Please help me setup Roku ultra 2019

colors6

Disciple
Mar 8, 2010
Just bought a Roku ultra 2019 model.

Will be using it with my TCL 55” 4K tv. I bought a roku streaming box because my tv inbuilt android box is a little iffy when it comes to playing high bitrate 4K HDR files. So, I thought of getting Roku ultra to stream from my synology NAS.

i debated between this and Nvidia shield. I ultimately chose this because it was within my budget and I’m not a gamer so I don’t need the gaming features of nvidia shield.

i hope I didn’t make a wrong decision. Will receive the unit in 10 days.

Never used Roku before.

Can someone help me set it up? I also have Surfshark vpn if that helps/hurts. Will vpn slow speed make that option not practical anyway?

I am assuming I have to create a Roku account first? obviously it won’t take India region, so what should I choose?

any tips/suggestions are most welcome.

EDIT - The Apple TV 4K is just ₹2000 more expensive due to the weird duty structure. Should I just buy it if the difference is just ₹2000 or is the ultra a better device than apple tv?

Last edited:

Kirankj1724

Disciple
Jun 16, 2020
Hi,
I'm also in the same situation. I need a box for streaming kodi on my local network + to play local files.
I was considering some cheap options from Amazon but not sure if they can bitstream atmos and lossless audio formats.

Have you received your roku?

colors6

Disciple
Mar 8, 2010
Hi,
I'm also in the same situation. I need a box for streaming kodi on my local network + to play local files.
I was considering some cheap options from Amazon but not sure if they can bitstream atmos and lossless audio formats.

Have you received your roku?
i have delayed my purchase. Cancelled roku.

will wait till September and see what kind of new streaming hardware is released.

if it had not been for the excessive import duty, I would buy a nvidia shield Or roku ultra.

I will probably end up buying the next gen Apple TV.

chiro3110

Disciple
Jul 22, 2020
I think you should go for the Apple TV. (Minimum storage size). Here let me ask you if you use the iPhone? If yes, then definitely go ahead.
I have been using AppleTV for a while now and even at FHD, the clarity is stunning. The screen savers feel so real life life. The WiFi strength is good and remote works flawlessly.
I use File Explorer and VLC to stream from my custom Windows based NAS.

Now, if you do use the iPhone, it doubles up as a remote, then for typing (which is a tedious task with TV remote), it automatically prompts in the phone. Plus, full screen mirroring. You won't be disappointed.

colors6

Disciple
Mar 8, 2010
Going to wait until September and buy the next Apple tv hardware upgrade.