Peculiar Passport Renewal Case - Please Help

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

I'm stuck in a weird situation regarding my passport expiry. My current passport, which has been valid since the past 10 years will expire in September 2012. Now, my company might be sending me on-site out of the India to next month or maximum by April of this year. Total duration for the visit will be 3-4 months. I have heard that you need at least 6 months validity on your passport to travel abroad. Will this pose problems for me while coming back (which should be around August-September)?

Should I initiate procedures to get my passport renewed right away? If yes, would I need to submit my current passport? When I do that, how do I travel? How long will that procedure take?

I have also heard about Tatkal renewal of passport. Is that an option? I was a "minor" (under-18) when the passport was issued to me. So do I need to get it converted as a "major" passport? I would like to get it done as early as possible since my employers would be initiating the visa procedures soon. If anyone knows anything in these matters, please help.

Thanks.

Yeah your passport should have at least 6 months validity (1 year is preferred) as you'll be out for 4-5 months don't take chance and get it renewed and about minor to major I think you do have to get it converted. Get in touch with an agent or go to passport office and get more information

Re-issue cases after expiry of 10 years validity

Within 3 working days of the date of application

Rupees 1,500/- plus the passport fee of Rs.1000/

Source - http://passport.gov....atkalScheme.htm

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck in a weird situation regarding my passport expiry. .......

It's better you get it renewed and as Punker said it costs Rs 1500 via agent, i had my mother's passport renewed via a known agent (travels) as it was expiring in April 2012 (10 yrs) and since I had no time restrictions i got the new one in 2 weeks time, i mean the agent took his time...even though you can do it on your own, I preferred the agent for a tension free renewal
<

Yea I do know of an agent, I'll most probably be meeting him tomorrow. I willing to shell out whatever is needed (within reasonable limits) to get this done quickly.

I have one question though, lets say I submit my passport for renewal to this agent. How long till I get it back? Since my employers would need it for their visa procedures, isn't it? Or is it that I'll get my new passport itself?

If you have all the required documents for a Tatkal renewal, and don't mind paying the premium associated with it, I would recommend you take that approach than feeding an 'agent'.

Paying money to agents
<
. Visit www.passportindia.gov.in . Reissue will be done in less than a week.

Please enter the passport office under jurisdiction of which your present address falls.*

Note: Facility of user registration for submitting passport application online is currently available only for applicants residing under jurisdiction of Passport Offices (POs) Ahmedabad , Amritsar , Bangalore , Bareilly , Chandigarh , Chennai , Cochin , Coimbatore , Delhi , Hyderabad , Jaipur , Jalandhar , Kolkata , Kozhikode , Madurai , Malappuram , Patna , Surat , Trichy , Trivandrum and Visakhapatnam. This facility will be available for applicants all over India soon.

Its not available for Mumbai, thats why

It's better you get it renewed and as Punker said it costs Rs 1500 via agent, i had my mother's passport renewed via a known agent (travels) as it was expiring in April 2012 (10 yrs) and since I had no time restrictions i got the new one in 2 weeks time, i mean the agent took his time...even though you can do it on your own, I preferred the agent for a tension free renewal

Rs. 1500 is tatkal fees + rs. 1000 renewal charges. Total you'll be paying rs.2500 to passport office if you go directly and add another rs. 1000 if u go through agent

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Rs. 1500 is tatkal fees + rs. 1000 renewal charges. Total you'll be paying rs.2500 to passport office if you go directly and add another rs. 1000 if u go through agent

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yep, doing exactly that, but according to him, Tatkal might be difficult since the passport is being converted from minor to major. I just want to get it done with fast, as my company can ask for it anytime
<

Pls get it renewed ASAP as in NOW.

You are not allowed to travel In'tl if the passport expires within 6months. Also renewal is pretty quick so do it asap.

I was a minor too but got mine done quickly. Just have all the papers and make the process smooth.

Yep, doing exactly that, but according to him, Tatkal might be difficult since the passport is being converted from minor to major. I just want to get it done with fast, as my company can ask for it anytime
<

the procedure isn't different from what is followed normally now that u've turned major. Experienced myself, that's why i can vouch for it. Not even a single additional step was needed.

I hope the agent isn't taking you for a ride. Press him for tatkal.

Well, sh!t has happened.
<

My company has asked for my passport scans and other documents to initiate work permit proceedings. According to them, it would take 8-10 weeks. I did make a scan of the first and last page of my old passport before giving it to the agent. He has gotten a date for next week at the passport office for me. What should I do? Should I give the old passport scans to my company?

Tell them about the situation as old passport will be of no use to your company because your visa will be rejected if they use your old passport to apply for visa

Then the opportunity will go to someone else. For 10 bloody years, the passport was just lying around. When its actually time to be of some use, its getting expired
<
<
<

Yes, talk with them & make them understand. Meanwhile do not pay 'more' agent. Let not take them advantage of your situation.

Back