Ram or mobo

• Ram

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Mobo

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

saumik_

Adept
Okay so my pc stopped booting suddenly, i had just installed a new drive and finished transferring stuff of the old one and it was working fine. Then suddenly it wouldn't come on. ESD maybe? :s

At first i thought it was the psu as the gpu, cpu and cabinet fan would shut off or respin after 5 secs. No beeps so didn't know what exactly went wrong, also the internal speaker made a clicking sound. So i had the psu rma'd, took 4 weeks - thanks antec.

Now it still wont boot, sometimes i get a single 'all ok' beep but no boot (restart). Sometimes no beeps just fans spin and a continuous clicking sound from internal speaker, if i leave the gpu in, its fans match the clicking sound as in- start, stop. No gpu then sometimes i get 1 long 3short beeps which suggest ram issues - ami bios. If i switch the rams around, just one- again either no beeps or 1l, 3s, no boot or display via onboard.

I have no where to test or swap equip besides going for rma, so need to figure if its ram or mobo. Already removed battery to clear cmos. Help appreciated.

Setup:
I5 4440
Giga b85m-d3h
2x4 Kingston fury
Wd hdd
R9 270x
Antec neo 520

Did you try BOTH ram chips (one at a time, and in different slots) ? Just to eliminate possibility of faulty RAM chip or faulty RAM slot on mobo... biggest clue is you got the 1 long 3 short beeps indicating RAM issue...

Yes tried ram 1 at a time, all slots, no boot. But sometimes it would give single beep but yet no boot! So still confused

remove the gpu and tried test it one pair stick of 1 ram or another if working and tried put back 2 ram and test if working

It could also be CPU, or CPU pins on MoBo. Also it could be some heating issue of the CPU which might be preventing the system to boot up.
Try removing both RAM and see if display is coming up and showing that RAM is missing.

Yup there's one bent cpu pin on the mobo. God knows how it's been running for a year and then suddenly this without it having been opened?

Also will accel repair it on the spot at lamington?

Last edited:
It depends on which pin got bent. It might have got damaged over the span of time. I have had a pin got bent on my MoBo and due to that two of RAM slots stopped working which were towards CPU socket.

It could also be due some other reasons too, so you should test the peripherals in some other pc.
Like changing RAM or using another processor on your board.
You can post various results here and we help you find out where exactly the problem lies.

Went to gigabyte service center today, after an hour of waiting, they checked it. Found no issues, tried with my cpu and ram, its the cpu.

Batt was low, managed to only pull up an old intel office at Lamington which was shutdown, will have to go again to get it rma'd. First time I've faced an issue with intel.

same thing happened to me with the same motherboard but that i got from RMA... have again returned it for RMA lets see what happens.. its starts for first 5 secs and then the cycle goes on till i take off the power cord from the PSU

Back