Car & Bike Pre-owned Diesel Hatchback within 4 lacs

mithun

Adept
Hello friends,
As the title suggests, I am looking to buy a pre owned diesel hatchback in 4 lac rupees, can extend by 20k max if it is worthy deal. Looking for opinions regarding which cars are the safest buy from the used car market.
This car will replace a 60k run 2010 Chevy Beat petrol, which has provided a fuss free ownership and has proved to be a very reliable vehicle. The Beat will now be sparingly used and the new car will do ~ 1500 kms/month in the city.
Need a car that is very fuel efficient, very reliable and easy to drive in the city.

Thanks.

Glad to hear that the Beat has served you in good stead.

As for the diesel conundrum, In this budget, the first thing i would have recommended for that sort of monthly runnin is the Beat. But I believe you would not want to own 2 Beats at home.
The most obvious choice would be the Swift with a diesel heart. Given that the refresh is just around the corner, you can bargain more about the resale price of old gen swifts and get a
better deal.

My 2nd option would be a Micra. Really peppy motor and throttle response is lovely for this car, You can also consider the Figo though as its Titanium variant may bring you more bells and whistles which can come under your budget.

You do have a wide range of choices and would be keeping an eye on what you go for.

Happy buying.

Good Swift D's would be hard to find especially diesel as they are the most sought after cars by the second hand buyers. Also expect a lot of meter tampering if going the dealer route. Though keep an eye on OLX meet the seller in person.

I would suggest to go in for something with a similar engine as in a FIAT Punto.

Good Swift D's would be hard to find especially diesel as they are the most sought after cars by the second hand buyers. Also expect a lot of meter tampering if going the dealer route. Though keep an eye on OLX meet the seller in person.

I would suggest to go in for something with a similar engine as in a FIAT Punto.

^ This!
Have been searching olx lately and I am kind of fixed on 2 2010 Puntos( Active and Emotion PK) priced south of INR 3 lacs.
Two things holding me back :
1. FIAT A.S.S. Especially availability of spares. This car cannot be stranded at service centres.
2. Reported 12-13 kmpl city mileage.

Honestly I would not suggest you get your hands on any Diesel preowned cars under 5 Lacs... they will require constant upkeeping & trips to the service centers. I would suggest either a petrol only variant of Wagon R or CNG Variant of Wagon R. That should help you with the increasing cost of petrol and will be recent enough like 2011 / early 2012 models.

Also when mentions distance travelling per month, it would be great if you could mention whether its City travelling only or Highway Travelling etc. I will not suggest the CNG model for highway only travelling.

The additional mileage that you get from a diesel engine is unlikely make up for the cost of the diesel car that you have to buy.

For 1500km a month, it doesn't make sense to change your car at all. You are basically throwing money here. The cost of the car plus cost of service would be way more than the amount you save on diesel.

Unless you must have a larger car, swapping to a diesel hatch again makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. My take on the above comments :
1. Doesn't matter if the Punto is discontinued. Will keep it for 2-3 years maximum. The news article posted is FIAT's plan for Europe anyways. The 500 does not seem to be a viable replacement for Punto in India either.
2. For 5 lacs I can get a new Diesel Beat/Figo OTR Kolkata this December with all the discounts raining. CNG is not an option here. Despise the Wagon R anyways.
3. Need a second car at home. So cutting fuel costs is not the sole purpose here. Sorry for missing to mention that.
4. Want to move on to a car a segment above. The Beat needs some much deserved rest. Plan to keep the Beat like forever!
5. Yes, nothing more reliable than them Toyotas and Hondas. Will not touch a Liva with a barge poll.

Looking very hard at a 35k run 2010 Punto Dynamic! Already inspected twice. The owner is a sober elderly gentleman. Car seems to have been well maintained. Self driven. Friendly garage says he can handle FIATs. Price negotiations are in progress.

Back