Post your game rants here!

Activision the company behind COD is a big son of bit**

Using there multi million dollar power they shut down a project by a bunch of kids, who put there hardwork, money into making the COD titles affordable to those who can't buy them

They were who kept the MW2 alive for so long, after two years of release, it was just addictive because they made some awesome changes to the stock MW2

I would always think why people hate Activison so much, what if they make so much money

Now I realised it, and I am not gonna buy the next COD title, it will be same as the one before

Many of you will not have a clue about what I am talking, but if you hate COD, then you are right

care to explain what this means, "[font=arial, sans-serif]they shut down a project by a bunch of kids, who put there hardwork, money into making the COD titles affordable to those who can't buy them" [/font]

Understanding you is tough, but i think you mean that you're not gonna buy any of the COD games anymore as all of them are nearly identical. Right?

Understanding you is tough, but i think you mean that you're not gonna buy any of the COD games anymore as all of them are nearly identical. Right?

I think he is ranting about the non-activision servers used to play COD, for the people who get the pirated copies.

#allrounder799

If you can't buy it, don't play it. If you get a pirated copy, be happy that you got it and live with what you have before starting a rant.

Activision has the right to protect its assets.

care to explain what this means, "[font=arial, sans-serif]they shut down a project by a bunch of kids, who put there hardwork, money into making the COD titles affordable to those who can't buy them" [/font]

AlterIWnet was a modding project which was done by a group. they were situated somewhere in Denmark(not actually known), but what they did(modding the game) its was legal by dutch law which also considers torrents legal

By modding I mean, adding dedicated server support, custom gun textures, new game mods

They were so skilled they even made new maps from the MW2 single player campaign to keep the game fresh

yep to some extent

I think he is ranting about the non-activision servers used to play COD, for the people who get the pirated copies.

#allrounder799

If you can't buy it, don't play it. If you get a pirated copy, be happy that you got it and live with what you have before starting a rant.

Activision has the right to protect its assets.

AlterIWnet was not a "pirated copy" of MW2, it was a better MW2 multiplayer game built up from scratch to improve over the stock MW2

Also it was completely legal by dutch law

It was never about pirating or not being able to afford the game, it about the hard work these guys put in making the MW2 work

It was so popular that the activision servers were most of the time empty and people prefered the AIW

They also bulit up Blackops, and MW3 but there where they went to far

Is it fair to give activision some money for a game when you can a better version for free, talk about "protecting their assets"

And they also built for kids who just couldn't afford spending $60 on a game

I guess it was a good move I moved over to BF3

I know what you are talking about now.

It's like creating custom maps for a game. Dota is a famous example of how an individual can take a small game and blow it out of proportion. Icefrog single handedly creates custom maps for dota through a warcraft world editor. Blizzard is happy with it since it took a dimunitive game to epic heights.

Same happened with MW2 but Activision doesn't like it. Unfortunate but that's the truth. Having said that they should have left MW2 alone which is comparatively a pretty old title and sure not a cash cow for them now. But in the end they are the rightful owners. sigh!

Another piracy debate ensues!

#Sarath_ and #Aman27deep, I think that is what OP intends to highlight, this is not a piracy argument, it is how the companies have shifted from the established path of MOD Community, the games are such cash cows these days and releases so rapid [CoD releases a new edition every year -- year and a half] that it is impossible for the company to focus on individual iterations for more than a specified time period [say ~6 months, after which drumming up the hype for the next game begins].

Also to put it in brutal simple terms, AcTivison is killing its own community, I generally try to acquire original games as far as possible, but the exorbitant prices demanded by CoD titles on release is a joke, a six hour SP campaign [with no new gameplay innovations, more OR less the same engine recycled since Modern Warfare days], I mean ~2999/- for CoD: MW3, I rather buy Skyrim and add a bunch of MODs to it. I did not buy a single CoD game after CoD II.

MODDING communities make the game evergreen, improve graphics and bring in new elements of gameplay which the studio cannot do in a high stakes environment where a single slip up means the focus is immediately shifted from the positives to the negatives.

Games which have made a name for their MOD communities --

The Elder Scrolls series [especially Oblivion and Skyrim],

DOTA,

Total War [I am a big fan even though I played only the first few MODs released for Rome: Total War],

GTA.

In a sense, an active MOD community is a barometer for how successful a game is and how versatile its engine is.

These are my personal views, hope haven't hurt anyone's feelings / ego / pride. Cheers!!

i stopped purchasing COD when they stopped releasing it here in India and we dont have a server here. The closest is in Japan and i dont care COD anymore..

I am a BF fan now though EA release the buggiest products ever - remember a half baked BF BC2?? though BF3 was way better when compared.

I hate...

Rockstar >_> for either releasing horrible PC ports (GTA4) or not releasing titles on PC at all (RDR).

Activision >_> for ignoring CoD single player and making it shorter. For buying Blizzard and making them sell one Starcraft game as three (this may be my blind rage talking if it isn't true).

Ubisoft >_> for their draconic DRM and general anti-PC stance.

EA >_> for buying Bioware and day-1 expansion packs (that's DLC to you youngsters). Also reducing BF3 single player campaign to crap.

Crytek >_> for destroying the poster child franchise of PC gaming by releasing Crysis 2.

and finally Microsoft >_> for doing their best to kill PC gaming (no GeoW) and push people towards the Xbox.

There aren't enough non-ported single player PC games being released
<

@ALPHA17: FInally somebody gets the point

Activison killed its own community for MW2

Initially I also mistook AlterIWnet as a pirated version of MW2, and even praised activison for making such awesome game, but then realised that it was work of these guys, and after MW3 released I became sure activison was not in mood to bring something new to table, but to cash on hype

Alpha also pointed out correctly that 2999 for a game is very pricey when we can get game such as BF3 for half the price

I know what you are talking about now.

It's like creating custom maps for a game. Dota is a famous example of how an individual can take a small game and blow it out of proportion. Icefrog single handedly creates custom maps for dota through a warcraft world editor. Blizzard is happy with it since it took a dimunitive game to epic heights.

Same happened with MW2 but Activision doesn't like it. Unfortunate but that's the truth. Having said that they should have left MW2 alone which is comparatively a pretty old title and sure not a cash cow for them now. But in the end they are the rightful owners. sigh!

Another piracy debate ensues!

The reason that ALterIW was shut down is that they also started modding MW3, which I think was too soon to be done, and actvision thought I would hurt there profits

#[font=arial, sans-serif]ALPHA17 thanks, make more sense now. Even I am witnessing a worrying trend of games becoming shorter and should i say suckier(?)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I pre-ordered NFS the run and was shocked to find the game end in one sitting of a few hours. That was a 3k game. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I haven't played CoD much since I know it's campaigns are short. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]MW3 for 3k ! I will pass. [/font]

#[font=arial, sans-serif]ALPHA17 thanks, make more sense now. Even I am witnessing a worrying trend of games becoming shorter and should i say suckier(?)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I pre-ordered NFS the run and was shocked to find the game end in one sitting of a few hours. That was a 3k game. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I haven't played CoD much since I know it's campaigns are short. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]MW3 for 3k ! I will pass. [/font]

Lot of companies are following the AcTivision model now, games released on a yearly basis with little OR no improvements in the graphics and gameplay department, superficial elements are introduced for variety [remember Tower defence in Assassin's Creed Revelation], kills hopes of Indie games [that make similar games] and further damages the genre / company image itself in the long run.

There are plenty of reasons [Piracy is a major one] for the publisher to go completely nuts on his franchise but to counter this there are various developers whoo have proven that MODDING is Good -->>

Total War Studios: Publisher --> SEGA -- very active MOD community, best modders do an edition called the Darth MOD that brings a variety of improvements in the game, which can define the MOD as an individual product with better visual quality, detailing and accuracy than the original game itself.

Bethesda Studios: Publisher --> Bethesda Softworks -- the MOD community have redefined the last two games released, Oblivion and Skyrim, taken them to new heights made them look prettier and expanded on the games lore itself.

Valve: Publisher --> Valve / STEAM Works -- Counter Strike was a MOD for Half Life look where it has reached 14 years down the line.

CoD is a shadow of its former self, nobody will miss it, if the franchise folds house today and never returns.

I was shocked to learn alterIWnet is shut down. I actually learned about the project when I ended up buying MW2 for $5 off steam and was frustrated beyond words when I had to sit in matchmaking. I know alterIW was close to being considered as piracy but it was a much superior online experience than the stock format.

I was shocked to learn alterIWnet is shut down. I actually learned about the project when I ended up buying MW2 for $5 off steam and was frustrated beyond words when I had to sit in matchmaking. I know alterIW was close to being considered as piracy but it was a much superior online experience than the stock format.

I have to again sit in matchmaking when I shift to MW3, I hate it

Back