Budget 21-30k please suggest the mobo and gpu

sastryhvs

Recruit
I bought ryzen 7 2700, samsung 500 gb nvme ssd and corsair 3000 mhz 2*8gb ram last month. Now I am confused about the motherboard and gpu that i should buy. i am not into gaming but use the desktop for data analysis, programming and occasional video editing. I also intend to replace the cpu later on with ryzen zen3 processors that are to be released later this year. I am looking for a mid range mobo that will support the yet to be released ryzen cpus while compatible with my current processor. Please suggest a couple of motherboards and a budget gpu. can increase the budget slightly upwards.

I think you would need to get X570 chipset based motherboard. There are instances on web where B550 based mobo is able to drive Ryzen 2000 series CPUs but I wonder if this is mentioned in compatibility list of mobos.

You can see the chipset + processor family compatibility on AMD site. The 2700 is a 2nd gen Ryzen, and only the X570 offers forward support for Zen 3 processors, unless you want to manually flash the BIOS of a B450 board to support Zen 3. X570 boards are pricey, ~15k for the decent entry level ones from MSI or Asus. For GPU, if its just productivity/programming use with a 1080p (?) monitor then a basic GT710 (GDDR5 version) would suffice. I've used this in an office-type build before and it just works. Don't expect anything fancy from it though. You mentioned video editing but didn't provide much detail on what s/w, resolution etc, so I can only guess at it, but a RX570 would fit the bill as that is a good all round buy for basic video editing. "Data analysis" you mentioned is interesting, are you planning on using Excel, Jupyter notebooks or running queries on database like Postgres?

There are 3rd gen ready b450 mobos that don't require a bios flash out of the box
Like the - MSI Tomahawk Max, Asrock Steel Legend, Gigabyte Aorus Elite etc.

If you're upgrading to a 3rd gen ryzen later, you can get a B550 motherboard for now. Cheaper boards are available now - https://www.amazon.in/s?k=b550&ref=nb_sb_noss_2. The x570's have better VRM's and more features, but some mid and high end b550 boards offer similar features like the x570 chipset.

GPU wise - A 1650 super would be ok for light editing but a 1660 super would be better for more intensive tasks. I think the difference between the two is like 5-7k max (depending on the model).

Last edited:
There are 3rd gen ready b450 mobos that don't require a bios flash out of the box
Like the - MSI Tomahawk Max, Asrock Steel Legend, Gigabyte Aorus Elite etc.
OP meant Zen3 = Ryzen 4000 series CPUs - due for release in this year.

If you're upgrading to a 3rd gen ryzen later, you can get a B550 motherboard for now.
But R7 2700 is not officially listed as being compatible with B550 chipset.

OP meant Zen3 = Ryzen 4000 series CPUs - due for release in this year.

But R7 2700 is not officially listed as being compatible with B550 chipset.

Oh my mistake.
Didn't AMD confirm that B450 mobos will still support ryzen 4000 series?
That means OP can only choose between b450 and x570.

Back