PC Peripherals Plz suggest a computer for around 1 lakh

phoenix007

Disciple
I need to a computer for games,movies and music.So plz suggest a config for around 1 lakh(+ or - 10k).I won't be overclocking at all.

This is what i have in mind:-

conroe 2.67 E6600 mhz:-(Rs.16,000)

Motherboard:- intel badaxe 975 (also what model no. and how much does it cost ??) or suggest something better.

Hard drive:-2*Seagate 7200.10 - 320 GB ST3320620AS (16MB cache) (Rs 5,400) - 320GB*2 -- Rs.10,800

Optical drive:- LG H10A/N (Rs 2100)
2.1 Speakers :-Altec Lansing MX-5021( Price Rs. 7500) or ATP3 or any other model ??(priority is movies, music and games in that order)

Keyboard and Mouse:- suggest something good that's not expensive. I am a complete noob...so don't suggest any complex mouse that i find hard to operate.

Graphics card:- 7600gt (which one - leadtek or XFX and cost? or anything else?).After a yr. i plan to go for ATI's R600 card.

Tv tuner card:- ATI Theater 550PRO-E (cost and where to get?)

RAM:- plz suggest some decent 2Gb 667 MHz DDR2 dual channel RAM and its cost.

Monitor:- Samsung Syncmaster 997 DF (cost??) or should i go with lcd???I mean i would prefer an lcd but i can't stand even a single dead pixel or ghosting/blurring.Even backlight bleeding bothers me somewhat.Also how bad is picture quality compared to crts?? Also is there a possiblity that, after a while, say two or three yrs. down the line these monitors will develop any new dead pixels or wierd lines or things like that???

If lcd which one??Dell UltraSharp 1707FP,Dell UltraSharp 1907FP,ViewSonic VA1912wb or the viewsonic VX2025wm and how much would they cost ???I would want one which doesn't produce any ghosting during games or HD movies and with atleast 16.7 m colors. I would definitely prefer a widescreen model. I don't mind spending upto 20 k for a 20 inch lcd,but my main concern is if its a 19 or a 20 inch lcd i won't be able to play games at decent settings.I mean i will be using 7600gt for about a yr. and then switch to R600 but after that i won't be upgrading to another card for another 2 yrs.

Cabinet and Power Supply: - This is where i have no idea what to get.Suggest some good cabinet that isn't exorbitantly expensive.Also suggest the no. of fans i would need to install,etc,etc.

Now coming to power supply,plz only suggest a model that would confortably handle this configuration i am planning to purchase. I will be upgrading this PSU when i do get the R600.

So plz suggest me a decent config.There is a problem though--- I am a complete noob when it comes to PCs so do you think i should spend this much or should i be content with say spending 50-70k.I don't wanna spend a bomb for a new pc and end up like techboy--Unhappy and facing all sorts of problems.:tongue: :tongue:

phoenix007 said:
I need to a computer for games,movies and music.So plz suggest a config for around 1 lakh(+ or - 10k).I won't be overclocking at all.

This is what i have in mind:-
conroe 2.67 E6600 mhz:-(Rs.16,000)

Motherboard:- intel badaxe 975 (also what model no. and how much does it cost ??) or suggest something better.

Hard drive:-2*Seagate 7200.10 - 320 GB ST3320620AS (16MB cache) (Rs 5,400) - 320GB*2 -- Rs.10,800

Optical drive:- LG H10A/N (Rs 2100)
2.1 Speakers :-Altec Lansing MX-5021( Price Rs. 7500) or ATP3 or any other model ??(priority is movies, music and games in that order)

Keyboard and Mouse:- suggest something good that's not expensive. I am a complete noob...so don't suggest any complex mouse that i find hard to operate.

Graphics card:- 7600gt (which one - leadtek or XFX and cost? or anything else?).After a yr. i plan to go for ATI's R600 card.

Tv tuner card:- ATI Theater 550PRO-E (cost and where to get?)

RAM:- plz suggest some decent 2Gb 667 MHz DDR2 dual channel RAM and its cost.

Monitor:- Samsung Syncmaster 997 DF (cost??) or should i go with lcd???I mean i would prefer an lcd but i can't stand even a single dead pixel or ghosting/blurring.Even backlight bleeding bothers me somewhat.Also how bad is picture quality compared to crts?? Also is there a possiblity that, after a while, say two or three yrs. down the line these monitors will develop any new dead pixels or wierd lines or things like that???

If lcd which one??Dell UltraSharp 1707FP,Dell UltraSharp 1907FP,ViewSonic VA1912wb or the viewsonic VX2025wm and how much would they cost ???I would want one which doesn't produce any ghosting during games or HD movies and with atleast 16.7 m colors. I would definitely prefer a widescreen model. I don't mind spending upto 20 k for a 20 inch lcd,but my main concern is if its a 19 or a 20 inch lcd i won't be able to play games at decent settings.I mean i will be using 7600gt for about a yr. and then switch to R600 but after that i won't be upgrading to another card for another 2 yrs.

Cabinet and Power Supply: - This is where i have no idea what to get.Suggest some good cabinet that isn't exorbitantly expensive.Also suggest the no. of fans i would need to install,etc,etc.
Now coming to power supply,plz only suggest a model that would confortably handle this configuration i am planning to purchase. I will be upgrading this PSU when i do get the R600.

So plz suggest me a decent config.There is a problem though--- I am a complete noob when it comes to PCs so do you think i should spend this much or should i be content with say spending 50-70k.I don't wanna spend a bomb for a new pc and end up like techboy--Unhappy and facing all sorts of problems.:tongue: :tongue:
E6600 for 16K ???? where :S . Its for 17.5K inc tax
mobo: P5W DH: 14.5K
HDD: Again wrong Prices. Seagate 320gb cost 5K at LR.
Optical: Good Choice
Speakers: Again G. Choice
GPU: Get a 7900GT they are cheap now.
RAM: Corsiar valueselect DDR2-667 2gb : 10-11K. (IIRC)
Other things of ur choice n taste\

Processor - E6600 - Good Choice.

Mobo - Try the Asus P5W DH Deluxe. What you need is a feature rich board rather than a pure overclocker like the Intel.

RAM -2 GB DDR2 667MHz, If you can source it from US, you might go for 800MHz. The best available in India for a decent price is 667MHz. Go or brands like Kingston, Corsair. These brands have both value and premium series. Value RAM should cost you around 10-11k for 2 GB.

HDD - 2 x 320 GB SATA2 Seagate (Good Choice)

Optical Drive - LG/Sony/Benq DVD Writer.

Speakers - If you want 2.1, then good choice. But since movies is on top of your priority list, I suggest that you invest in a 5.1 set rather than 2.1

Graphics card - Go for a XFX/Leadtek 7900GS rather than a 7600GT. If you wanna play some of the recent games before you get a DX10 GPU, you will be disappointed with the 7600GT. should be around 14k.

Monitor - Go for an LCD. CRT's are a bit outdated now. I would suggest the Viewsonic 2025WM for 20k or the Dell 2007WFP for 27k. A monitor is a one time purchase. If you buy a 17 or 19" now, you will be struck with it. anyway you are going to upgrade GPU in a while.

Mouse/Keyboard - Genius Ergo 525 2000 DPI Laser Mouse. cost is around 1.5~1.6k and is the best value for money Laser mouse around. Keyboard - your choice based on personal preferences. look around a bit and select.

PSU/Cabinet - I would suggest the Antec TP Trio 550W for 7.3k , go for one of those Cheiftec cases rather than spend a premium on Antec ones.

TV Tuner - I have no idea about these.

Edit: shado_chazzer_killer beat me to some of the suggestions. :)

Thx a lot guyz, especially lord_nemesis, but a few questions here. Firstly which Cheiftec case(model no.??) would you recommend???Also how is zebronics jamaica compared to this model??Also plz suggest how many fans do i need to install and also name some decent quiet noiseless(atleast not that noisy) fans.For i plan to build a media center pc and so noise should be minimum.

Also is there really a need for Antec TP Trio 550W right now when i will have to upgrade to a much higher watt PSU when i upgrade to dx10 card???

So can't i do with a SP 2.0 - 500 (Rs.5093) or one of those 500W power safe models????

And finally the reason i am hesitating from getting a 20 inch monitor is because of the graphics power it needs. Although i will soon upgrade to dx10 card , once i do that,i won't be carrying out any further upgradation for atleast another 2-3 yrs.BTW, is there any real difference in graphics power requirement for a 19 inch lcd compared to a 20 incher during gaming???

Well phoenix007, I have the zebronics Jamaica and its a damn nice cabby. It has provision for 2 x 120mm one at front for inflow and one at back for exhaust. Theres a top 80mm exhaust. a 80mm exhaust provision for the HDD cage and provision for another 2 x 80mm on the side for intake or exhaust. cost of this cabby now should be around 3k without PSU. Most of the stuff can be assembled without a screwdriver. But if you want you can use screws too.

As for the cheiftec Cabby see this thread by Funky

Chieftec-BH02-B-B-B-Cabinet

As for fan configuration, the bare minimum you should have is a front Intake and a back exhaust. the rest, you can install optionally based on your need. As for me, I have installed 4 fans and an additional dual fan slot cooler in my cabby. I still have provision to add another 120mm intake at the front.

If you go for some good decent fans, the noise will be kept to a minimum. I Dont know about the Antec's or cooler masters, but I have Foxconns and they are decent enough in airflow not audiable at all. Generally, The faster the fan runs, the more air it will blow and the more noise it makes. The bigger the fan, the more air it blows. So fast 80mm fans are going to make noise. But a comparitively low speed 120mm fan can beat a high speed 80mm fan in airflow. so for minimal noise, one should ideally go for low speed 120mm fans, but most cases do not have provision for more than 2 x 120mm fans. The only case I know which allows more is the CM Stacker 830 which has provision for 9 x 120mm fans. But at its 12k price tag, people who can afford it, will anyway go for a Water cooling kit too. :)

Comming to the PSU, this is one of the most neglected component when a machine is bulit. When you put so much costly stuff inside, you should consider investing in a good PSU. Even if you are going to upgrade to a better GPU in a few months, your rig has to run trouble free those many months. Considering the amount of stuff you are gonna put in that rig, its essential that you have a good PSU like the Trio 550 or atleast the Neo HE 500. Also in my opinion, the DX10 cards will have to have a seperate Power adapter bundled considering thier speculated specs and it makes sense for them too. But what ever the case, I would suggest that you invest in a good PSU now for your own peace of mind. After all, you dont wanna end like TechBoy, do you.. Having top of the line machine with infinite problems.. :) . When I made my rig, Antec had little presense in India and the best PSU, the dealers here had was a ColorsIT 400W. I faced some problems like HDD corrupion one time and low Graphics performance, system bootup problems etc. After I upgraded to a Antec Neo 500, I never faced another problem with my rig and it works like a charm.

Regarding the Monitor, 20" is the way to go for a movies or gaming machine. Also the current 20" LCD have better quality and specifications than most of the 19". 19" gradually becomming mainstream category now and I believe that when a product becomes mainstream, the quality begins to drop gradually in an effort to push the prices down. I am sure that the DX10 card that you may puchase in a few months will last you for atleat 2 years if not more.

regarding the GPU muscle required for running a 19" or 20", The 19" WS has a native resolution of 1440 x 900 and the 20" has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. So obviously more GPU power is required to drive the games at native resolution. As you might already know the LCDs look best at the native resolution. But definitely for you rig, a 20" WS LCD is the way to go.

oops.. looks like have written an entire history book here...:rofl: sorry for the long thread.

Hi nemesis,

how much does the 7900GS cost?

Also, iGreen series from Cooler master can be equally good as the Antec. Another PSU suggestion.

dekruzader said:
Hi nemesis,

how much does the 7900GS cost?

Also, iGreen series from Cooler master can be equally good as the Antec. Another PSU suggestion.

I dont know for sure about the exact pricing of 7900GS, but approximately, it should be around 13~14.5k for the XFX/Leadtek brands.

As for the iGreen series, the specs of a 600W iGreen are almost same as that of the Antec NeoHE 500W except for the max amperage that can be delivered on the 12V rails individually

Just to summarize,

Both Antec NeoHE 500 and CM iGreen 600 have 3 12V rails. Antec's rails are rated at 17A each while the CM ones are rated at one 19.5A and two 19A. But the max load either of them can take is 456W watt which comes to 38A. So technically speaking, The one of the iGreens rails can be loaded a bit more than the NeoHE 500, but over all neither can deliver more than 38A across all three rails combined. You would normally try to balance the machine load across all three rails, so the 19A rating doesnt mean much. one more point to be noted is that most PSU ratings are given at 25 deg temp. The NeoHE ratings are given at 50 deg temp. So this means that the iGreen will not be able to deliver as much as it promiced as the temperatures in India go above 40 deg in summer. Also the NeoHE is a modular PSU. dont know about iGreen though.

NeoHE 500 sells for 6k. So unless the iGreen 600W is priced lower or similar, it doesnt stand a chance before the NeoHE 500 in value for money.

dekruzader said:
Hmm... I was going for the 7600GT myself. but, if the 7900GS is somewhere around 14k, I think it would be better.

yep, It should be a lot better than the 7600GT considering that it has almost similar specs as a 7900GT except for the reduced pipes.

Again thx a lot lord_nemesis! So this is the final specs(well almost :D) of my rig :-

Proccy: E6600- 17.5K

RAM: Corsair Value Select 2x1GB DDR2 @667MHz -Rs.13k

Hard Drive: 2 x 320 GB SATA2 Seagate - 10.2k

Dvd writer: LG H10A/N- Rs 2100

Speakers: Altec Lansing MX-5021- Rs. 7500

Graphics card: Leadtek 7900GS Rs.14k (Again how much does a 7900gt cost?)

cabinet: zebronics Jamaica - 3.2k

PSU: Antec NeoHE 500W Rs.6k ( or do you still think i should go with Trio 550)

Genius Ergo: 525 Rs.1.5~1.6k

Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 Rs.950

Ati theatre 550 pro tv tuner

Mobo: Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Rs 14.5k( or should i just go with a 965 mobo since i won't be overclocking nor do i need two GPU slots in a mobo?? If so which one and what cost??Suggest the best value for money.)

Monitor ----- This is where i just can't make up my mind. okay here's a stupid question:-- If i do buy the viewsonic 20 incher can i use it alternatively with my current 15 inch crt??? I mean most times i could use the 2025 but for demanding games(Where gpu power isn't enough to power the 20 inch lcd) i could just unplug the lcd and instead connect my 15" crt and play those at high settings???? Is such an arrangement possible and more importantly reasonably practicable ???

Get the best psu around :p if u wanna upgrade soon for a dx 10 card.

well dx 10 is on horizon it wont be feasible to spend so much on sx9 right now u can try anything for a stop gap measure.

If you have good home theatre system then good else i'd have suggested a diff rig hers my specs.

cabby - antec super lan boy or zamaica 4k?
smps antec neo he 500 watts - 6k
ram 2 gig ddr2 = 13k as u said
mobo asus wifi wala 14k
proccy e00 17k
hdd 2*320 gigs 10k
dvd rw - 2k
total comes around 66k ~ 65k.
since u said music

you can well invest 40k on a home theatre system with all high end amps and speakers chaos or superczar or zhop can guide u better on this
Monitor your not really gonna get those S-IPS panels here so just get 2025 one for 20k and dont buy a gfx card now get a decent one when dx 10 comes out. if you can use something for a stop gap measure or buy 700gs maybe?

if your investing 1.1 lakh its well worth investing behind a complete home theatre setup for 20k~25k or so....just my 2 cents.
else get the above setup lord nemesis fixed for ya :) and get the viewsonic monitor and 7900gt too if u stick to tht list.

phoenix007 said:
Monitor ----- This is where i just can't make up my mind. okay here's a stupid question:-- If i do buy the viewsonic 20 incher can i use it alternatively with my current 15 inch crt??? I mean most times i could use the 2025 but for demanding games(Where gpu power isn't enough to power the 20 inch lcd) i could just unplug the lcd and instead connect my 15" crt and play those at high settings???? Is such an arrangement possible and more importantly reasonably practicable ???

Most midrage to high end Graphics cards including 7600GT, 7900GS, 7900GT support two monitors. so you can keep both Monitors connected, use both of them at the same time or switch from one to another through the display settings. :) Anyway even on a 20" you can still use lower resolutions stretched to full screen or using even use only the required number of pixels to display in the corret format. for example if if you want a resolution like 1024 x 768, it can either be stretched to fullscreen or you can make it display the image using only 1024 x 768 pixels on the screen. Some models like my Dell 2007WFP do not even require the graphics card support for doing this. There are options in the display settings to select how to display non native resolutions. so you are safe with a 20" even without a backup 15".

Reg the price of 7900GT, I dont know the exact pricing, but it should be priced between 16~18k for the XFX/Leadtek brands.
x86 said:
Get the best psu around :p if u wanna upgrade soon for a dx 10 card.

well dx 10 is on horizon it wont be feasible to spend so much on sx9 right now u can try anything for a stop gap measure.

The problem with DX10 cards is that we do not know for sure when they are going to enter the indian market. lets say that the nVidia cards are available by Jan end. But you would want to wait till ATi cards are available too. so maybe by feb end both are available. But if you see the pattern for the GX 7950 cards, they were priced at $625 in US and they started at 62k in India. Going by that and the speculated $650 price of the 8800 series, we can expect a price of around 65k for the DX10 cards when they enter our markets. :hap5: So you would want to wait another 3~4 months for the prices to reach the earth. Even if you want to go for mid range cards, they would be released much later as is the case with the 6xxx and the 7xxx series. so a midrange card now like the 7900GS is a far better option than a stop gap arrangement like 7600GT/GS. you can even go for a 7900GT.

Regarding the PSU, the best available in India right now is the Antec TP Trio 650 which has a rating of 624W on the 12V rails and sells for 9.2k. But we do not know for sure, the requirements of the DX10 cards and whether they will require to be fed form the main PSU or they will include a PSU of thier own or what not. So spending too much on the best PSU now in India is not a wise decision and neither is going for a low cost PSU as a stop gap arrangement. You should be fine with a NeoHE 500 now.

My advice is get a 20" LCD. Also get a 7900GS/GT and a Antec NeoHE 500 and use them as long as you can. When you feel that you cannot do without a DX10 card or you feel that your current card is going to decline in value, sell it off and get the new DX10 card. By that time the DX10 cards should be decently priced.

With a budget of 1 lakh I recommend you dump the zebby and chieftec cabbies and go for something like a Stacker 810. Much, much better cooling... the P180 will also give you plenty of ventilation. No sense in cutting costs AFA cabbies go. There is a huge difference in BQ as well.

The other suggestions are pretty sound :)

had problems with a couple of leadtek 7900GT's, cards seemed DOA. Suggest XFX as the value option over Ldtk

:) You have already been given a lot of good suggestions....
I want to add for such a nice pc it would be nice if you can get the ddr2 800 ram...I know the prices are very high in India.....but it is the best fit for any core2 proccy....you will get xtreme performance...
Also if dvds are your priority get a 5.1...with ur cash i would have...something like the logitech z5300 or z5500(if u have a lot to spend)..:)
third as the other members have said it would take a long time for dx10 cards to reach india and for their prices to stabilise....look u can never predict what would be the power requirements for a product that has not yet been released...buy the neo he 500...and get a nice graphics card the ati 1900xt is what I would suggest...
you will spend 1.1 lakhs on a pc and then get a 7600gt so that u will buy a dx10 card next year....and for that 1 year u will have sick graphics card and by then u will have dx11:bleh: :bleh:
whatever u are buying buy at one go.....dont think i will get a better deal tommorow....u never do..
:) end of my two cents of advice..happy buying..
p.s the coolermaster igreen 500 is approx 6k in Bangalore...

vandal said:
With a budget of 1 lakh I recommend you dump the zebby and chieftec cabbies and go for something like a Stacker 810/830. Much, much better cooling... the P180 will also give you plenty of ventilation. No sense in cutting costs AFA cabbies go. There is a huge difference in BQ as well.

lol.. CM Stacker 810/830 indeed are great cabbies, but they carry too hefty a price tag and occupies a lot more space than needed. I dont know whether the Stackers really deserves the price tags they carriy, but P180 definitely doesnt deserve its price tag in my opinion. It might have been more value had it been priced around 5k. :hap5: But anyway there are lot other Antec cabbies that dont deserve their price tags in my opinion.

I agree about the build quality and good ventilation of these cabbies, but I dont feel that its worth the money spent on these cabbies even if you have a lot to spend. A cheiftec too would have good ventilation and would be as good as an Antec if not better.

PSU, you cannot compromise on because its electronics and there are lot more risks involved, But for the cabby, as long as it has sufficient ventilation, fan space for you, you can compromise.

If it were my choice, I would rather go for better PSU, RAM,GPU or WC Kit than spend a premium on a costly cabby when an alternative cabby dosn't do far worse and comes at a fraction of the cost. Others might disagree, but Its just my own opinion. :)

Vandal said:
Suggest XFX as the value option over Ldtk
OMG !! What is the world coming to ?? NExt will Bush go and hug Hugo Chavez ?? :rofl: :rofl: Vandy is actually suggesting that someone go for XFX !!! Boy.... this is a great day indeed :p

Anyway phoenix.....

I sort of agree with Lord Nemesis on the cabinets part. While the Antecs and Coolermasters are amazing cabinets, I dont think the high price is justified.

And I dont think the 7600 GT is a good stop-gap arrangement.

Go for the 7900 GT...will serve you better. And well, you dont seem to be in a cash crunch situation :eek:hyeah: I think you can afford a 7900 GT.

^^ Oh no!! I am not that rich( not even clsoe!).So there are limits to my spending:D:D

Anyway,i will go for either a 7900gs or 7900gt.I agree with lord Nemesis that it will be a while before dx10 cards become affordable and also the current gen cards are relatively cheap.Also i can't go with either a home theater or a 5.1 system for my neighbours will kill me.Now i too would like to go for ddr2 800 ram but they cost around 25k!!! Maybe i would wait till next year end for the prices to fall before i get one of those ddr2 800. Also going for the best PSU available right now doesn't doesn't make much sense for Dx10 cards will need a lot more power.there are rumours that dx10 cards will need upto 1 kilo watt power PSU. So i will go with Antec NeoHE 500. I guess it will be enough for my 7900gt,E6600,my two hard drives and my two monitors.

I think i will go for Chieftec-BH02-B-B-B-Cabinet unless anybody in here can suggest a better option for under 5k(at the most 6k).Anybody??

lord_nemesis said:
Anyway even on a 20" you can still use lower resolutions stretched to full screen or using even use only the required number of pixels to display in the corret format. for example if if you want a resolution like 1024 x 768, it can either be stretched to fullscreen or you can make it display the image using only 1024 x 768 pixels on the screen.There are options in the display settings to select how to display non native resolutions. so you are safe with a 20" even without a backup 15".

But the problem here is lcd's don't look good at resolutions other than native resolutions.So even if there are options in the settings to display non native resolutions,they would look kinda washed out at non-native resolutions right???

lord_nemesis said:
Most midrage to high end Graphics cards including 7600GT, 7900GS, 7900GT support two monitors. so you can keep both Monitors connected, use both of them at the same time or switch from one to another through the display settings. :)

Are you absoultely sure about this???Suppose both of my monitors are connected to my PC.And say,for eg.,i can't play a game on my 20" lcd (lack of sufficient graphics power).So in such a case can i switch from my 20" lcd to my current 15 inch crt( by fiddling with the display settings) and play that game??? Is it possible???

Also how great is the possiblity that dead pixels will appear on the monitor after a while of use??? And how is the viewsonic 2025 when it comes to ghosting/blurring or backlight bleeding ??

phoenix007 said:
But the problem here is lcd's don't look good at resolutions other than native resolutions.So even if there are options in the settings to display non native resolutions,they would look kinda washed out at non-native resolutions right???

The desktop might look a bit wierd when stretched out to full sceen from a 4:3 resolution. For the games, I did not feel the stretching to be too bad either. FPS were great and the RTS, RPG games looked a bit stretched out.
But You also have the option of not stretching the image and just display the native resoultion with black areas on the side. In this case it will become just like a 17" 4:3 LCD with 1280 x 1024 res.
phoenix007 said:
Are you absoultely sure about this???Suppose both of my monitors are connected to my PC.And say,for eg.,i can't play a game on my 20" lcd (lack of sufficient graphics power).So in such a case can i switch from my 20" lcd to my current 15 inch crt( by fiddling with the display settings) and play that game??? Is it possible???

yep, you can switch from one monitor to another by just setting the active monitor in the display settings.

phoenix007 said:
Also how great is the possiblity that dead pixels will appear on the monitor after a while of use??? And how is the viewsonic 2025 when it comes to ghosting/blurring or backlight bleeding ??

That is totally Impossible thing to predict. But the LCD's have become far more reliable than before. Also the pixel 20" is a wee bit smaller than that of a 19" LCD and will not show as bad as on a 19" if one or two pixles go dead.

I sense that you are a bit uncomfortable about getting an LCD. Just have a look at the size of a 19" CRT somewhere and then go to a showroom and see the Viewsonic 2025WM. You will automatically go for the LCD :bleh:

lord_nemesis said:
But You also have the option of not stretching the image and just display the native resoultion with black areas on the side. In this case it will become just like a 17" 4:3 LCD with 1280 x 1024 res.

You have the dell2007.Do you know whether this is possible in viewsonic 2025???

The option is available in nVidia drivers too and should be available in ATi drivers too. So in case the monitor doesnt support it, the card itself can do that task. Dell just has that mechanism inside the monitor too. Maybe people having the Viewsonic can comment on it. :)

Back