Pedestal/ Table fan

Please don't laugh because I am creating a thread for a simple appliance like this. The summer has kicked in too hard and I can't afford to run AC and the low air of ceiling fan is killing me with the bloody mosquito net put up. So I am looking for a good quality pedestal or table fan. I have one 30+ year old Orient fan in the other room, it works just fine, air flow is good, all metal built and stuffs, found that it consumes around 65W at peak speed. I already checked on amazon and there are way too many fans nowadays from various brands. Just looking for a good quality fan which will last long (durability nowadays the main concern), have good enough air flow, doesn't consume that much power etc. You know the drill, no fancy stuffs (if it comes with remote though that would be great Lol). Basically which brand to look for amongst the gazillion of them around? Either pedestal or table, both work for me. Lower the cost the better.

I have been using the atmoberg/gorilla make table pedestal fan, it has a BLDC motor and cosumes about 22 watts to 35watts power depending on speed 1 to speed 3, it also comes with a remote.

Only annoying thing is the beep sound for any key press be it from the remote or on the fan or when power returns. But it works well, with good air flow.

Hi,
Last year I searched a lot for this item, so after a research I personally selected these two items for myself -
Orient Electric Tornado-II 450mm 3 Blade Pedestal Fan , this item is good in quality and performs well. power consumption is 90w
you can also try this -
Panasonic F-45XSA-G 450mm this one is with less power consumption and plastic body, but more silent than orient electric.

you can google yourself for more details , you won't be disappointed.

what I personally recommend is go with 450mm size instead of 400mm. so you'll get more volume of air at low RPM which is more silent.

I have been using the atmoberg/gorilla make table pedestal fan, it has a BLDC motor and cosumes about 22 watts to 35watts power depending on speed 1 to speed 3, it also comes with a remote.

Only annoying thing is the beep sound for any key press be it from the remote or on the fan or when power returns. But it works well, with good air flow.
Well now as you talk of the BLDC fans, that was my plan for long time, to change all the ceiling fans in my house with BLDC fans. All the ceiling fans in my house are either 25+ years old and few are 35+ years old Lol.

However, I keep seeing two concerns for BLDC tech. First is, maintenance cost is high, what's up with that? If a BLDC fan goes kaput, local electricians won't be able to repair it or what? And will the cost it be higher than normal fans?

And another is, someone said, as its DC, it's more susceptible to thunders/ lightning strikes. Well we never turn our ceiling fans off in during thunders, so will that be a problem? I don't want to invest behind something which is high maintenance and difficult to repair, but I am asking here from other BLDC users, as not everything you read on amazon/ flipkart can be trusted.

Well now as you talk of the BLDC fans, that was my plan for long time, to change all the ceiling fans in my house with BLDC fans. All the ceiling fans in my house are either 25+ years old and few are 35+ years old Lol.

However, I keep seeing two concerns for BLDC tech. First is, maintenance cost is high, what's up with that? If a BLDC fan goes kaput, local electricians won't be able to repair it or what? And will the cost it be higher than normal fans?

And another is, someone said, as its DC, it's more susceptible to thunders/ lightning strikes. Well we never turn our ceiling fans off in during thunders, so will that be a problem? I don't want to invest behind something which is high maintenance and difficult to repair, but I am asking here from other BLDC users, as not everything you read on amazon/ flipkart can be trusted.
BLDC fans can be repaired by local persons, as long as the transformer inside is not kaput, if the transformer inside goes you have to replace the board. I see lots of BLDC PCB boards filled with components being sold in india.
So spares wont be a issue. In my house I have 4 bldc ceiling fans and one bldc pedestal fans.

These fans operate at a wide range upto 290v input. If a direct lighting strike occurs in the grid, I don't see any fan or appliance surviving it, unless its switched off with a double pole switch.

In terms of maintenance there is not much other then the fact that start up companies use cheaper bearings which may make more noise. Well established companies use more expensive bearings when I say expensive it will only be in Rs 20 to 50 more expensive but thats how the start up small companies maximize profits.

BLDC fans can be repaired by local persons, as long as the transformer inside is not kaput, if the transformer inside goes you have to replace the board. I see lots of BLDC PCB boards filled with components being sold in india.
So spares wont be a issue. In my house I have 4 bldc ceiling fans and one bldc pedestal fans.

These fans operate at a wide range upto 290v input. If a direct lighting strike occurs in the grid, I don't see any fan or appliance surviving it, unless its switched off with a double pole switch.

In terms of maintenance there is not much other then the fact that start up companies use cheaper bearings which may make more noise. Well established companies use more expensive bearings when I say expensive it will only be in Rs 20 to 50 more expensive but thats how the start up small companies maximize profits.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I have decided to go for the BLDC ceiling fans. However, looking at the 3-year warranty provided by Atomberg, I am deciding to go for the Crompton Energion HS fan, which comes with a 5-year warranty. But its only 1200 mm and I need one 1400 mm but crompton doesn't offer any BLDC under 1400 mm. I have found Superfan offers 5-year warranty on their fans as well, and they do have 1400 mm BLDCs, do you think Superfan is any inferior to Atomberg or anything of the sort?

Sorry for late reply, but internet was out for over a week due to cyclone and other nonsensical matters.

I know from BEE that superfan has lower airflow then atomberg. The service support of atomberg has been good for me. I had a 1400mm fan that had issue with its bearing they changed the bearing, but again after a month the same occured( possibly due to the 4 foot long crappy aftermarket fan rod in my high ceiling roof causing it to oscillate a lot), they then sent a replacement fan motor and collected the old one only after I gave they the go ahead.
I have now been using the replacement fan for 1 year now and no issues, I took a spirit level and mounted the fan correctly to minimize oscillations. I think 1400mm fan in 12*11 foot room is overkill. The same size 1400mm fan in a 15*15 room with stock fan rod has no issues at all.

I have no idea about crompton, so far I have a gorilla bldc 1200mm, 2x 1400mm fans and one Orient aero quiet Bldc fan which is very quiet and has a cone shapped air flow covering the entire room but it costs around 7k. Also have a regular aeroquiet fan.

Superfan user here since 2013.
The one I bought in 2013 is still working good. Bought 4 more down the line. Not a single issue till date.

Have Orient aero as well. If you don't want the bells and whistles then superfan is good. Otherwise Orient is good for the features it offers. Can't say much about the durability yet as it's been just 6 months.

Back