Pl. Help - modem+router - urgent buy!

singenaadam

Skilled
My BSNL modem had become unreliable. Tried with other BSNL modem that was perfect, so there seems to be no alternative but to change. Need to order today a modem+router.
I do have a Netgear 614 router but, thinking of going for a new combo. The Netgear would be as emergency standby for router.

Budget: below Rs. 2500

Brands: Open. Use on ADSL - BSNL connection.

Preferences: Don't know, but maybe dd-wrt, open wrt, tomato compatible?! Never fiddled with routers yet, but open to that, after sometime:D

Last time I had asked, the suggested models were DLink 2750 & TP-Link 8968.

Would order by today evening. Pl. help!

While it is true that TP Link has more features (better interface + compatibility with diff types of internet), + TP Link used to provide fresh router if RMA was invoked, the company blatantly mentioning incorrect specs on the dabba is not not lost.

Buyers get the 1 x 5 dBi antenna instead of two is not really going to give the coverage as the user would imagine.

On the flip side, DLink's h/w was causing issues about an yr back. (I am sure they would have sorted it out by now)
The router would not establish a conn

Looking at all the pros and cons, i personally would go with D Link between the two.

@Sobirvs
Need some suggestions mate. Model nos? :)

@vivek.krishnan :
[1] can you pl mention a bit more on the extra features of TP-LINK.
[2] DLink experience was with the product or, service center??

WebUI is way better. Ability to use dongle, ADSL and Ethernet. D'Link allows only its own dongles and has limited other dongles vs tplink.

Coming to hardware - I dont understand why D'link has to give crappy products. I said this flatout to the Dlink rep who came to our office - Gajshield firewall demo. I would say that maybe Dlink tests the first gen crap on customers, refines the bugs in second gen and makes a great product in the third gen.

Coming to the 2x 5 dBi antenna's - how on earth would have 2x antennas give better coverage? Better speeds, yes - maybe. Better coverage? I don't think so, at least not the cheaper routers. Very few of the routers support beamforming, and surely the cheaper ones would skip on this to give you better coverage.

Ordered the DLink 2750U.

Looking at +/- of both and your suggestions - the physical aspects kicked-in during final stretch - the TP-Link has vent holes at the top, which I felt not OK, for a dusty place like mine.

This is the shortest time I spent so far on buying electronics:)

Thanks all - for reading and sparing some of your time! Appreciate it!!

the physical aspects kicked-in during final stretch - the TP-Link has vent holes at the top, which I felt not OK, for a dusty place like mine.

I have used a Huewei modem for 9+ yrs which had a perforated top shell.
The thing was working fine when i replaced it for a better model.

Thanks for that feedback!
Also, I tend to stack things. The curve of the top cover does not allow placing something small like a pen stand on it.

-1 for Dlink 2750. Got a new one a few months ago. WiFi stability was bad. Disconnected at least once a day (I am always on VPN, so even a quick drop and reconnect is noticeable) . I have now connected another AP.

The modem has been stable.

Back