PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Since many have bought it i thought this would be appropriate time to discuss the functionality and if any issues people are having.

I have installed Arch linux on Pogoplug Pro also apps Transmission,Deluge, Samba ,Web Server,Web min,Mini DLNA.Only thing which I'm not able to figure out is pyload I need to do it manually but due to time constraints i could not get chance to get it installed , unless Varkey beats me (which i think he will) I'll install pyload on weekend too and probably write a guide to install all require apps(This time I'll write a script so that no manual intervention so less chances of errors.) So you just run the script and relax.

How to assign static IP to your Pogo

Edit file /etc/rc.conf

Code:
interface=eth0

address=192.168.1.104

netmask=255.255.255.0

gateway=192.168.1.1

Edit /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 8.8.4.4

^ ;) :p

pyLoad installation done. Here are the steps
Code:
pacman -Sy python2 python-pycurl

Create a symbolic link for python to python2
Code:
ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python

Download and extract the pyLoad source package
Code:
wget [url]http://download.pyload.org/pyload-src-v0.4.8.zip[/url]
unzip pyload-src-v0.4.8.zip

Go to the folder in which pyLoad was extracted and run
Code:
python pyLoadCore.py -s
Set the download path and login data etc. When it asks for type of webserver, choose 'threaded'

Now create a file /etc/rc.d/pyLoadCored and add the following
Code:
#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

USER=root
PIDFILE=/home/$USER/.pyload/pyload.pid

case "$1" in
  start)
    stat_busy "Starting pyLoadCore"
    su $USER -c '/usr/bin/pyLoadCore --daemon' &> /dev/null
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      add_daemon pyLoadCored
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Stopping pyLoadCore"
    # killall -w -s 2 /usr/bin/pyLoadCore &> /dev/null
    su $USER -c "kill -15 $(cat $PIDFILE) && rm -f $PIDFILE" &> /dev/null
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      rm_daemon pyLoadCored
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  restart)
    $0 stop
    sleep 3
    $0 start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac
exit 0

Make it executable
Code:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/pyLoadCored

If you extracted the pyload files to /home/pyload then run the following command
Code:
ln -s /home/pyload/pyLoadCore.py /usr/bin/pyLoadCore

After that edit /etc/rc.conf and in the last line which says 'Daemons' append 'pyLoadCored'. Here is mine as an example

Code:
DAEMONS=(set-oxnas-mac !hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond sshd openntpd webmin transmissiond samba pyLoadCored)

^ I think I answered that question already. Yes torrent downloads will work perfectly and doesn't matter whether the PC is ON or OFF or with no PC at all :p

I like when someone puts something in bold :bleh:

@varkey

Can you pass me on the output of rc.conf I had set the timezone to Indian in rc.conf but seems like its not working let me know the whether i need to add DNS server in ntp.conf or not ? may be you can post the output for me.

EDIT:- Whats the load average after running webmin , cherokee and pyload ? I see the second core is not even used in htop not sure whether these apps are coded to utilize the second core or not

^ Here is the relevant part from the rc.conf regarding timezone

Code:
LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"

DAEMON_LOCALE="no"

HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"

[B]TIMEZONE="Asia/Kolkata"[/B]

KEYMAP="us"

CONSOLEFONT=

CONSOLEMAP=

USECOLOR="yes"

And DNS servers should be put in /etc/resolv.conf Just add the following to it.

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 208.67.222.222

You can use your ISP's DNS server if you need. The above are Google DNS and OpenDNS

Thanks, i was adding Indian in TIMEZONE since there was a entry in /etc/TIMEZONE, I'll add Google DNS probably more reliable than MTNL :eek:hyeah:

And did you also enabled swap ? I wanted to create 3 different partitions rootfs , swap and data.

EDIT:- Also just received my router.

dinjo said:
And did you also enabled swap ? I wanted to create 3 different partitions rootfs , swap and data.

Didn't enable swap yet. On my Dockstar and GoFlex Net I have it just like that. a 2 GB partition for the rootfs, 512 MB Swap and the remaining for data.
spawnfreak said:
hey pals, is this installing archlinux etc easy? for a total n00b like me who has only jailbreaked iPhones and PSPs :ashamed:

Well, its pretty much easy. There are guides available for most of the stuff, but you should be ready to learn and adapt. :)

Does the swap is actually being used ? I mean does the memory does gets short ?

EDIT:- Do you have the reconnect script for pyload i dont remember but i guess someone did wrote it.

Pyload is working now

ok so is this substantially better than other standalone btdownloaders in terms of handling multiple torrents, FTP downloads, simultaneous streaming of video's from HDD etc? and what about transfer rates?

My previous experience with these type of devices hasn't been very satisfying..I have used a cheap one from DX and even tried converting my Asus HDP-r3/wl700g (this was 4 yrs back) into a btdownloader but all of them struggle with multiple tasks, the transfer rates hover around ~2 MBps (read) and ~500 KBps (write)...hardly a joy if u have a gigabit network . I believe same is the case with ASUS RT 13 U as well.

If one adds more than 2 torrents its a struggle to even open the webinterface of these devices forget searching or streaming from the attached HDD..its not that it doesnt work but it takes ages for anything to happen...

This one is rated at 700 Mhz (close to the earlier model of sheeva) and also has a larger amt of RAM so just wanted to know if its any improvement over the general sluggishness that i just mentioned above..if not then one is better off purchasing a mini ITX/Atom (i know cost/consumption is more) but its a more practical solution.

^ Yes its much better and never noticed any sluggishness like you mentioned.

I get around 20 MB/s + transfer rates over a Gigabit network. Will easily run multiple torrents etc! :)

^ thats excellent !..can you please do a test with streaming videos, forwarding, rewinding etc while it is downloading a couple of torrents in the background..i might be tempted to buy one of these instead of the D2plug/Acer Revo

PS is that read or write speed?

and how does pogo compare with guruplug?

^ I have been running more than 100 torrents on Asus RT-N13 U B1 with no slowdown , the speeds are not going to be great either on pogoplug or RTN13 if you are on not on GigaBit Network.Just a general consensus of bigger RAM does not mean faster device.

cyberwiz said:
^ thats excellent !..can you please do a test with streaming videos, forwarding, rewinding etc while it is downloading a couple of torrents in the background..i might be tempted to buy one of these instead of the D2plug/Acer Revo

PS is that read or write speed?

and how does pogo compare with guruplug?

I haven't tested in the Pogoplug Pro, but on the Dockstar / GoFlex I've had no problem doing all that. Both Read and Write speeds are around 20 MB/s.

Guruplug has 512 MB RAM and 512 MB NAND storage, has inbuilt wifi, esata port. But same processor.

^ Do you get max speed on pyLoad i tried it fluctuates with going max speed and slowing down , same for you ?

@ varkey,dinjo

Can any one of you guy's write a guide for installing the torrent client on pogo plug, me and many other would find it immensely useful.

and also if you guys have encountered anything else apart from what is specified in the Arch linux installation guys do share it here

dinjo said:
^ Do you get max speed on pyLoad i tried it fluctuates with going max speed and slowing down , same for you ?

Ya its pretty ok. It fluctuates a bit, but if you monitor it using vnstat or something its more stable.
ubergeek said:
@ varkey,dinjo

Can any one of you guy's write a guide for installing the torrent client on pogo plug, me and many other would find it immensely useful.

and also if you guys have encountered anything else apart from what is specified in the Arch linux installation guys do share it here

Transmission installation instructions are already there in the ArchLinuxArm Wiki -- Transmission | Arch Linux ARM

ubergeek said:
@ varkey,dinjo

I need to fully test it on my piece of hardware before i release my script so the script would handle everything which you may need , but arch linux install is something which you have to do by following the guide.

My script would have :-

• Cherokee
  • lighttpd [Running on different port]
  • Transmission(I tried Deluge its not as good compared to transmission)
  • pyLoad
  • Samba
  • Mini DLNA
  • aget
  • webmin
  • vsftp
  • Enable Wifi on Pogo Plug

The script would automatically handle all dependent modules and download them too and will keep on adding the services in daemon so everytime you reboot the services would auto start

But this would take some time I will try this on weekend since i would be free on Saturday.

Oh ok so you are going to create a shell script which if i run will automatically download and install all the necessary apps on my pogo plug

SWEEETTTTT !!!

Back