Budget 51-70k PC Upgrade/Update advice

Krow1212

Recruit
Hi!
My current rig was built nearly 4 years ago, and I'm wondering if I should build a new configuration or try to selectively change components.

My primary usage is for playing games, but I also work on Unreal Engine and Unity on some side projects.
I have both 1080p and 4k displays, so while 4k gaming is nice to have, i'm not looking to target it

Current Rig:
i7 4770k
Asus strix GTX 970
Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb
Motherboard - Asus Z97 - C
PSU - 650W
128 SSD + 1 TB HDD
Stock cooling for everything

My budget is about 60k for upgrades, so I'm thinking of grabbing an RTX 2070 or even a 2080 by stretching and increasing the RAM to 16. Some things i'm not sure about-
- Would the 4770k bottleneck the 2070/80?
- Would there be any performance improvement by installing a better cooler than the stock options? I've rarely hard temperature spikes, but the fans get loud regularly.
- Is there anything I need to look out for because of the age of the existing hardware?
- Should I wait for a while and just build a new one from scratch?

- Would the 4770k bottleneck the 2070/80?

No, it should not but I do not think you are away from a CPU upgrade as well.

- Would there be any performance improvement by installing a better cooler than the stock options? I've rarely hard temperature spikes, but the fans get loud regularly.

Cleaning dust if any and changing thermal paste should help I think. Also check if it is possible to control fan speed via BIOS when connected to motherboard.

In bios monitor tab you can control the fan noise by setting them to silent option.
For more tweaking install Asus monitoring tool on desktop and play with the settings.

No bottleneck at 4k, Go for 2070 super and upgrade cpu cooler to Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo, the dual fan one to prevent cpu throttling, you can even overclock a little, it comes with a good paste.

Enjoy, 4k gaming.

Back