Budget 31-40k Please suggest a laptop which can handle hadoop installation

Hey Guys,

I need to learn Hadoop hence so I would like to install and run hadoop on my laptop. I have a 6 years old lenovo which is not good enough to do this hence need a new laptop. Please suggest a laptop which can easily handle hadoop installation and its working.

• What's your Budget? Between 30k to 40k
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Working on Hadoop, web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming/movies
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 15.6 inch
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Any would do
  • Any other considerations? Need a laptop with win 8.1. I would also like to use this laptop as my home laptop for next 3-4 years atleast. So I would be using it for torrents, watching movies etc.

Hey Guys,

I need to learn Hadoop hence so I would like to install and run hadoop on my laptop. I have a 6 years old lenovo which is not good enough to do this hence need a new laptop. Please suggest a laptop which can easily handle hadoop installation and its working.

• What's your Budget? Between 30k to 40k
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Working on Hadoop, web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming/movies
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 15.6 inch
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Any would do
  • Any other considerations? Need a laptop with win 8.1. I would also like to use this laptop as my home laptop for next 3-4 years atleast. So I would be using it for torrents, watching movies etc.
I believe I would be needing the below configuration to make sure Hadoop works well:
4th generation i5
4 GB RAM
1 TB HDD
2 GB Graphic card

I just built a machine for the same purpose. Tell you what, you need to focus on more RAM. More than the processing power, it'd be available system memory that could prospectively create a bottleneck.

I got myself a Lenovo Flex 2 14 inch. It came with 8GB onboard memory and added additional 8GB stick. Right now I am trying my hand on Hadoop 2.7 on Ubuntu 15.04. Have added PIG and so far everything is going great. I have a similar installation on my office system (Lenovo T420, i5, 8GB) and the response isn't good enough.

So, you mean to say we need 16 GB RAM to handle hadoop smoothly? And what is the processor in your lenovo flex 2 i3 or i5? Please let me know.[DOUBLEPOST=1432299184][/DOUBLEPOST]So, you mean to say we need 16 GB RAM to handle hadoop smoothly? And what is the processor in your lenovo flex 2 i3 or i5? Please let me know.

It's good to have both lots of RAM and also big HDD since hadoop means you will typically be playing with HDFS and also stuff like Spark for some in-memory processing. RAM will also come in handy if you go on to play around with hadoop clusters so you might need to fire up some VMs and all that jazz ...

8GB should be enough but more RAM is better. Eventually I'd want to try out the multi cluster setup so I just invested in more RAM. I have the i7 version but i5 should be good enough.

I did quite a lot of research before buying this machine since my only requirement was to learn hadoop.

Ah I just now see you have a tight budget :) So get the best config you can squeeze in your spending budget and have fun !!!

Get a Lenovo G510 if you can get and put in a 4GB RAM stick to get a total of 8GB. Also replace the 500GB HDD as per your requirement. It has Core i5M and is pretty cheap for a decent config. I bought it and got myself a 1TB SSD for my requirements. Battery backup is also pretty good and the weight is also manageable.

8GB should be enough but more RAM is better. Eventually I'd want to try out the multi cluster setup so I just invested in more RAM. I have the i7 version but i5 should be good enough.

I did quite a lot of research before buying this machine since my only requirement was to learn hadoop.
Could you please provide me a link on any e-commerce site of your machine so that I can buy accordingly? It would really help me. One more thing that I want to ask do we need graphic card as well for hadoop?[DOUBLEPOST=1432367781][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah I just now see you have a tight budget :) So get the best config you can squeeze in your spending budget and have fun !!!
I can increase my budget to 50k if I can get a good laptop

Last edited:
Could you please provide me a link on any e-commerce site of your machine so that I can buy accordingly? It would really help me. One more thing that I want to ask do we need graphic card as well for hadoop?

Graphic card isnt needed. The system that I own has only intel onboard graphics.
I can increase my budget to 50k if I can get a good laptop.

Have a look at the Lenovo G50-70. It comes with a full HD screen, have a dedicated graphic card, 1TB HDD. Add another 8GB RAM stick and you should be all set.

Check it out here: https://paytm.com/shop/p/lenovo-g50...1-black-CMPLXLAPLENOVO-G50-7MOME21052F43B9513 (38K) and may be another 4.5K for 8GB RAM. You'd have an exellent i7 based system for less than 45K.

I actually bought that system first but there were certain other constraints that I had so changed it. I needed a smaller form factor and a backlit keyboard so got the Flex-2. Technically, the one I mentioned above is better than what I have.

Flex 2 has a better screen compared to that G50-70
Actually the link that posted for the G50-70 isn't exactly what I bought. The one I got was Full HD and comparing that with my current Flex 2 (again Full HD), I can still say that the G50 had a better screen. At least the G50 had way lesser backlit bleeding. The Flex 2 that I have suffers from screen ghosting/memory issue as well. Of course its touch enabled but that wasn't my requirement and I never use that feature.

Thanks again but is it advisable to buy laptop from paytm? I mean will I get the warranty? And one more thing, do you think 4th gen i3 processor with 8gb ram can handle hadoop?

Thanks again but is it advisable to buy laptop from paytm? I mean will I get the warranty? And one more thing, do you think 4th gen i3 processor with 8gb ram can handle hadoop?
Well I bought the G50-70 from paytm and was able to register it on lenovo website and got free 3 years extended warranty. No issues with that. On the contrary, my cousin bought another lenovo laptop from amazon and the lenovo India guys denied the warranty extension. The reason was pretty vague (something to do with amazon purchase).

Fact of the matter is, the invoice that you'll get from paytm would be of some store and not paytm. It'd be as good as buying from a brick and mortar store.

Back