Plug2Surf opinions anyone?

Safin

Skilled
Guys am looking for a wireless solution for my laptop. Am sick of the slow GPRS speeds right now(yep no edge compliant tower anywhere near my place. So am looking at the theorotically better performing CDMA network. I will be happy with 10KBps speeds :)

Now anyone used the tata plug2surf? They have a unlimited plan for 1000 bucks(USB modem)

Any opinions on the following
1) I have full coverage of TATA Indicomm. Does the line drop on the network though. If i plan to keep it connected most of the time, would there be a line drop issue.
2) Does the USB modem get heated up and concequently line dropping issue due to that?
3) Hopefully i shouldn't see billing related problems on unlimited plan. (I saw some people have the billing problems with tata.)
4) And finally what are average connect and download speeds one gets? Is it consistent. I got a demo done and i was getting around 14KBps at the time of demo. Primary use is laptop on xp.

Safin said:
Guys am looking for a wireless solution for my laptop. Am sick of the slow GPRS speeds right now(yep no edge compliant tower anywhere near my place. So am looking at the theorotically better performing CDMA network. I will be happy with 10KBps speeds :)

Now anyone used the tata plug2surf? They have a unlimited plan for 1000 bucks(USB modem)

Any opinions on the following
1) I have full coverage of TATA Indicomm. Does the line drop on the network though. If i plan to keep it connected most of the time, would there be a line drop issue.
2) Does the USB modem get heated up and concequently line dropping issue due to that?
3) Hopefully i shouldn't see billing related problems on unlimited plan. (I saw some people have the billing problems with tata.)
4) And finally what are average connect and download speeds one gets? Is it consistent. I got a demo done and i was getting around 14KBps at the time of demo. Primary use is laptop on xp.

1) No.
2)USB modem does heat up but no line dropping i have faced so far.
3)i have no billing problem with them .
4)Average i am getting is 17-19 KB ( HTTP ) 14-16 ( Torrent , Limewire )

Hmm.. thanks mate.
Just an addon question. If it does get heated up do you continue to use it or disconnect and let it cool? And does the speed suffer when it heats up.

i am using it because......er......my reason.

I havent faced any issue. Not even heating. Intially, it used to disconnect itself but that got solved. No issues on payment either. Its kinda sad if your used to "good" speeds and you have to use this. I didnt see any drop when it gets warmer. But I have seen an increase in only limewire during download from 1-8 by 2-5kbps more. Other then that, use it for "the last resort".

OK thanks guys. I will give it a shot.

I don't plan to download a lot anyway. I need it basically to get decent speeds when am on the move or even otherwise for plain surfing. The airtel gprs was killing me.

one question - the unlimited that tata offers is valid in terms of usage time as well as data download - am i correct?

regards,
Raja

Safin said:
1. Nope, I've had it on for even 72 hours at a stretch.
2. The modem does heat but does not cause a line drop. Besides the heating is due to the CDMA circuitry heating up and not any USB components.
3. I'm on the 700/month 1GB plan for 11 months now and they haven't miss-billed yet (touch wood!)
4. ~ 12kBps HTTP for me, I use my BSNL line for torrents/limewire.

Cheers!

Check the BSNL EVDO data card. Supposed to give around 1-2 meg download speed. The monthly rent will come to 550 + 200 for the modem.

I think its been launched in all major cities but there are no advertisements etc. You can get more details from your local BSNL office.

I've Been using Plug2Surf whiz for few months now. I guess the application is same for both P2S and P2S whiz.

Connectivity is good overall. Speeds are better in areas where reception is better, in some areas it crawls.

Billing dept. is shit. I'm having problem with them since the start. Even after cheque is cleared from my bank, their systems are not updated and I keep getting calls for paying up.

Bundled software has some issues with keeping track of log if used on different systems. So initially I had problems getting difference in usage stats shown in bills. They advice you to download updated version from their website. I tried that but the problem still persists (Maybe I'll try clean re-install next week and see).

All in all, good technology. Works upto claim when it's working better, slow otherwise (depending on area). Haven't failed me yet completely. If I hadn't had problem with their billing dept. I would give it high marks.

Back