Storage Solutions Planning to buy NAS : Synology DS918+

Case is not a problem for me. I have a CM Stacker 830 lying idle which I can re-purpose. Even with hot swap bays (I have two already), it will support 9 HDD, I need a CPU/Motherboard combo that is low on power consumption.

DS918+ power consumption is rated @ 28.8W with 4 x 1 TB drives installed.
Most intel CPUs have great power management when not being used. Why limit what it can do for just a little saving. Maybe you can budget out the savings in terms of cost. Most desktop CPUs will have same amount of lower end power consumption.

Incidentally, i'm looking for a case which can do around 8x3.5" drives, and 1x5.25" external bay for an ODD. This is for my PC, not NAS or a storage box. So i need something a little better than the CM Force 500, with a side window. Budget between 5-10k.

Btw, prime has the above case on sale: https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ler-master-force-500-mid-tower-computer-case/

Incidentally, i'm looking for a case which can do around 8x3.5" drives, and 1x5.25" external bay for an ODD. This is for my PC, not NAS or a storage box. So i need something a little better than the CM Force 500, with a side window. Budget between 5-10k.

Btw, prime has the above case on sale: https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ler-master-force-500-mid-tower-computer-case/
They will add shipping if im not wrong.

Amazon has all the corsair & CM options listed, you can get reviews and if not indian reviews then they link to American site reviews, try those? Speeds up the decision process,

Hahaha that's some insane cost for a cabinet. That CM one doesnt look so bad now :D

Typical retarded desi pricing. I currently use a cm elite 430 and the force 500 seems even worse than that one. Need an upgrade...[DOUBLEPOST=1524246673][/DOUBLEPOST]
They will add shipping if im not wrong.

Yes, they added 535 bucks, for mah.[DOUBLEPOST=1524246773][/DOUBLEPOST]How does the antec p9 sound? https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...-black-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower-computer-case/

~7k

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to barge in on this, but which is a good place to pick up a suitable motherboard. I am looking for a NAS for home use as well (for storage).

There is no suitable place in India to pickup a mobo as is, you need to do your research beforehand. Most enterprise chaps will try to sell you a Synology or QNAP unit.

I would say - First, decide on the platform you want - AMD/Intel, then opt for the form factor, and finally, one with max number of SATA ports. If you cannot find the board with the SATA ports you want, ensure it has a x8/x16 slot, put a RAID controller card, the IBM/LSI cards are good, cross flash them to non RAID mode (called IT mode) if you dont want to go with hardware RAID/wish to use FreeNAS or the likes.[DOUBLEPOST=1524282556][/DOUBLEPOST]@Julian there is an Intel tower case for about 7K ish. That plus the 3x5/3x4 bays that are available on Aliexpress will allow you to build a storage server depending on the bays you buy - hotswap has 4 HDDs, while non hotswap is 5 HDDs in 3 slots of 5.25" bays.

I think it had 9 bays, so you can put upto 15 HDDs in that. Plus the PSU is a Delta or FSP 550W standard which can be swapped out later.

@Julian there is an Intel tower case for about 7K ish. That plus the 3x5/3x4 bays that are available on Aliexpress will allow you to build a storage server depending on the bays you buy - hotswap has 4 HDDs, while non hotswap is 5 HDDs in 3 slots of 5.25" bays.

I think it had 9 bays, so you can put upto 15 HDDs in that. Plus the PSU is a Delta or FSP 550W standard which can be swapped out later.

Thanks man, but i need this for my main desktop pc, not a storage server. So it should be aesthetically attractive, not just functional. I need just 8x3.5" bays and 1x5.25". Non-hotswap. Also will be using my old psu. Current case is a cm elite 430 which is absolutely perfect just needs a few more front fan cooled 3.5" bays else i would have use the 5.25 bays with a mounting kit.

Any link or other details of this intel case you mentioned?

Thanks man, but i need this for my main desktop pc, not a storage server. So it should be aesthetically attractive, not just functional. I need just 8x3.5" bays and 1x5.25". Non-hotswap. Also will be using my old psu. Current case is a cm elite 430 which is absolutely perfect just needs a few more front fan cooled 3.5" bays else i would have use the 5.25 bays with a mounting kit.

Any link or other details of this intel case you mentioned?

https://www.cnet.com/products/intel-server-chassis-p4304-tower-4u/specs/ - this is similar, you wont get the hotswap bays. Just blanks

Back