Android Please Post Your OnePlus One CPU Temperature

kvikram

Skilled
Please download the CPUTemp app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yanyan.cputemp&hl=en ... and post your temperature during normal usage and while gaming on the OnePlus One.

I got my OPO just yesterday, and it gets really hot with normal usage. On checking the temps, it would consistently stay above 46 C, would often get to 50 C with basic browsing and other activities and goes up to as high as 55 C while gaming. It feels quite warm in the hand ALL THE TIME, and while gaming it really gets hot and uncomfortable to hold.

Obviously this is a defective unit so I requested a return via Amazon. I also phoned them and they told me they would give me another invite after they received the unit and the refund was issued, so I could buy the phone again.

It's still an amazing phone and I love it. After refunding this I will get another one.

Please post your CPU temps so that I know what the ideal temp should be. Thanks!

My temps just went to 60°C while gaming!!!

Anyway, going to return it and get another one. Other than the heating issue, this phone is awesome!

I feel the heat up issue is software related rather than hardware. Reason being some games like Asphalt runs fine, but a game like Deer Hunter causes a lot of heat up. Strange because, Asphalt is a much more demanding game. So it seems to me the OS is not optimized (governor?) to run all games.
I am attaching 3 screenshots
1. Idle
2. While playing music
3. After playing a game of Asphalt

All those facing heat up issues - try different games and check if the issue is persistent

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-20-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-20-50.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 677
  • Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-31-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-31-27.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-35-29.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-35-29.png
    139 KB · Views: 371
  • Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-41-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-41-51.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 476
Very strange! I have been playing only one game "Thomas was Alone" (very nice game BTW) which is a relatively undemanding 2D game but got the temps as high as 60 C.

I shall try with Asphalt 8 and report back.

And I am thinking, maybe your unit is defective too. Even 53 seems a little too high for asphalt. Ideally I think it shouldnt go above 45. A friend of mine says his phone doesn't go above 45 even after hours of gaming (not sure which game).

Other OPO owners, please chime in with your temps! It would be really helpful.

Hi, the temps that you both are reporting are from cputemp by mooncakes, right?

Even, my temps are pretty high. Have returned the phone.

Quoting my reply from 1+ forums-

I'll state the CPU temps that I'm getting on my current OPO. I've used "Cpu Temperature" by Mooncakes to record the temps. While talking about temps, some people might be talking about the battery temps, not cpu temps. So keep an eye out for that.

All temps (in degree celsius) after about 10 mins of usage-
Candy Crush - ~55
Asphalt 8 - ~58-60
Video Recording via in-built camera app - ~55

Personally, I'd say it's gets pretty warm. Enough that if I receive a call in the middle of gameplay, holding the phone to my ear becomes quite uncomfortable. Also, when Asphalt 8 gets to ~55-60, even the glass feels quite warm. I'm not sure I can game for extended periods of time with this. & I'm also surprised that a casual game like Candy Crush is not too far behind Asphalt.

I've just reported my temps here to act as a reference point. I'm not sure whether this is the norm. Maybe the others can chip in. You could probably install the same app & keep an eye on the temps.

Either way, HTH.

@kidrow I experienced the exact same thing with my OPO. I have also returned the phone. I have now ordered another one, let's see if it's any better. It's possibly just a manufacturing defect of some kind, and I hope I don't have to return this second one too.

Can you give a link to the thread on the OnePlus forums where you posted that reply?

@kidrowCan you give a link to the thread on the OnePlus forums where you posted that reply?
Yep, @paarkhi has linked to one. Here's another - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/high-temperature-during-games.206577/

The trouble with OPO forums is that the approach of most is pretty unscientific. Users will simply post something like, "my phone's heating" & others will simply say, "it's normal" without asking for any sort a benchmark/tests/readings. Hence most posts aren't too useful but the 2 threads linked here are slightly better in that regard.

Screenshot_2014-12-16-20-33-45 (1).png

Was watching youtube and at the same time screen casting through chromecast. CPU temp showed 72 degrees. Attached is a screenshot at 71 degrees. Battery temperature at the same time was 35degrees which is seen in cool tool info overlay in screenshot.
For normal apps the temperature is around 50-55 degrees and games is around 60 degrees.
I will check with other OPO's with friends and revert with more data.
Which app to run for how much time to check the temperature? Can we decide a common app for this test so that people can post the result.

^I think Cputemp by mooncakes is fine. & maybe readings at around ~10 mins usage per app should be enough. If the device has issues, I think it'll show in ~10 mins. per app. At least that's been enough for me.

Btw, even my replacement has high temps. I can feel it without having to confirm with CpuTemp. Will of course post my temps later.

I'm really starting to believe that 1+ is making us scapegoats by dumping globally rejected pieces.

So, I've been using the OPO for a couple of weeks now, and I've been closely monitoring the temperatures.
Under general usage, YouTube, browsing, PDFs, emails etc., the temperature stayed below 43°C.

In "balanced" mode, when playing Real Racing 3, the temperature shot up to 55-58°C. In "performance" mode, with the same game, the temperature shot up to 75°C! This was after about 2-3 hours of nonstop gameplay. Now, I'm not sure if this is OK or not.

Any thoughts, guys?

Back