Phobia discussion: I bet you got one :-0

I 'had' this phobia of traffic police guys.
During 2010/11 period in Baaglore, I used to give more money to those robbers than spending on petrol per month for my motorcycle. :D
I used to be scared of them even when I am not riding - like if I see a cop while I am walking or on an auto, the thought always came to my mind is "bhaaaaaaaaggoo !!!"

But later I moved to Kolkata for 2 years and cops there were cool. Had spent just 100 there, thats too via proper challan. :D And after moving back to bangalore, things have improved. Now they do not stop unless some rule is being broken. Had paid just twice till now, for some invisible(!) "No U-turn"/"No Free Left" signs.

ps: I ain't no rash driver. My mistake is I just don't carry the document along.

Spiders.

And I am afraid of free fall effect. Hence my aversion to Roller coaster rides, Turbulence in planes and reason why haven't done sky diving till now. Did bungee jumping though.

Long Fingernails-

When I was in school I got poked by a girl in the eye with long fingernails.From then on I am awlasy wary of people with long fingernails

Fear of losing Data...Missing out on messages..BIG..came true a couple of times now :(
But i'm glad i had some sort of backup even though a little outdated.
Made me more grateful,patient and positive towards life.

And here's smotigng for our sipedr lovers....freshly discovered ..it was hanging out behind me checking out TE Forums.

9B3NI6J.jpg

<offtopic> Yep, in one of those posts/forwards you find on your facebook stream I read about a topic on happiness where it recommended if you have money to spend on something, then spend it on an experience and not a possession, like go on a vacation instead of buying a new smartphone, whatever... that's supposed to make you happier </offtopic>

Yes Man!
I'm working on reducing and gradually eliminating this need.
I was depressed for about a day and then suddenly there was so much gratitude for the things that I do have going for me :)
Any tips to be a more open,independent person would really appreciated.
One such tip was to Accept the things I can't control or change.

the things you own, end up owning you!

Oh yes!Very much on topic!
Since we're talking about phobias,i think it's important to even talk about ways to leave them behind.
Personally,i've been focussing on spending energy towards getting new life experiences.
Spending time,putting that effort it in activities that gives us a variety of experiences and memories are priceless!!!

<offtopic> Yep, in one of those posts/forwards you find on your facebook stream I read about a topic on happiness where it recommended if you have money to spend on something, then spend it on an experience and not a possession, like go on a vacation instead of buying a new smartphone, whatever... that's supposed to make you happier </offtopic>

Also,to the folks reading this - how would you feel if you mention :
a) the stuff you've done to get over your phobias &
b) how it has helped you change as a person?
I think it'll really help you,other people who have the same phobias and the readers as well.

I have this another phobia. I fear traveling alone in intercity buses no matter what make and model though i always travel in Volvos. I always think I'll puke for no reason. I don't have motion sickness nor anything. Its just that the feeling kicks in automatically with lot of anxiety. I dont feel like eating and hell cant watch other passengers munching on food inside moving bus esp. the smell. It makes feel more sick.

And when i regularly see passengers vomiting it adds tons to my fear.

But the moment i get down at destination i feel relaxed and then hungry as well. Weird!

It's just something psychological going inside my mind while traveling.

But same phobia doesn't kicks if i travel in a car or city bus. Or even if you let me drive the bus.
And when I travel with group of friends. So its totally some psychological effect.

How shall I overcome this?

Last edited:
I don't have motion sickness nor anything.
if it's not motion sickness then what is it? claustrophobia?

I 'had' this phobia of traffic police guys.
that's quite interesting. sorry to make fun of you, but i had to ask: "doodh pe lo beta, nahin to police aa jayegi!" did your parents use to threaten you like this? :p or maybe you watched too much hindi movies during your childhood: "inspector sa'ab, ise giraftaar kar lo!" :D

but seriously, do you remember when did you start fearing police?

that's quite interesting. sorry to make fun of you, but i had to ask: "doodh pe lo beta, nahin to police aa jayegi!" did your parents use to threaten you like this? :p or maybe you watched too much hindi movies during your childhood: "inspector sa'ab, ise giraftaar kar lo!" :D

but seriously, do you remember when did you start fearing police?

LOL.
dude I was talking about traffic cops and my 'phobia" (!) of 'having to pay them bribe' every other day. :)

Rollercoasters.....absolutely banned for me. Even the kiddie roller coasters. My wife would sit in all of them (even the ones which go upside down). I keep her purse along and she goes for those rides while I roam in souvenir shops.

Yup me too. In fact I'm a total waste visiting esselworld or similar theme parks etc. coz I wont be sitting on any of the rides.

Bumping years old thread to hear some funny, weird, terrific, omg, never heard etc. type responses!!!

Last edited:
^ sorry to disapoint you but I have no funny response.

I probably have mild trypophobia. I used to vomit when ever I saw those patterns but I never knww what it was until a youtuber I follow mentioned it.

Photophobia and Heliphobia. I can go out in the sun but can't face/see the sun or a camera for more than 5 seconds after that I get headache and I start crying. Also most of my face muscles feel like it tightens up and twitches whenever I take a photo :(

Back