Pensioners going to be next major causalities of Aadhar

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Govt is now making Pensioners verify themselves via Aadhar Finger print matching while submitting live certificate (required every year). If the finger prints cannot be verified,they will lose their pension.

People who cannot provide unique and identifiable fingerprints will not get Aadhar. Many aged people fall into this category due to worn out finger prints. Even for the people who did get manage to get enrolled, matching the fingerprint again is not going to be easy.

My mom had to go for submitting the live certificate for her person today and apparently many elderly people were unable to clear the fingerprint matching. They were turned away and asked to come and try later. If they cannot complete the process, they will lose their pensions after Mar 2018.

They are justifying it by citing a few isolated cases of pension system abuse where people were found be collecting pension in the name of a dead person, but the real goal seems to be reduce pension costs by thinning down the pensioner base by imposing a condition that many aged people are not going to meet.

Hitler apparently didn't like having people with physical/mental handicaps and aged people around as he thought they represented a blemish in his notion of a perfect race without weakness and so he methodically eradicated them from society through various ways. The present govt seems to be technically achieving the same results through Aadhar and other initiatives.

It's not like we didn't have casualties before because of government's hare-brained 'economic' policies.

Sorry for dark humour.

So if they fail to do finger print validation, they won`t be getting their pension ?

Conventionally they were needed to be present in banks to do this verification, is that no more available?

^^ It looks like they have made the process more lengthy and cumbersome. The pensioner must be present in person and stand in line (for hours as the scanners are slow and fail often) to complete the Aadhar fingerprint verification. If the verification goes through successfully, they will be given a form which they need to fill and again stand in a line to submit. Note that this is the process for live certificate submission at Tehsildar's office. Banks probably have the same process as well.

And yes, if they fail the finger print verification, they won't be completing the live certificate requirement and would lose pension starting from next Financial year. As per my mom, the staff clearly told the pensioners that they will lose the pension from Apr 2018 if the could not clear the fingerprint match.

Last edited:
^^ It looks like they have made the process more lengthy and cumbersome. The pensioner must be present in person and stand in line (for hours as the scanners are slow and fail often) to complete the Aadhar fingerprint verification. If the verification goes through successfully, they will be given a form which they need to fill and again stand in a line to submit. Note that this is the process for live certificate submission at Tehsildar's office. Banks probably have the same process as well.

And yes, if they fail the finger print verification, they won't be completing the live certificate requirement and would lose pension starting from next Financial year. As per my mom, the staff clearly told the pensioners that they will lose the pension from Apr 2018 if the could not clear the fingerprint match.

What about Retinal scans?

Iris scanners are a much costlier proposition (30 to 40k per scanner alone) compared to fingerprint scanners which is why they are not being used for Aadhar based Verification.I don't think UIDAI is even exposing the Iris data for verification purposes at the moment. Fingerprint is going to be the standard mechanism which is why it is becoming a bottle neck for Aadhar enrollment and matching.

Also Iris scanning will have the same kind of issue for people with ocular deceases like cataract for example which is common among aged people.

I have to go to my dad's village to take my 89 year old grandma to get pension. at bank. they don't even provide the facility to arrange for someone to come to home and verify even if we are willing to pay some money.

I don't think this can be a hard and fast rule. When we got our Aadhar made, I made the person untick the option of giving permission to share our biometric data. My Mom has never been able to open accounts or get a SIM through fingerprint authentication due to the same reason. The bank officer tried while we were opening our account last year but authentication failed. Unfortunately, I forgot to get that option unticked in my Aadhar submission.
I'll know more when I go with my Mom to fill her life certificate in the next few days.

I don't think this can be a hard and fast rule. When we got our Aadhar made, I made the person untick the option of giving permission to share our biometric data. My Mom has never been able to open accounts or get a SIM through fingerprint authentication due to the same reason. The bank officer tried while we were opening our account last year but authentication failed. Unfortunately, I forgot to get that option unticked in my Aadhar submission.
I'll know more when I go with my Mom to fill her life certificate in the next few days.
you mean you locked your mom's adhaar so it couldnt verify without fingerprints and OTP ?

you mean you locked your mom's adhaar so it couldnt verify without fingerprints and OTP ?
Nope.
When registering for Aadhar, there is an option where you can decide whether to share your biometric data with other parties. If you untick that option, Aadhar becomes just another ID and can't be used as a digital ID verifiable just by fingerprints.
Basically, the biometric data can't be shared with anyone and hence no third party gets access to your biometric data. Therefore, they have to do KYC the usual way even if I have Aadhar.

Nope.
When registering for Aadhar, there is an option where you can decide whether to share your biometric data with other parties. If you untick that option, Aadhar becomes just another ID and can't be used as a digital ID verifiable just by fingerprints.
Basically, the biometric data can't be shared with anyone and hence no third party gets access to your biometric data. Therefore, they have to do KYC the usual way even if I have Aadhar.

Isn't this the same as the lock/unlock option in the mAdhaar app?

untitled.JPG

In case of finger print failure, no alternative ?

Nope.
Then whats the use of adhaar?

Then whats the use of adhaar?
I didn't want to get Aadhar made in the first place, but since we have recently moved to this village and since most officials in village offices and banks are ignorant we had to get it made. They keep asking for Aadhar no matter what over here and to pacify them and the need of a local ID made me go for Aadhar despite my own reservations against it.

In case of finger print failure, no alternative ?

Presently none. Iris scanners can be used as a secondary option though they are not guaranteed to be , but who know when or if they will be provisioned for govt offices.

Yesterday, my mom had to go again since there was a very long line the day before. She was telling me that somebody had to bring a paralytic patient for the finger print verification and it obviously didn't go through. First of all they couldn't even keep their finger on the scanner without help. Also the hands themselves change over time when somebody is struck with paralysis. They were apparently told that the office might possibly get Iris scanner around March and to come back around that time to see if an Iris scan could be done. However Iris scan is also not going to be easy for a paralytic patient. They were however clear that he would lose his pension if the verification cannot be completed.

I really hate the BJP fans who thoughtlessly support linking Aaadhar to everything just because its being advocated by their favorite politicians. They don't think about the suffering of the people and make of light of it saying that the people suffering are just a 1% minority. They don't consider that they too have a right to live.

Presently none. Iris scanners can be used as a secondary option though they are not guaranteed to be , but who know when or if they will be provisioned for govt offices.

Yesterday, my mom had to go again since there was a very long line the day before. She was telling me that somebody had to bring a paralytic patient for the finger print verification and it obviously didn't go through. First of all they couldn't even keep their finger on the scanner without help. Also the hands themselves change over time when somebody is struck with paralysis. They were apparently told that the office might possibly get Iris scanner around March and to come back around that time to see if an Iris scan could be done. However Iris scan is also not going to be easy for a paralytic patient. They were however clear that he would lose his pension if the verification cannot be completed.

I really hate the BJP fans who thoughtlessly support linking Aaadhar to everything just because its being advocated by their favorite politicians. They don't think about the suffering of the people and make of light of it saying that the people suffering are just a 1% minority. They don't consider that they too have a right to live.

No, I meant alternative way like conventionally they have to be present in bank and sign the certificate. This finger print was brought to remove the hassle of visiting the banks right?

They (BJP) didn't give a f--k to the scores of people who died during demonetization or daily wage laborers who either lost their jobs or could not even eat meals properly cause they had to stand in some stupid queue because of just one politician going on a power hungry trip. You think they care about people now?

No, I meant alternative way like conventionally they have to be present in bank and sign the certificate. This finger print was brought to remove the hassle of visiting the banks right?

This thing was bought in under the pretext that there were a few cases where some people colluded with the bank/tehsildar office employees to submit live certificates for already deceased people so that they can continue getting the pensions deposited into accounts. The bio-metric verification step was to prevent this from happening. Those kind of frauds did really happen and just a few days back, it was being shown on TV as well, but how this step is going to deny pensions to elderly people who really need the money to survive.

Do you seriously think that govt's would do anything to reduce hassle for the common people? The central BJP govt in particular sees people as nothing more than grunts working to feed them with taxes. Just a while back, the people living in dangerous and poorly defended border areas were called strategic assets and that they shouldn't move from there. What they probably meant is that if there were civilians around, the govt would gather sympathies from the world whenever these people get bombed or killed. How is the govt is viewing people. We are just assets to be used or discarded.[DOUBLEPOST=1510909680][/DOUBLEPOST]
They (BJP) didn't give a f--k to the scores of people who died during demonetization or daily wage laborers who either lost their jobs or could not even eat meals properly cause they had to stand in some stupid queue because of just one politician going on a power hungry trip. You think they care about people now?

The Govt's attitude is given thing. I am taking about the idiots who blindly defend everything they do.

Last edited:
Went and got my mother's life certificate signed and uploaded within 5 minutes at IDBI Bank. No fingerprint verification needed but then IDBI Bank handles it's own pension fund and this is not a government pension.
Let's see how does it go at SBI next where govt pension comes.

Back