PC Peripherals Problem replacing UPS battery

guys, i'm having Microtek Heritage UPS, It stopped giving me backup few months back, so i tried to open it and disconnected the battery.. in the process, i also disconnected 2 Red wires which were connected using nut and bolts on the circuit,

now today i bought a new battery for the UPS, but i've forgot about the red wires and in which of the holes were they connected.. i tried different holes but it's not behaving normal and i don't wanna put my house on fire so if anyone is having the same UPS or who recently replaced his battery can help me with this.. I'm attaching pics, if they can be of help..

[attachment=6847:12474.attach]

in the pics, there are 3 silver structures and i have connected 2 red wires onto 2 of those but i'm not sure if they are connected properly, the silver bars themselves have 1-2 vacant holes to connect the wires, so please help me.. :(

Attachments

• 05122010005.jpg
    05122010005.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 05122010006.jpg
    05122010006.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 94
hi,

the red wires are going to step up transformer as long as I know they doesn't carry any polarity.

you need to put the negative wire on black terminal of the battery and red wire to the positive terminal it should be painted in red on the battery.

and also check the 40amps fuse.and if you cant find the fault then just go to a local repairshop they will do it for you.

the fuse's blow if you have connected the battery in reverse. also the power switch on battery should be in off position while connecting th battery to avoid those beeps you are hearing.

hope this helps.

i know the connection to the battery but the red wires are the problem.. thnx for replying, it seems i'd have to go to the repair shop..

^ +1, Microtech provides on-site warranty. even if its out of warranty, call them using the serial no. of a MT product thats in warranty.

they are professionals for a reason.

I would not recommend taking the UPS to a local store. CALL MT!

I still have the same microtek heritage UPS unused. I opened it up. So here we go.

(Place your UPS upright. From one end of the transformer you will find (From left) Red, Black, Red wires)

First heat sink from left in your photo, just below the heat sink you can find Q1 and Q2. Connect one of the red cables from the transformer there. (First red wire from left should be connected here)

Second heat sink from left in your photo, Just below that you can find Q3 and Q4, connect the other red cable from the transformer to it.(Second red wire should be connected here)

Now you will have another red cable from the circuit board just besides the 40 amps which will have to be connected to battery + ve terminal

Hope this helps... i wonder how these guys did not change the design of the circuit board for almost 5 yrs now....

@kishore, thanks for your help and posting here.. though i called them and the guy came today, as i expected i've blown the board, he soldered it and now it's working again but he warned me that it's charging very fast and asked me to not keep it on for charging..

in the end, instead of 250bucks as their visitation charges, he offered me some arrangement and i paid him 100bucks privately, he wrote on his job-sheet: other company UPS..

PS: the Microtek guy told me that they replace the battery for just Rs. 550/- including installation so instead of replacing the battery ourselves and taking the risk, just call them. I bought the battery for 600bucks, plus 100bucks for servicing and now my UPS is incorrectly working. :p

thats bad... but the microtek battery will not provide you life. They install OKAYA batteries which is of no use. It conked off in just about 1 yr. I bought Gaston Battery in May 2007 and you wont believe that its still working even now, though i rarely charge the battery once in six months because i never use this UPS.

If your UPS is still underwarranty raise a complaint and ask them to replace the board next time.

All the best

Back