CPU/Mobo Phenom II X2 550 BE or 555 BE unlockable ??

Amal

Cyanide
Disciple
i want to know that phenom X2 550 Black edition or 555 black edition is very simply to unlock???

considering ASUS M4A78LT-M LE mobo
there is no change with mobo

pls say which is better:huh::huh:
550 BE or 555 BE

Don't unlock, to put it simply unlocking takes the TDP of your processor to 125W and the motherboard has a limit of 95W TDP so essentially you are waiting for your system to fry. Will recommend you go for a AMD Athlon IIx4 processor if you have not bought your system yet, better performance, lesser TDP and everything is smooth. Hope this helps.

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- the quad-core literally chew up the Phenom IIx2 because of the two extra cores and real-time benches validate it.

^

Check the link I gave you and yes apart from the L3 Cache that is missing in the Athlon II series, the Phenom II is desicively beaten in all the real time benches bruv (lacks the two cores, unlocking is not safe due to TDP factor in your case).

better at multi tasking if you compare it to a 550/555 which cannot be unlocked(ive seen two processors in a "good" batch which failed to unlock.).essentially a phenom without the L3.ive had a 955BE(stock) and use a X4 630(oced to 3.2Ghz)and didnt notice any difference.of course,benchmarks show there is a difference(5-10 fps in games).

also,i dont get how the tdp is lowered to 95W by removing the L3

~~~edit~~~

oops,late to post.

Ok before buying you need to know what your needs are? If you do require a Quad Core then don't buy a 550/555BE & go for Phenom II X4 965BE.

I has previously bought AMD Phenom II X2 555BE Didn't unlock with a Biotech Motherboard, so i purchased another motherboard from Gigabyte but still didn't unlock... so was stuck with X2 when i really wanted and X4.

then i had to sell it for really cheap price & get an X4... a lesson learned.... Don't waste your time buddy.

Don't unlock, to put it simply unlocking takes the TDP of your processor to 125W and the motherboard has a limit of 95W TDP so essentially you are waiting for your system to fry. Will recommend you go for a AMD Athlon IIx4 processor if you have not bought your system yet, better performance, lesser TDP and everything is smooth. Hope this helps.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Mephistopheles said:
Can anybody else confirm this?

If you are asking about the increase in TDP after unlocking, then yes its true. The ASUS Mobo which the OP has mentioned does have its CPU TDP limited to 95W (Check out specs). So unlocking on that one isnt a good idea.

But if you are talking about yours, then the TA790GXBE supports max 125W TDP as per the info on Biostar site. So you shouldnt be worried.

I aasminator is right buddy because your just losing 1.5k budget difference between quad core so i suggest if you really want X4 so then go for 955 / 965......!!

eternoMind said:
If you are asking about the increase in TDP after unlocking, then yes its true. The ASUS Mobo which the OP has mentioned does have its CPU TDP limited to 95W (Check out specs). So unlocking on that one isnt a good idea.

But if you are talking about yours, then the TA790GXBE supports max 125W TDP as per the info on Biostar site. So you shouldnt be worried.
Ok, I got it now :ashamed:

That is why he underlined that part, but one should be clear - rather then writing "the" motherboard it should have been "his" or "your". One can mispercieve the "the" as a grammer mistake. :ashamed:

Phenom II X2 550 BE is the best option becoz it unlock into X4 if ur motherboard which support ACC(advanced clock calibiration) and 125 watt cpu and above
i had Phenom II X2 550 BE 2weeks ago and it did unlocked into X4

Back