Please help - laptop for novice

goni4u

Disciple
Hi All,

I have been using desktop for 10 years now but never have bought a laptop.
Now, I planned to have one as I have disposed off my P-IV CPU at home(10K),
Monitor not included :)

My requirements :

No. 1. Surfing Internet : I feel I am a net addict and I just can't stay offline.

No. 2. Watching Movies Online (Youtube) and Offline (DVD or Torrent Downloaded).
Need HDMI to connect it to my Sony LCD TV.

No. 3. Playing Games on weekends (I don't want the kid in me to die)

No. 4. MS Office and Accounting Softwares (I forgot that, I am a CA and
at the end of the day I need them too. :)

There are so many wonderful laptops available with so many confusing
combinations(configurations) that a common man like me can never
make a satisfactory purchase. (i feel so)

Some people ends up buying less powerfull machines as compared to their requirements and
some end up spending huge money on configurations they may never need.

Before, writing this post I have gone through a lot of forum posts, so have
my eyes on following :

1. SONY - VPCEB14EN (Local store is ready to give at 37500/- + bag)

2. Acer 5740G (Not enquired yet)

3. Dell Studio 15 (i3-350,3GB,320GB 7200RPM, 15.6'WLED, 1GB ATI HD 4570) 48500/- + Bag

4. I will also be happy with an HP. no model finalised yet.

# I really want a battery backup of atleat 3 hours, anything less than that sucks.
## Further i am too confused with this Graphic card Syndrom.
PLEASE HELP.

Try and deviate towards the Dell laptop.I have heard only good things about it like...

Better servicing.

Less crashes.

Less heating problems.

Faster.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone through the Sei's review.

It is awesome and it seems as if nothing could be better than this thing.

I am putting up in Jammu and I have the option to get it from Delhi through my Bro.

Should I get it from here (jammu) at 37500/- + bag or should I try to get it from Delhi where I expect to get it for lesser price and may also get some additional accessories.

Is it So ??????? and is it worth ????

I have read members mentioning that they have got 9-10 accessories. What kinda accessory is it ??

Further, Can I replace its battery with 9 cell battery and if so at what additional cost ??

Thanks

2 things you could tell us which would help people make better suggestions-
1. What gaming do you intend on doing to prevent the inner kid from dying.
2. Approx budget. [I assume you don't mind spending ~50k since you've mentioned the studio]

Just bear in mind that gaming on the laptop isn't the same as on a desktop, cos the GPUs are relatively weak [or they cost a bomb], + the fact that you can't upgrade later. So only consider if you're gonna play older games &/or are prepared for low quality in-game settings.

Besides, your other requirement of having good battery life is going to be seriously challenged if you're gonna game on the machine. You could swap the battery for a 9 cell one, but how much difference it would make is something I'm not competent to answer.

Just a heads up! Sorry if this post hasn't been of any help & it's been an utter waste of time. My bad! :ashamed:

Thanks Kidrow,

"Just bear in mind that gaming on the laptop isn't the same as on a desktop, cos the GPUs are relatively weak [or they cost a bomb], + the fact that you can't upgrade later. So only consider if you're gonna play older games &/or are prepared for low quality in-game settings."

Thanks for the eyeopener. But, I will compromise on that for the comfort of taking my laptop around my home to any place and occassionally to office.

I have some psycological barrier beyond 40K. Though, I may extend it by 1-2 K. I feel the way technology is changing, even these specifications will look nowhere near what we are going to get in the next 2 years or may be earlier. So I want to limit myself to that 40K mark. Expensive laptops have comparatively less resale value and shifting to a new model becomes more painful process.
That's my theory, I may be wrong.

So, what do you say ????

Back