CPU/Mobo Please suggest an upgrade to my PC

I am planning to upgrade my home PC. The current config i have is p4 1.6 GHz, 1 GB DDR Ram, 40 + 80 GB HDD, Creative SB Live Value pack with Cambridge soundworks 4.1 speakers, DVD duel layer writer etc. My current MB has only two PCI slots and they are already filled with Sound card and Firewire card. My MB is Mercury made with VIA chipset. This is a 4.5 years old machine upgraded couple of times in between.

The parts i am planning to upgrade are MB, processor, possibly RAM and add a graphics card.

I am planning to have a duel core processor. Which one to go for? Did AMD launch it's duel cores in India. How much does the AMD 3800 X2 cost? How are the new duel core CPUs from Intel?

Also please suggest a good compatiable mother board.

Should I upgrade my RAM from DDR to DDR2?

What is the best value graphics card? I need one that is good for gaming but not very expensive. This card should be compatiable to play current versions of NFS, Colin McRae rally etc. I also do some video editing using Premiere Elements. My current rig is good enough for most of it except for the never ending rendering time. A 20 mins video takes 1 hour for rendering.

My budget is RS. 15000 to 20,000, may be stretch a bit if required.

Another option is just add a graphics card to my current PC. Can i add a current day mid level card to AGP slot in my current MB? I am noob in graphic cards. Please disregard my ignorance.

Advanced thanks for all the suggestions.

Core 2 Duo E6300, Asus P5LD2-VM-SE, 1GB Transcend DDR2 667, NVIDIA 7600GS/ATI X1600 Pro. This will set you back by around 25 grand and will last a pretty long time.

c2dE6300 and a MSI neo 675 wud do it with a 7600GS... will b 20k. if u wait for some time(say dec. end) then u may get a much better deal... ne ways depends on u... and ya if u can strech it to include the p5ld2 then tht wud b better...

Chaos said:
Core 2 Duo E6300, Asus P5LD2-VM-SE, 1GB Transcend DDR2 667, NVIDIA 7600GS/ATI X1600 Pro. This will set you back by around 25 grand and will last a pretty long time.

Perfect bundle ,although i wouldnt recommend the X1600Pro to you considering the poor performance.:no:

Satish,

Also check the availability of IDe ports on the mainboard. Most of the boards now come with a single ide connector. You may have to employ some "sata-ide" converter if you want to use your existing hdds and dvd drive.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Earlier i had to hold my purchase due to other priorities. Today morning my system conks off and may be it's time for overhaul.
Does the earlier config still hold good or are there any better choices?
Core 2 Duo E6300, Asus P5LD2-VM-SE, 1GB Transcend DDR2 667, NVIDIA 7600GS/ATI X1600 Pro.
I want a decent performer as it is mainly going to be .NET dev machine and video editing (Adobe Premiere elements).
I will hold the graphics card for the time being but i am sure going to add one sometime later.
How much does a 250GB HDD cost?
I want to connect 1 DVD writer and 1 IDE HDD from my current system to the new system. Are the new gen MBs compatiable?
I have 2 PCI cards, Firewire and Sound Blaster value. Having another free PCI slot on the MB is a nice thing.
Should i replace SMPS in my current cabinet?

Yes you have to replace ur smps, and no you wont be able to use ur old IDE Hard Drive with this motherboard, use only ur DVD-writer. 250GB Seagate should set you back by Rs.3600/- and yes the above mentioned config is still good enough considering you requirements.

I am not sure about you should be able to use your older hard drives, new motherboards are supposed to support PATA/SATA/SATA II.

Back