Please help me choose between sony and dell...

padma

Disciple
I have shortlisted two laptops, please help me choose between the two, as i am very confused...

the configs are as follows:

Sony VAIO - E-series – VPCEB16FG

Intel i3 – 330m

4GB RAM DDR3

500GB HDD, 5400rpm

ATI Mobilility Raedon 5650 HD – 1GB

15.5” – 1080p (Full HD)

Win 7 premium (64bit)

Price – Rs. 50,000 (with accessories)

Link - VPCEB16FG : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

DELL Inspiron 1564

Intel i5 – 430m

4GB RAM DDR3

320GB HDD, 7200rpm

ATI Mobilility Raedon 5450 HD – 1GB

15.5” – 720p

Win 7 premium (64bit)

Price – Rs. 45000 (no accessories)

Link - Inspiron 15 Laptop Details | Dell India

the dell laptop looks average, lacks an e-sata port, gigabit ethernet and doesn't have 802.11n capabilities.

otherwise, the specs are the same, the Sony i read has better speakers and a better display(full hd), and a bigger hdd. but the dell offers a much better processor at a lower price. so i need some advice as this would be my first laptop.

p.s - i am not interested in dell's studio line as the price comes in the range as the vaio.

my needs are for some heavy college programming, some graphics apps (corel draw and photoshop, movies, light gaming and browsing)

AFAIK the inspiron 15 doesnt come with a HD5470. It comes with a ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 5450 which is not too good for gaming. Chk in the link u have given.

my needs are for some heavy college programming, some graphics apps (corel draw and photoshop, movies, light gaming and browsing)

BTW what softwares you use for programming?

Other than the superior processor , I don't see anything better in the DELL. Having bought a VPCEB16FG few days back for my bro, I can tell you that the display is truely amazing.

Also the Sony has a better GPU and HDD as well. The build quality & finish is also lot better than that of the Inspiron series.Had it been the Studio 15, maybe the quality would have been on par with Sony.

Finally ,you need to decide if you need more processing power or a better GPU ? The core i3 is good enough , and should easily provide you the required power . I would say go with the Sony.

Also the 50k price tag is the MRP. You can get it for 47-48k after a bit of bargaining unless you are getting it from the official Sony World store :p.

If you are on a tight budget i would even suggest this,

VPCEB14EN

Core i-3 330M

3GB DDR3

320GB HDD

15.5" WXGA (1366*768)

512MB DDR3 HD5470

MRP: 39,000

Street Price: 37k INR~

This should be enough for your needs.

DarkAngel said:
AFAIK the inspiron 15 doesnt come with a HD5470. It comes with a ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 5450 which is not too good for gaming. Chk in the link u have given.

you are right, i typed in the graphics card details wrong.

BTW what softwares you use for programming?
i will need for advanced java, linux dual-boot and for some RIA programming, and many more, depending on what my final year project will be based on...

@OP you are wrong about "specs are the same"... what are your usage/requirements? since you say "heavy college programming" go for the Dell , because it has better CPU and faster HDD... and the display is not bad...

Sony has slower CPU/HDD but better display and GPU but since you only want to do "some" graphics, I would go for the Dell in your shortlist :D

Just my 2 cents...

I should clarify you can do your programming on the Sony too of course :) so if that graphics stuff is important to you (full HD display also for enjoying movies fully) then go ahead with the Sony except if you do "heavy programming/multitasking" then the slow HDD will be a little hassle but you can bear it.

(I love posting confusing advice!) :p

excellent choice dude.... now which E-series vaio is it? the B16 (with better ATI GPU) in your initial shortlist or the decent-spec B14 model suggested by DarkAngel?

the better one... (quoted at 50k)

i just heard that only dell gives you the OS and driver CD, not sony,

they offer the recovery module, that you can use to create a recovery disc from and load your OS after a format, is that true??? or are they bluffing..

padma said:
the better one... (quoted at 50k)
i just heard that only dell gives you the OS and driver CD, not sony,
they offer the recovery module, that you can use to create a recovery disc from and load your OS after a format, is that true??? or are they bluffing..

In my experience Dell is best for loading OS many times, without problems.......
But Note : Dell is shipping with 64bit OS, problems finding drivers for attachments like bsnl CDMA Modem, Printers, etc..

Dell, somehow I feel are not so robust (except Latitude Series). If you are going for Dell, go with 3yr Complete Cover Option. (3Yrs Hassle Free Operation).

Back