CPU/Mobo Press power button atleast 3-5 times, to start PC.

Futureized

Adept
Feb 11, 2013
Mumbai
www.wikipedia.org
Some strange problem for past few weeks, I have to press the power button atleast 3-5 times while turning on PC everyday in morning.
Is there anything wrong, I should fix before hand ?

TY.

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
Same here. I tried to clean cabinet switch. Still no good.
At times i have to press it for 2-3 sec in order to turn it on.

girish925

Adept
Jan 3, 2008
why dont you use the reset button as a power switch just swap the cables inside the mobo :)

Reactions: panther

atiamd

Adept
Aug 20, 2009
Juicy Way
Thats probably a failing PSU. In my other PC, I have a dead corsair 750TX. For many months, I had to press the power button like 5 6 times to start it. One day, the PC refused to start. Turned out my PSU was dead. Just letting it out here. Its a possibility.

Reactions: Emperor

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
Thats probably a failing PSU. In my other PC, I have a dead corsair 750TX. For many months, I had to press the power button like 5 6 times to start it. One day, the PC refused to start. Turned out my PSU was dead. Just letting it out here. Its a possibility.
Hmm. Two weeks ago my Asus mobo detected surges and shutdown. I cleaned up the psu fan and cabinet filter ( had dust built up) and it's fine since then.

Futureized

Adept
Feb 11, 2013
Mumbai
www.wikipedia.org
Thanks for suggestions, my PC is just 1 feet away from big window, and dust is most common thing getting accumalated all over, just within a week too.

@atiamd This is 2nd or 3rd PSU in the same UNIT. SINCE LAST 3-4 years.
Any suggestions to check health of PSU ?

or dust can be one of reasons ?

atiamd

Adept
Aug 20, 2009
Juicy Way
Which psu do you have? And I hope you don't cover your tower with anything to save it from dust?

Futureized

Adept
Feb 11, 2013
Mumbai
www.wikipedia.org
Which psu do you have? And I hope you don't cover your tower with anything to save it from dust?
Its Antec 750W PSU.
Check attached screenshots for dust accumalated inside/outside PC,
I dont cover my tower with anything, infact the door on wall side is kept open.

Attachments

technofast

Adept
Aug 26, 2011
Chennai
Any other way to remove dust apart from those 2 options ? @technofast
Hair dryer will work ?
Hair dryer will be too hot and may damage the components. The amount of dust there, it requires a blower or compressed air. You can also use the blower in vacum cleaner in short burst to clear the dust and later use isopropyl alcohol to wipe out the dirt.

atiamd

Adept
Aug 20, 2009
Juicy Way
Okay.... You got some cleaning to do. And then figure out how not to accumulate this much dust again. Use that blower every 3 days