Camera Point and shoot within 30k

Pocketable is a primary question the OP will have to grapple with.

Pocketable means more use for little less image quality. If reduce zoom from 10x to say 4x then you get an improvement in quality.

eg rx100 over the 10x pocketable zooms

To do better still is to go mirrorless but lose pocketabilty yet have the option of interchangeable lenses.

From what i can tell rx100 is acceptable for those that own a dslr, a mirrorless less so. But if one does not own a dslr then a mirrorless is better than say rx100. mirrorless offers a noticeable improvement over say a flagship camera phone or similar compact.

What will OP be comparing with ? what camera or kind of camera does OP currently own ?
Haha, I own a fuzifilm 8 MP camera which might get outperformed by an I phone I guess.

Zoom is not something I am giving priority to. Should I?
In my opinion 4x optical zoom would be ok for me.

Picture quality is important for me. I would rather go Mirrorless over a point and shoot if it gives you stunning images. But again what I am not clear is what would be the default lens be ideal for if I go for mirrorless?
Would I need to buy multiple lenses for different scenarios? if yes, that's a strict no since lenses are expensive. My budget is 35k for mirrorless.

if you are implying that mirrorless are worse than DSLR then you are wrong. They are as good as DSLR in terms of image quality. They lack at autofocus if you are talking about sports or nature photography.

for example, nothing can beat a sony A7R with a leica noctilux 50mm f/0.95. something that will come close would be a nikon 800 with zeiss otus lens.
Am implying that since you have a DSLR that if you were given a choice between rx100 or similar vs a mirrorless you would choose the rx100 because the portability factor would outweigh the image quality loss.

Otherwise you would just use your dslr. Because you have a dslr a mirrorless does not offer much. Less weight isn't enough of a reason.

Why ?

A zoom offers a lot of flexibity over a fixed lens which has better image quality. 28-105 or anything upto 4x will work great for people photos at the higher end.

Now for some one trying to get better at photos a 50mm forces a change of mindset and concentrates the mind on composition. Is the OP looking at this ? doubt it.

Interchangeable lenses means choice of both.
Yeah, I will go for a zoom lense in case I go the mirrorless route. Prime wouldn't suit my needs as I need a general purpose camera.

Zoom is not something I am giving priority to. Should I?
In my opinion 4x optical zoom would be ok for me.
Am saying if you chose a camera which does not allow lens changes then even a 4x zoom is better than no zoom. people who go with primes in this situation already have other cameras at their disposal. Time was it was always better to go with primes but zooms have improved over the years.

A zoom multiplies framing possibilites, it makes you lazy too :)

Picture quality is important for me. I would rather go Mirrorless over a point and shoot if it gives you stunning images.
You will have to decide whether image quality or portability matters more. If this is a camera that is only for a few occasions and spends the rest of its time in a cupboard then a dslr is the easiest pick. But if you want to use it more often, maybe even every day then portability becomes more important.

I think too much is made of image quality. People use it like a crutch. If you see a photo and the first thing that goes through your mind is WHAT took the shot instead of WHO took it then you need to hold onto your money and learn more.

You say people shots, that means indoors with not so good light. what is image quality at ISO 1600 - 3000. Is it usable.

But again what I am not clear is what would be the default lens be ideal for if I go for mirrorless?
Would I need to buy multiple lenses for different scenarios? if yes, that's a strict no since lenses are expensive. My budget is 35k for mirrorless.
Depends on your use and expectations. Nail your requirements and then adjust your budget. Don't let budget dictate what you can get. Otherwise wait longer until you can afford what you want.

Last edited:
I am not clear is what would be the default lens be ideal for if I go for mirrorless?
a 50mm lens with f stop around 2.8 or less. with mirrorless cameras there is a possiblity to buy old vintage lenses and use them with adapter. but thats a different kind of game though.

for example: I use my sony a7ii with minolta rokkor-x 45mm f2 lens all the time. I bought that lens for 26 dollars over ebay. the quality is many times better than the stock 28-70mm sony lens that I got with the camera(300 dollar lens).

Again... This will work if you are willing to spend time with photography and willing to learn a lot. if you just want to run-and-gun then buy a p&s. buying a dslr/mirrorless with good lenses does not automatically produce great pictures. in fact there is a possibility that you will get bummed.

For 4x zoom and 30k budget the RX100 (MK1 or MK2) are the choices if you are buying in India. All the other enthusiast compacts seem to be overpriced compared to global prices.

For 4x zoom and 30k budget the RX100 (MK1 or MK2) are the choices if you are buying in India. All the other enthusiast compacts seem to be overpriced compared to global prices.
it seems to me the best option at the moment. I was looking at Fuji x20 reviews. it costs 37k and yet has a smaller sensor and a lot of grain in the images at even 1600 iso.

Depends on your use and expectations. Nail your requirements and then adjust your budget. Don't let budget dictate what you can get. Otherwise wait longer until you can afford what you want.
You hit the nail here. The budget dictates what I get. I will be buying a cam nevertheless as I don't have a good one at the moment. Maybe I will get a DSLR/mirrorless in the future if I get a P&S at the moment but I certainly won't be getting them just because I can afford them. I have a certain standard of image quality in my mind and if I get that with a phone, I would be happy with that.[DOUBLEPOST=1422318336][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think too much is made of image quality. People use it like a crutch. If you see a photo and the first thing that goes through your mind is WHAT took the shot instead of WHO took it then you need to hold onto your money and learn more.
My criteria is, if the camera is being used by a person who knows his stuff, then how good the image is.

Is it safe to buy Sony Rx100 from ebay.in? Priced at 25k approx. Listing here.
Should I check anything with seller before buying? I am thinking of going with Rx100.

dont buy from any ebay seller with less than 99% feedback. check for sellers who provide "factory sealed" and "manufacturer warranty" and not "dealer warranty"

though this sellers conditions look good; his feedback score is very less. also look for sellers who have feedback score of few thousands.

Sorry to jump into this thread but I have kind of similar requirements.
I was confused between rx100 mark 1 vs mark 2.

1. Which has wifi to share pics with iPhone ?
2. Which camera has better video recording quality ? Any one of them has slow motion video?

Sorry to jump into this thread but I have kind of similar requirements.
I was confused between rx100 mark 1 vs mark 2.

1. Which has wifi to share pics with iPhone ?
2. Which camera has better video recording quality ? Any one of them has slow motion video?

M2 has nfc wifi tiltable screen. Apart from that everything is same. Video is 60 fps 1080p for both.

Back