

1.Get a new AM3+ Board + DDR3 Ram?
2. Look for a second hand Am3+ board + Ram?
3. Switch over to Intel and replace CPU + MB + RAM?

Have not been using the desktop too much recently except for some light browsing and gaming (DOTA, FIFA 16, F1 etc) so I think the first two would
probably make better sense until Zen / Kaby lake comes out and could then upgrade. Suggestions please.

So got it fixed for 500Rs and was some issue with the power delivery so the guy said he changed some chip. It's worked for 2 months
and now the same issue again. I dont think its practical to repair the board again as it seems the issue will probably recur.

What makes better sense now?

1.Get a new AM3+ Board + DDR3 Ram?
2. Look for a second hand Am3+ board + Ram?
3. Switch over to Intel and replace CPU + MB + RAM?

Have not been using the desktop too much recently except for some light browsing and gaming (DOTA, FIFA 16, F1 etc) so I think the first two would
probably make better sense until Zen / Kaby lake comes out and could then upgrade. Suggestions please.

If you are satisfied with current rig and do not want to spend much, look around for used motherboard. New motherboard would most probably need RAM upgrades too.

Yeah new AM3+ boards all need DDR3 ram so thats an added expense, not that its that expensive now. Am ok with the performance for the time being since I dont
use the desktop all that much and the Phenom is still good enough for the few games I play. Will have to look for an AM2+ board. Dont think any new ones are available any longer (and specifically ones that support 125W processors).

Back