Budget 10-15K Phone for the parents. Durable + Close to stock or easily rootable

mk76

Adept
Need a phone for parents.
- Decent battery life (Would prefer type C charger )
- Close to Stock or should be easily rootable .
- Decent front camera
- Durable
- FP sensor to be at back or front ( not on side body )

Their use
- Regular Calls
- Whatsapp video calls
- Will install Big launcher .. plus may set up few quick actions with tasker

Any particular model you would like to suggest
The latest one is 7.2. But it seems a bit costly~18000. It's out of stock on Nokia site but available on Flipkart with 6 gigs ram(hence the high cost). It's been a while since Nokia released new phones. 5.2 is around the corner as per rumours and it's listed on site. It's HD+ screen.

I am assuming you are not going behind specs. Else give it a miss.
If you can have a first hand experience that would be better for you.

Another one is MotoG one plus fusion which is also stock Android. But cannot comment on the loudness of the speaker or its haptic feedback.

.. but I read/heard VERY VERY good words for Samsung UI/Software...

I personally used 3-4 Samsung handset earlier and now using Samsung On5 and found easy to handle & camera is also good.

Have Smartron Srt.Phone (good hardware) bought in 2017 Diwali, still going strong, but some how not easy with and gave to brother and took his Samsung On5 and happy with.

My Cousin using Redmi Note 5 Pro, since last one year but still missing his earlier Samsung On 5 Pro

HTH

Just curious, why would you want a rootable phone for your parents.

Samsung M21, M31 etc would be a good choice for parents. Nokia phones are pretty decent for those who care about the UI. The problem is their lack of quality control. Two out of two friends had a messed up charging port within 6 months of buying the 6.1 plus. They changed it under warranty but who wants to go through all that.

For parents, any UI is fine as long as it doesn't send vulgar notifications and ads which Xiaomi loves to do.

I would recommend Samsung. Slightly overpriced as compared to Xiaomi and Realme but that's the price you pay for no vulgar ads on lock screen.

Just curious, why would you want a rootable phone for your parents.
For parents, any UI is fine as long as it doesn't send vulgar notifications and ads which Xiaomi loves to do.

Root will give me option to move to remove bloatware and/or install lineage OS. Plus install system ad blocker

The last Xiaomi phone I had was Redmi note 3. Overall ok ... but it was a mess to root. It needed to register with Xiaomi . I checked XDA for note 8 / 9 and things looks same

Root will give me option to move to remove bloatware and/or install lineage OS. Plus install system ad blocker

The last Xiaomi phone I had was Redmi note 3. Overall ok ... but it was a mess to root. It needed to register with Xiaomi . I checked XDA for note 8 / 9 and things looks same
Unfortunately in the budget segment xiaomi redmi phones are the only ones with decent dev support. Now a days you need to wait for 7 days to get the bootloader unlock permission from the company.

Like puns said above, Samsung phones have very limited and non intrusive bloat. That would be my recommendation for anyone not looking to play heavy games on the phone

Samsung m21 apparently has some network issues. I don't know. Also can anyone tell whether this Samsung phones come with a pre built-in call recording option?

I'm in same situation. Want to buy a decently performing stock Android based phone for mum. Bought her to asus zenfone m1 last year, which is the worst phone i could have purchased amongst all. Literally every time i pick up the phone i wanna break it. How can a phone be this slow! Oh wait, zenui.

Samsung m21 apparently has some network issues. I don't know. Also can anyone tell whether this Samsung phones come with a pre built-in call recording option?

I'm in same situation. Want to buy a decently performing stock Android based phone for mum. Bought her to asus zenfone m1 last year, which is the worst phone i could have purchased amongst all. Literally every time i pick up the phone i wanna break it. How can a phone be this slow! Oh wait, zenui.
If your mom is comfortable with a big screen phone, may be you can look into Moto one plus fusion. It's stock Android. Only downside I felt was the popup camera.
I had got Infinix Note 5 for my father as it was pure stock. Sadly, it's no more in stock.

If your mom is comfortable with a big screen phone, may be you can look into Moto one plus fusion. It's stock Android. Only downside I felt was the popup camera.
I had got Infinix Note 5 for my father as it was pure stock. Sadly, it's no more in stock.
No problem with big screen but the weight of that phone is insane. I personally held the iPhone 11 and that was the most heavy phone i handled, can't shudder to think how to handle a phone of 207 grams.

Back