Budget 71-90K PC upgrade time, need suggestions.

chezy

Disciple
Hi,

My PC is 3 years old now and I have been making incremental updates but I think it is time for an upgrade to get it VR ready or maybe I should wait for Zen or new Intel CPU's. Please let me know your thoughts;

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K
    • Motherboard - Asus Z87-K
    • GPU - Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4G
    • RAM - G.Skill Sniper 4GB 1600MHz
    • Monitor - Dell 2409
    • PSU - Corsair VX450
    • Cooler - Cooler Master hyper EVO 212
    • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide 200R
    • Keyboard & Mouse - Razer
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 2409
    • GPU - Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4G
    • Storage - Existing HDD / SSD
    • Keyboard and Mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • Motherboard -
      Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    • Cooler - Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    • Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory or GSkill Ripjaws
    • Storage - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (For OS)
    • Cabinet - Corsair Obsidian 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
    • PSU - Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 to 12 months
    • GPU - Another GPU in asymmetric crossfire.
    • A high
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • TheITWares, Amazon, Flipkart
  7. Would you consider buying a second-hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • VR Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation (On occasions for Steam)
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Mobo Asus only, SMPS Corsair or Seasonic Only.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • MMO - Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen
    • Strategy - Civilization 4, XCOM 2
    • FPS - DOOM, Fallout
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming & Desktop - 1080, Maybe higher after Monitor upgrade.
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

• CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard - Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Cooler - Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory or GSkill Ripjaws
  • Storage - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (For OS)
  • Cabinet - Corsair Obsidian 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
  • PSU - Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

The above said Config of yours is excellent and don't need any more changes to it. Go with it.

your current config is pretty powerful.
going for vr will require a gpu (rather than a cpu) upgrade.
current gen is at it's limits with not much improvement over your r9 290.
i'd suggest you wait for pascal/polaris as they will be more suited for vr.
right now i think maybe adding more ram and an ssd would be the only worthwhile upgrades.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions !!!

@Crapmypants : I already have a Corsair Force 120 Gig drive which has my OS at the moment, I didn't mention it in the template.

Do you guys think that I should invest only in water cooling now, OC the existing 4670K and wait for the next Gen CPU & GPU's to drop before committing to an upgarde.

o_O

Care to substantiate please?
ditch your gtx110 crapcooler and get something like this.

ifzssm.jpg

You can easily get a excellent watercooling setup for 6-12k and your pc will run dead cool n silent

Thanks everyone for your suggestions !!!

@Crapmypants : I already have a Corsair Force 120 Gig drive which has my OS at the moment, I didn't mention it in the template.

Do you guys think that I should invest only in water cooling now, OC the existing 4670K and wait for the next Gen CPU & GPU's to drop before committing to an upgarde.
You can get mind blowing water cooling under 8-12k.go for a custom loop .

I can give u a configuration if you want
Or even buy you one

My present case (Corsair Carbide 200R), does not have sufficient space for a Reservoir and Pump, if I upgrade, I have considered the 450D assuming I would go for a watercooled system. I would'nt mind going for a custom water cooling arrangement, though, I'm not to confident with the quality I could achieve.

My present case (Corsair Carbide 200R), does not have sufficient space for a Reservoir and Pump, if I upgrade, I have considered the 450D assuming I would go for a watercooled system. I would'nt mind going for a custom water cooling arrangement, though, I'm not to confident with the quality I could achieve.

Quality will be gr8.
I got a watercooled 200r with me works fine with EKWB blocks
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/full-custom-watercooling-guide.178786/

i can configure a rig for you if u want :)

Quality will be gr8.
I got a watercooled 200r with me works fine with EKWB blocks
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/full-custom-watercooling-guide.178786/

i can configure a rig for you if u want :)

My PC's in Oman at the moment, I'm in Mumbai on leave but will be leaving soon. I would have to lug the entire thing here or send the stuff here by cargo to get the Water Cooling done. Also I do not want to invest in water cooling the i5 right now, only to require a new water block/back-plate when I upgrade.

I think I will go with @Crapmypants suggestion & wait for the next gen GPU's to drop and get a clearer picture about AMD Zen before purchasing anything. I will contact you on the forums when the time comes for the Water Cooling stuff .

Back