Budget 71-90K Performance Desktop Under 80K

adikumar2010

Disciple
I want to build a performance desktop. I won't be gaming on it at the moment. I usually don't buy new computer before 6-7 years. My last 2 desktop both lasted 8 years each without upgrading CPU & Mobo (Only RAM + Storage I added)

I have some parts from old build -
1) Case : NZXT GUARDIAN 921 Guardian 921 Mid tower Steel Chassis ATX
2) PSU : Corsiar VX-550W

My budget is around 70K. The software that I use mostly eat up decent amount of CPU resources and read/write lot on the drives. I don't need any separate GPU at the moment, but onboard GPU whether it is on CPU or on Mobo should be decent enough to handle day to day tasks like playing two 4K videos simultenously, etc.

I usually buy a solid motherboard & CPU then upgrade components like extra RAM, GPU, NVME SSD, etc over the years.

I need the following things :

1. CPU
a) Probably Intel : Reason being is that I don't want to invest in GPU as of now and all AMD APU's are not very powerful as CPU's. I was looking for a AMD APU but all of them are average on the CPU raw power. If I want to get top end CPU from AMD it will not have graphics on it.
b) Won't be overclocking
e) Why can I not find locked CPU (without K) like Intel Core i9-9900 or Intel Core i7-9700 online in Indian market. Why pay extra $50 to get K series processor if I will never OC it. Also with most K series processor you need to buy Cooling solution separetely (Probably will have to goto Nehru Place, Delhi to find it)

2. Motherboard :
a) Which has as at least 2 X PCIEx16 slots, incase I plan to to add 2 GPUs or intel optane or maybe some pcie 4.0 NVME drives in future.
b) Minimum 3 X M2.PCIE slots so I can add more NVME SSD later or intel optane.
c) Type C USB 3.1 Gen2 port in REAR.
d) Built in Wifi that can atleast support 1 Gbps internet connection. And do not share bandwidth with USB ports like on some Gigabyte Mobos.
e) At least 2 display out (HDMI or Display Port doesn't matter)
f) Is there any motherboard that has onboard graphics like back in the old days or they just stopped doing it completely.

3. SSD PCIE NVME :
a) 512 GB minimum
b) Should have very good read/write speeds

4. RAM :
a) Fastest RAM I can get with lowest timings. I think DDR4-2666 is max.
b) 16GB : I am not sure if it's better to get 8 X 2 sticks or just one. Problem is most ATX Mobo will have 4 slots and if I fill 2 of them up now than ONLY 2 are left empty (But I do understand the benefits of using RAM in dual channel)
c) If I buy 2 X 8GB stick now. Can I later add 2 X 16GB or do they have to be 2 X 8GB sticks?

So far I have these 2 items from old build :
1) Case : NZXT GUARDIAN 921 Guardian 921 Mid tower Steel Chassis ATX
2) PSU : Corsiar VX-550W

And these are the components I have decided :
1) CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (16k)
2) Mobo : ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND WIFI (21k)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPU :
Everyone is saying GTX 1660 is the best value for money under 17K. I was thinking of GTX 1060 3GB or RX 570 to save some money, but GTX 1660 I think would be better buy for long term point of view and I won't need to upgrade GPU soon.
But I am not sure which model to get there are so many brands in the market and every brand has so many models like OC, AMP, Gaming, Extreme etc etc Editions. Please let me know which one to get :

1) Inno3d GeForce GTX 1660 Twin X2 (1785mhz) - Rs.17,200 (Vedant)
2) Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 (1785mhz) - Rs.17,200 (PCshop)
3) Galax GeForce GTX 1660 (1 Click OC) (1815mhz) - Rs.16,800 (primeABGB)
4) MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XS OC 6GB (1830mhz) - Rs.17,900 (Techmart, MDcomputers, Vedant)
5) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6GB (1830mhz) - Rs.18,200 (Starcomp)
6) Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 AMP (1845mhz) - Rs.19,400 (MDcomputers, Vedant, PCshop, StarComp)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSD :
I need SSD NVME 1TB around 12K. I did some research and mostly all performance SSD are around 20K or more. I don't want to compromise on read/write speed so I don't want any budget SSD. Please suggest if there are any models that would fit the budget.
If there are no ultra-fast 1TB SSD under 12K then I will drop down to 500GB SSD for now.

RAM :
I need 8 X 2 = 16GB. Whatever fastest I can get under 10K.
In the research I did they all said that getting better/faster/shiny RAM only has like very tiny bit advantage so it's not worth paying premium for those exclusive ultra expensive RAMs and better use that money for some other components.

Last edited:
w.r.t. GPU, yeah, all the different model names are confusing so ignore them - the underlying gpu is the same.

The difference b/w the models is 15-60 mhz which will be hard to notice and the 1660 will OC itself based on temperature and load anyway, so you'll only notice the difference under ideal conditions.
I would choose one based on price (and maybe after-sales-service).

Just make sure the card is a dual fan design. (if possible, see if the number of heat-pipes is 4 or more)

Back