Budget 0-20k PC upgrade advice upto 15k

nidish_rise1

Disciple
Hi All,

This is my first post. My PC recently died due to some reason (yet to figure out). Apart from the existing HW mentioned below i had a E8200 processor with Abit-IP35E motherboard with 3GB DDR2 ram. I learned that the processor and MB died and hence am looking for a new Mobo and Proccy. Please help me with your expert advise on the config below. Thanks in advance.

1. Q: What is your budget?
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • GPU - Sapphire HD6850 1GB
    • Monitor - Acer 19inch LED
    • SMPS - Corsair GS600
    • HDD - WD 250GB SATA
    • SONY DVD-RW
    • SONY CD-RW
    • I-Ball Keyboard and mouse and a UPS
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    All the existing Hardware mentioned above
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i-series
    • Motherboard - any good compatible MB futureproof and over-clockable
    • RAM - atleast 4GB
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, this is my final configuration
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Maybe
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1366x768
  10. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes

You will not be able to get an over-clockable Intel configuration in that budget, the processor itself will cost ~13000/- add the price of a compatible motherboard and you are looking at nothing less than ~22000/- for the package [not including RAM].

This configuration is what I recommend --

Intel Core i5 2320 ~10500/-
Intel DH67-BL ~6500/-
Corsair Vengeance OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x1 ~1500/- [add another module of memory ~2 -->3 months later]

Hope this helps and happy gaming. Cheerio!!

thx for the advice mate...
Howz a Intel core i3 2120 with Asrock Z77 Pro MB?
Is that a good over-clockable config?
And, are intel mobo's over-clockable?

Howz a Intel core i3 2120 with Asrock Z77 Pro MB?
Is that a good over-clockable config?

No that configuration is also not over-clock capable.

In the Intel landscape, since the release of the Lynnfield lineup of processors the following barriers were set-up by Intel to prevent over-clocking processors --
  • budget H- affixed chipset are not over-clock capable, whilst P- affixed chipset are over-clock capable. The former can use the onboard IGP on the CPU to play video content and stand in as replacement to a discrete GPU; the latter cannot use the IGP on a CPU.
  • with the advent of Sandy-Bridge Intel compounded the problem by making it mandatory to have an unlocked processor denoted by a -k suffix to the model name.
  • so now in Intel's case you need either a P67 / Z68 / Z77 motherboard + Intel Core i5xxxxk combo.
  • now this makes buying a Core i3 2120 + ASRock Z77 Extrem4 motherboard useless as the procesor is locked an you cannot over-clock.

No following chipsets by Intel are over-clocking supportive --
P67 / Z68 / Z77 / X79 [for LGA socket 1366 processors];

chipsets not supportive of over-clocking --
H61 / H67 / H77

Hope this answers your queries, Cheerio!!

Also I have 2 PATA devices (CD and DVD writers) Any way i can connect them in the upgraded config?

Considering your situation, why are you in the market for a Z77 motherboard, your budget curtails you to a H67 motherboard.

Still I would prefer that you avoid this GIGABYTE Z77 offering because --
  • inadequate heat-sinks for effectively cooling a over-clocked Ivy-Bridge processor;
  • poor implementation of the UEFI BIOS, GIGABYTE and most other manufacturer lag behind in this aspect to ASUS;
  • most GIGABYTE motherboards, after the release of their Cougar-Point [H67 / P67 / Z68] editions are held in low esteem compared to offerings from MSi, ASRock and ASUS.

For your PATA devices no option but to add a PCI / PCIe adapter card to attach these, after the Cougar-Point chipsets Intel has completely phased out PATA device support.

sorry for the delayed response mate..

whats the difference between Intel DH67-BL and Intel DH67-CL. Also the CL seems to be a bit cheaper here.

sorry for the delayed response mate..

whats the difference between Intel DH67-BL and Intel DH67-CL. Also the CL seems to be a bit cheaper here.

Not an issue, the only difference between the two motherboards you have short-listed is that the -BL is based on the a mATX form-factor whilst the -CL is based around a full-ATX form-factor; rest the motherboards are exact copies of each other.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Back