Powerline Ethernet: Is anyone using it ?

raksrules

Elite
Out of curiosity, I want to know if anyone here is using Powerline Ethernet in their homes. If yes then how well it is working in terms of speed. Are those usually sold in pairs as in, one node placed near the router which connects via an Ethernet cable to the powerline adapter and the next node in some other room which also uses a Ethernet cable directly to a device ?
Can a Powerline Ethernet adapter be used to setup another router in another room so I have 2 SSIDs in same home with different routers ?

Network.jpg
I'm currently using TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT, the speed depends on the unit, I'm using the cheapest one so it is limited for 200Mbps. Yes most of them are sold in pairs and you need both, single units are used by someone who wants to increase the network.

I have a DSL router connected to one of these and then plugged into the power supply and another one connected to the power supply and that is connected to a switch
TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch

Yes I think you could connect it to another router as well

Last edited:
I have a devolo d-premier kit sitting in the attic. It doesn't work too well for Indian power connections. WiFi off a high quality ac router is much faster.

Out of curiosity, I want to know if anyone here is using Powerline Ethernet in their homes. If yes then how well it is working in terms of speed. Are those usually sold in pairs as in, one node placed near the router which connects via an Ethernet cable to the powerline adapter and the next node in some other room which also uses a Ethernet cable directly to a device ?
Can a Powerline Ethernet adapter be used to setup another router in another room so I have 2 SSIDs in same home with different routers ?

Have one sitting in my home. Its not being used now, since my main server is offline.

Its ok, the max speed i got is around 100mbps. However, apparently the quality of wiring in my house is bad, so I get about 30 mbps.

The devices need to be in pairs at the very least. You can add additional powerline adaptors. The device creates a secure connection between the adaptors.

Yes, one node placed near router, and another in other room via LAN. You can connect an AP to that.

Multiple routers - yes you can do this. But rather, get a load balancing router like the tp link 470 or make one with open wrt and then put the wireless ap behind it.

Back