PC Peripherals Please be careful before using a Chieftec Cabby.

zhopudey

Skilled
The chieftec cabinets are highly recommended for being spacious, well built, and affordable. Only one thing should be kept in mind, these cabinets come with a backplate for installing Xeon motherboards. This plate should be removed before installing any atx or micro-atx motherboard, or it will cause a short circuit and the board will simply die.

I know of a number of members here on TE who have lost their boards due to this. I guess not many people are aware of this issue, hence I thought I should post here. Maybe someone with the cabinet can post a pic?

No other problems with the cabinets. Once this backplate is removed, you have an kickass cabby! :D

Mod Edit: Images added, thanks to penno

Yup.:(

Please take this as a caution- not as brand bashing.:cool2:

Latest case is where a brand new mobo melted in the pwm area.
Cause of short still to be ascertained but mostly due to the cabby- friend is not so sure and it will be investigated.

While others mobos had boot issues or died but were replaced as they had no physical damage.
This one was burnt- so that's one brand new mobo worth 10k, dead, w/o any possibility of RMA.

Be just a lil more careful people.:)

Else the Chieftec cabbies have very nice build quality and quite vfm for the stuff compared to the antecs/CMs selling in that price range.:thumb:

Mods- please edit the title and highlight it- 'careful' instead of 'carefully' and make this a sticky if you think it's ok.:)

zhopudey said:
Maybe someone with the cabinet can post a pic?

+1 to that ....can others who don't know abt it and don't know wat it is have a look at it...can someone post a pic abt it pls. in the cabby and outside it as well......

@zhopudey : thanks for the info.

Same thing happened to me with my MSI RS-482 939 socket mobo, after installing the mobo to the new cabinet there was no display. Once we put the mobo out of the cabinet it was giving proper display, after which we realised that the stupid backplate was shorting with the mobo :mad:

Back