Photography school

An infrared shot with my canon s3,personally not happy with the edges as they appear soft ,is it because I used manual focus!!More info here
3847016137_dba81506fa_b.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 6 mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
File Size: 284 kB
File Type: JPEG
MIME Type: image/jpeg
Image Width: 1690
Image Height: 951
Encoding Process: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample: 8
Color Components: 3
X-Resolution: 96 dpi
Y-Resolution: 96 dpi
Orientation: Unknown (0)
Software: Picasa 3.0
Date and Time (Modified): 2009:08:18 19:49:17
YCbCr Positioning: Centered
Related Image Width: 2816
Related Image Height: 1584
Custom Rendered: Normal
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
camera: Panasonic FZ 35
f stop: f/3.6
exposure time: 1/30 sec
iso: 100
focal length: 5mm
WB: Auto
exposure bias: 0
Focus: manual

touched it slightly using irfanview and cropped for 16:9

deathvirus_me said:
from a recent visit to Konark temple (~ 2 PM, bright sunny day) .. also my first day out with the 550D ... downsized using Photoshop CS4 ..

Am testing some low light shots now so any input wud be awesome ..1

2 cents from my side...

As already said, image is overexposed....
U should have used ISO 100.. 550D has ISO button just next to shutter button, so dont hesitate for quick change..

U could have also tried some other perspective to avoid washed out ground...
if not, if U had shot RAW, you can grab much details from washed out ground...

Attaching a PP-ed version of mine, which included, grabbing details a bit from ground[which isnt much possible in JPG] level, curve, color balance, hue-saturation, bit crop....

Just bought the LZ8 a few days back [my very 1st digicam] & fell in love with the macro mode. Haven't really taken an interest in photography until now & am eager to learn [since the digital medium allows experiments without burning a hole in one's pocket, lol]. Hoping to get constructive feedback. Thanks.

FileName : Grungy Tap.jpg

Make : Panasonic

Model : DMC-LZ8

YCbCrPositioning : Co-sited

CustomRendered : Normal

ExposureMode : Auto

WhiteBalance : Auto

DigitalZoomRatio : 0

FocalLengthIn35mmFormat : 32 mm

SceneCaptureType : Standard

GainControl : High gain up

Contrast : Normal

Saturation : Normal

Sharpness : Normal

ExposureTime : 1/20

FNumber : 3.3

ExposureProgram : Program AE

ISO : 400

ComponentsConfiguration : Y, Cb, Cr, -

CompressedBitsPerPixel : 4

ExposureCompensation : 0

MaxApertureValue : 3.3

MeteringMode : Multi-segment

LightSource : Unknown

Flash : Off, Did not fire

FocalLength : 5.2 mm

FlashpixVersion : 0100

ColorSpace : sRGB

ExifImageWidth : 1440

ExifImageHeight : 1920

SensingMethod : One-chip color area

before looking out for some 'constructive' criticism here, make sure you understand most of the thing present in your camera and those abnormal words written on your exif data...

I might sound harsh right now.. but some day when you would take a 'good' photo, you will realize that I was right...

(also depends what good means to you.)

Um ... er .... Thanks?

I was hoping for a response such as, maybe it would have been better had the tap not filled out the frame, or have it shot from further down, or whether landscape orientation would have been better, or taking the shot against the other wall to give it some depth, or having some object in the foreground/background as well or ......

Though I'm reading up bit by bit about the technical aspects of photgraphy - aperture, shutter speed, iso, exposure etc., it'll take a while to grasp them completely. However, thinking about the aesthetics of the same can begin right at the outset - composition, lighting, depth etc. & one can learn about those aspects at least, whether it's a phone camera or a DSLR.

In photography, both the aesthetic side & the technical side need to come together to make a good photo. But my feeling is that the compositional side of things can be learnt much faster.

My expectation was that I'd get some 'constructive' feedback about at least the composition. Oh well, I'll just read up on a few of Bryan Peterson's books, take some 'good' photos & post them directly in the photography thread than in the 'school'.

Peace.

^^ Umm seems like my words had disappointed you...

really sorry for that...Well dont get disappointed.. disappointment is worst thing for the photographer...

I find the B/W version better than color..

Composition wise, I feel your photo good... strong enough... perspective is also good...

however, only tap as a subject lacks the interest, story....

when you take a tight shot, you need to be sure that your subject strong enough so that eyes of a viewer do not roam around the photo for additional things..

may be a drop which just fell off the tap hanging in the air would had added more beauty and story to the shot...

BTW, where the hell Payne is.....

disappeared from long time...

Was just seeing BP Wedding Photographer of the year video CD which BP couriered....

Could see Joseph Radhik R for photo series nomination...

I am RIGHT here! :D

Let's just say life has kept me ridiculously busy for the past 2 months, it is only gonna get worse in the near future but I am really thankful for the guys who've kept this thread half alive.

Now that a LOT of my work is streamlined, I can mostly critique at least one photo properly per day. Each critique takes a bit of time, so I hope that is kept in mind. :)

Again, sorry for the ridiculously long absence!

Cheers!

Joseph

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kidrow said:
Just bought the LZ8 a few days back [my very 1st digicam] & fell in love with the macro mode. Haven't really taken an interest in photography until now & am eager to learn [since the digital medium allows experiments without burning a hole in one's pocket, lol]. Hoping to get constructive feedback. Thanks.

Grungy Tap huh? :)

Since you've JUST begin with this craft, science and art, I'll start with faar more basic questions than the rest.

1. What were you hoping to convey/portray through this photo?
Did you just want to try out the "macro" mode on your camera and get some cool background blur? Did you want to show the water scarcity that abounds around us in general? Or was it to put this photo here and hope that I'll process it and show you something cool? :D
- Always answer this question first. Take the shot later. Add some meaning.
- What would I have done? Prolly add some dynamism to this shot with a droplet or something coming out of the tap. :)

2. Why the name "Grungy Tap"?
If am to understand it right, you want to show off the texture in the front of the tap, the rugged look. Great idea, just bring it out more in PP later!

I've attached what am thinking of when you "Grungy Tap". It is more edgy and darker in processing.

4681626481_14d5aa3af3.jpg

What I've done: Added a vignette, then sharpened it, and finally passed a high-contrast Unsharp Mask. The last step is critical, so I'll talk about in detail.

In Photoshop:
Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask
Put in a high value for Radius and slightly low value for Intensity.
I put Radius 80 and Intensity/Strength of 20 only. This gives a very contrasty image like this.

Hope this helps. :)
Cheers!
Payne

Thank you Payne.

While I didn't really think about what I wanted to convey before taking the 'tap' shot, once I saw it on the PC, I realised how much grit, rust etc. was on it. So I immediately felt the need to give it a grungy feel during PP. I didn't want a water drop because the grit, dirt suggests that the tap's run dry. That's the reason I chose to render it B&W, & add some noise.

So yes, here's what I want to say. I completely love your version! & it is what I had in mind. :D

Here's my next submission. Hoping it's more interesting & an improvement over the earlier one.

Buds on Balcony - Original & PP

Thanks yet again. Much appreciated.

Even though i dont really know the depth of professional photography .I must say u r doing a great work.
I dont have a slr to post the pic here but i will soon buy one basic camera.
Can u please suggest me something in range 10-15 INR.

srsriharsha said:
mg296111.jpg

Canon 450D 18-55 IS
F-Stop f/11
Exposure time 1/320 sec
ISO Speed ISO-200
Max aperture 3.625

Thats a good shoot buddy.. looks nice...

additionally, in PPing U can darker the skies (levels and then mask the trees)
also due to sunlight there is generally a yellow tint on green...
If its with your taste its ok, but if not, can remove the yellow tint and make it greener with selective color..

Just 2 cents..

^^ Sheru, a nice shot. However a lot of the flower part is out of focus, hence making the image a little distracting. I would focus on the yellow part of the flower. Additionally you can increase the sharpness a bit in PP.

color guard

162817_175667659129256_100000580699142_503892_6384144_n.jpg

nikon d3100 18-55 vr kit lens

F-Stop f/5.6

Exposure time 1/30 sec

ISO Speed ISO-100

cropped and pp'd but very new to this

Back