CPU/Mobo Phenom II X2 550 BE or 555 BE unlockable ??

A stable unlocking is never guaranteed . There may be a fault which will come - up later . When you unlocking its possible the system may be stable for all test running for 48Hrs but can give error after few months on account of aging. If you need a Quad, get a quad and be happy with it. If you have budget constraint then be happy with either 550/ 555 or Athlon X4. Normally you may want to add a decent cooler to an unlocked CPu so u can easily get a decent quad for same.

Has anyone bought a recent version of AMD Phenom II 550 and unlocked it ? I intend to try my luck, considering buying it from PrimeABGB for 4.5k.

vinayaga said:
Has anyone bought a recent version of AMD Phenom II 550 and unlocked it ? I intend to try my luck, considering buying it from PrimeABGB for 4.5k.

Which motherboard you'll use? For unlocking u need at least AMD SB710 south bridge.

There is no 'sure success' unlock chance. Sometimes motherboard maybe a factor, but ultimately it depends on your luck. Its about 50-70% chance.

Some of the 555BE's have two defective core, which is why they ended up getting binned as an X2 instead of being sold as a full quad core.

So sometimes, the X2 you buy is really an X2 (has two defective cores), which won't unlock, but sometimes the X2 you buy is really an X4 binned down to an X2 to satisfy market demands, and that's the one you can unlock.

But again, there is no way to know beforehand which one is which. You'll only know, when you'll attempt to unlock it. It is a risk you will have to live with.

Mine unlocked, but my friend purchased one recently and his didn't.

But, even if we consider unlock chances which are gamble of the cores being unstable/not existing then you are stuck with a X2 processor. In addition to this, unlocking voids your warranty too.

So, I would recommend the AMD Athlon II X4 635/640.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE vs AMD Athlon II X4 635 | Andandtech

Even lacking a L3 cache doesn't stop the Athlon II from easily catching up with the Phenom II in single thread apps as well the Multi-threaded apps.

Not available easily. And if available, is very expensive. The 555 BE is just 4.5k !

suryansh.gupta said:
go for phenom II x2 550BE

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I will be using the Gigabyte 785 motherboard which is supposed to be good for unlocking. Thanks for the advice, this is exactly my concern, go for the Athlon II X4 or the Phenom II X2 !!!

As far as I understand, unlocking DOES NOT void the warranty as the chip is unlocked only when sitting on the motherboard where we configured it. The moment we take out the CPU from the motherboard, it goes back to a X2.

XTechManiac said:
Which motherboard you'll use? For unlocking u need at least AMD SB710 south bridge.

There is no 'sure success' unlock chance. Sometimes motherboard maybe a factor, but ultimately it depends on your luck. Its about 50-70% chance.

Some of the 555BE's have two defective core, which is why they ended up getting binned as an X2 instead of being sold as a full quad core.

So sometimes, the X2 you buy is really an X2 (has two defective cores), which won't unlock, but sometimes the X2 you buy is really an X4 binned down to an X2 to satisfy market demands, and that's the one you can unlock.

But again, there is no way to know beforehand which one is which. You'll only know, when you'll attempt to unlock it. It is a risk you will have to live with.

Mine unlocked, but my friend purchased one recently and his didn't.

But, even if we consider unlock chances which are gamble of the cores being unstable/not existing then you are stuck with a X2 processor. In addition to this, unlocking voids your warranty too.

So, I would recommend the AMD Athlon II X4 635/640.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE vs AMD Athlon II X4 635 | Andandtech

Even lacking a L3 cache doesn't stop the Athlon II from easily catching up with the Phenom II in single thread apps as well the Multi-threaded apps.

vinayaga said:
I will be using the Gigabyte 785 motherboard which is supposed to be good for unlocking. Thanks for the advice, this is exactly my concern, go for the Athlon II X4 or the Phenom II X2 !!!

I'll recommend you to go for Athlon II X4. As I said, my friend purchased a x2 555BE in mid-january and his proccy didn't get unlocked. It is a risk you will have to live with. I don't think you are much into gaming, so L3 cache is useless for you to some extent. Even lacking a L3 cache doesn't stop the Athlon II from easily catching up with the Phenom II in single thread apps as well the Multi-threaded apps. AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 4.6k is the most appropriate choice according to me.

vinayaga said:
As far as I understand, unlocking DOES NOT void the warranty as the chip is unlocked only when sitting on the motherboard where we configured it. The moment we take out the CPU from the motherboard, it goes back to a X2.

Well, true. Some say unlocking voids warranty and some say it doesn't. Well, I think it doesn't.

Unlocking is by software and no hardware changes is made. So, if I remove the CPU from the motherboard, then its same as it was when I bought it..they way AMD configured it.

Back