Please help with my Desktop config & questions

hyperknight

Disciple
To be clear, I am not a technically proficient person. I can understands the basics, but not too much. I just want to game on the only serious gaming platform that there is out there - the PC, and my aim is to build a value for money gaming rig within my budget.

1. What is your budget?
Everything I need in under Rs.35k

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
I have no desktop, just an extremely basic laptop

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Klipsch 2.1 Speakers
Logitech Click! Optical Mouse

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU: Anthlon II X3 435 2.95Ghz (3900)
Motherboard: Biostar TA785G3 (3650)
HDD: WD 500GB Blue (2350)
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR3 4400 (4400)
GPU: Radeon 4850 (6550?)
PSU: 550VA APC (1300)
Monitor: Benq G2020HD (6300)
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli (1100)
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD writer (1100)
Network card: Wireless Desktop Card (???)
Keyboard: ?? (???)

TOTAL: 30,650 + ???

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming, movies, medium downloading

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (hopefully :eek:hyeah:)
Borderlands

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
No preference really, but with a 20-inch monitor 1600x1200 i would like to take advantage of, given my GPU.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32-bit

On a side note:

I have put together my version of a value for money gaming rig based on suggestions (and prices) that i have read around on these forums.

A) I have no idea how good the motherboard is. It was just randomly pulled off the March 2010 low-end gaming rig mentioned in the sticky of Buying Advice. Any cheaper suitable one would be appreciated (with equally good performance, of course).

B) Regarding the 4GB Ram, would DDR2 be cheaper and if so by how much approx.? Also, is there a vast difference between DDR2 and DDR3 performance in games?

C) MOST IMPORTANTLY, I am adamant on buying a Radeon 4850 or even a 4870, due to its fps performance in-game. Would 512MB be adequate? Also, from what I've researched, these things soak up power, so would my PSU be adequate? or would I have to get one with greater voltage? Need help on this one because I have no clue.

D) Are wireless desktop cards available in India? If so, does anyone know how much they would cost? Also, I have noticed that no one mentions network cards in their PC specs these days. Are network cards part of the MOBO or something now? I would still need my wireless card for internet access. Just curious to know.

E) For all Mumbai based members, I am planning to go to Lamington Road to buy this assembled PC. Would any of the shops assemble me my desired PC, or would I need to buy the parts and put it together myself?
Any advice with my long list of questions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ok, so this post came onto the forums, 5 days after I had originally posted it, so a couple of things have changed:

X3 435 & TA-785 G3

4GB DDR2 (2*2)

500 GB WD Blue

20 Inch Monitor (Either Samsung or Dell)

Sapphire 5770 1GB

Zebronics Bijli

Corsair VX450

My only concern is whether the VX450 would be able to handle the 5770.

Also, now that ive done a bit more research, I've noticed that people have started complaining with Zebronic's quality. Any other recommendations on a cabinet that's around the same price as Zebronics (arnd 1100)? Im already stretching my budget, so can't afford to go much beyond that.

Corsair VX450 can very easily handle a 5770 in fact it can even handle a 5850.

One more thing the mobo you have chosen TA-785 G3 is a DDR 3 motherboard. I dont think it will support DDR2 Rams. For this you need to buy TA-785 GE.

X3 435 & TA-785 G3 8,500 to 9,000
4GB DDR2 (2*2) 4,400
500 GB WD Blue 2,350
20 Inch Monitor Samsung 20" 6,550
Sapphire 5770 1GB 9,600
Cooler Master 310 1,500
Corsair VX450 3,600

My only concern is whether the VX450 would be able to handle the 5770.

VX450 can handle this rig pretty easily... Infact, it might even handle a few upgrades...

Thanks a lot for the help! I've selected my PC (as shown in my signature) :D

Upgraded to a 5850 but stuck to a VX450 and got the TA785-GE motherboard with DDR2 ram :)

Back