Planning to visit Manali in April. Need Suggestions

Hello All,

I am planning to visit Manali in the 3rd week of April 2019. I will be going to Manali from Delhi. I am thinking I will take a bus to Manali from Delhi. I am wondering about the following. I would like to spend around 4 to 5 days over there. We are a family of 4 adults.

1. What would be the ideal places to visit and duration?
  2. Where to stay? I was wondering if staying at a Airbnb would be good. Any suggestions?
  3. How do I manage local commute? Can I get a local cab on hire for the entire duration of the stay? If I have to stay at two different places (say Manali and Kullu) then I probably should hire two different local cabs so that I do not have to worry about a place for the driver to sleep and freshen up.
  4. Any other suggestions?

Dont stay in Manali. Overcrowded. Stay between Kullu & Manali in Naggar. Lot of good hotels and resorts there, since you are going with family, I wouldnt suggest airbnb unless you want to cook and save money ?
Its been ages since I was there so little memory of where I stayed.
You just need 1 cab. the distance is not too much.

Enjoy both the places. Go to Old Manali if you are young family
You can take volvo from Delhi. Its comfortable and good.

Dont stay in Manali. Overcrowded. Stay between Kullu & Manali in Naggar. Lot of good hotels and resorts there, since you are going with family, I wouldnt suggest airbnb unless you want to cook and save money ?
Its been ages since I was there so little memory of where I stayed.
You just need 1 cab. the distance is not too much.

Enjoy both the places. Go to Old Manali if you are young family
You can take volvo from Delhi. Its comfortable and good.

OK. Thanks for your advice.

What kind of holiday do you want to have?
Do you want a peaceful holiday and just relax and enjoy the scenery and good food. Or do you want it to be a hectic one with you visiting all touristy places along with hundreds of others tourists.

What kind of holiday do you want to have?
Do you want a peaceful holiday and just relax and enjoy the scenery and good food. Or do you want it to be a hectic one with you visiting all touristy places along with hundreds of others tourists.

A kind of holiday where I get to visit popular places not necessarily all. Something that stays with me for a long time to come. To give you an idea when my wife and I visited Grand Teton (part of yellow stone national park) the view took our breath away. So, I am looking for a relaxed holiday with good sightseeing. I do not mind skipping one or two sightseeing spots if time or weather is a constraint.

We would be keen to have local delicacies.

Last edited:
Then stay at a distance from the main town. You can try and search online for secluded guest houses and are still an hour or so away from the tourist attractions. Also, Manali and surrounding tourist locations have horrible traffic jams so plan all your travel in the wee hours of the morning. I am talking about 3-4 am starts. We started from Manali at 6 am for Rohtang and could only reach till Marhi becuase of the traffic.
I personally don't like or recommend any popular hill towns to any of my friends. Instead, it is better to unwind and relax at not so popular, quaint little villages/towns which offer breathtaking views and a snail like pace of living so that it feels like a complete change from your regular life.

Back