Budget 41-50k Planned upgrade for gaming PC - feedback required

Lo Hatt

Recruit
Hi all,
I'm planning to setup a gaming PC with the following specs, please suggest a suitable mother board and let me know if the rig would be good enough for the next 5 years at least (not focusing on high-end 1080p-1440p gaming, but decent enough to enjoys the visuals and get maximum performance)
Specs as follows:
CPU - i5 6600/i5 6500
GPU - GTX 1060 -6gb
Ram 16gb (8gb x 2)
PSU: Corsair 450W
HDD Seagare 500GB, SSD Kingston 128GB

Let me know if you need any further info.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Asus Z170-P
You can overclock i5 on this (Z170) board!
But I think the machine will be over budget by 5-8k that too with no GPU!

Last edited:
Which ?

Reconsider this please. 240GB SSD and 1TB storage.

Thanks @vyral_143 for your prompt response

1) PSU: Havent decided on the model number - spoke with the dealer and he just provided the specifications, not the product info. Any one in particular i should look out for?

2) SSD: I thought SSD was useful only for loading the OS, any particular reason for going for higher memory capacity

Thanks again[DOUBLEPOST=1472480698][/DOUBLEPOST]
Asus Z170-P
You can overclock i5 on this (Z170) board!
But I think the machine will be over budget by 5-8k that too with no GPU!
A friend of mine suggested Gigabyte GA H110M - What do you think of that?

Last edited:
PSU - Seasonic S12 II 520W
H110M is basic mobo with minimal features ! You won't be able to OC the i5!
Though if you are not OCing then it's fine!

PSU - Seasonic S12 II 520W
H110M is basic mobo with minimal features ! You won't be able to OC the i5!
Though if you are not OCing then it's fine!
The processors 6500/6600 are locked processors and the amount of clocking if any that you get is minimal and I believe requires some mobo bios updates. So I am not sure why are you even suggesting or base-lining OCing into the picture.

1) PSU: Havent decided on the model number - spoke with the dealer and he just provided the specifications, not the product info. Any one in particular i should look out for?

2) SSD: I thought SSD was useful only for loading the OS, any particular reason for going for higher memory capacity

1) Most probably it's Corsair VS series, do not take it. As suggested above look for Seasonic S12 II.
2) SSD is definitely useful for loading OS faster. Applications will load faster too. You can feel snappiness once you use it. As it is said; once on SSD, tough to go back to HDD. Larger storage as 120GB will be filled up quickly. For HDD, game install size these days, for AAA games, is huge. Like last CoD required 55-60GB IIRC. 500GB HDD mean 465GB of actual space.

go for seasonic. they don't compromise on quality.
ssd's work best when they have at least ~15% free space. (for trim ops i believe)
if budget is tight then you can consider the laptop pulled ssds from ebay (what i'm using) or get a smaller one now and add a bigger one later. and i can vouch for "once you go ssd you'll never go back"
if you don't plan on changing your gpu for the next 3-5 years then i'd go for the rx 480 (i'm eyeing the rx 470 myself). they do really well in dx12 and vulkan games.
i recommend the sapphire nitro.
i'd also suggest a 1tb drive as it represents a huge increase in vfm (basically 100% more capacity for ~20-25% more cost)

Back