CPU/Mobo Problem(s) with IP35-E

hkanitkar

Disciple
I am using Abit IP35-E along with Q6600, 4 sticks of 1 gig corsair valueselects, 200+320+500 gigs of hdd, Sony G170S, XFX 8600GT and a CM extremepower 600W psu.
No oc. No bios updates. Windows XP pro + SP2 fresh installed.

First problem i face is at boot-up. The screen with huge Abit logo shows up and pc remains stuck there. I have to restart the damn thing by cutting power. There is no regularity in this behaviour but it happens most of the times.
What does cause this ? And whats the solution ?

Second problem i face is that pc freezes up in the middle of something for 3-4 seconds and starts working normally after giving me a popup for 'New audio jack inserted'. This freezing up happens a lot of times and i am seriosuly fed up.
Reason ? Solution ?

PS: Darn.. it froze twice while typing this. Also, can someone help me with Bios update steps ?

try disconnecting all usb devices (other than kb/mouse) during bootup...it can be a problem

my biostar tp35d2-a7 doesnt boot if my bluetooth dongle is plugged in....i have to remove it for the comp to boot

hkanitkar said:
First problem i face is at boot-up. The screen with huge Abit logo shows up and pc remains stuck there. I have to restart the damn thing by cutting power. There is no regularity in this behaviour but it happens most of the times.

does this happen only during a cold boot?

Is this a new rig? If so, then my suspicion would be towards the PSU.

Try connecting your rig to a different PSU than your CM extremepower 600W, and see if the issues still persist

_pappu_ said:
try disconnecting all usb devices (other than kb/mouse) during bootup...it can be a problem
my biostar tp35d2-a7 doesnt boot if my bluetooth dongle is plugged in....i have to remove it for the comp to boot

dats rite...try it out...
my friend had a similar prob...his printer cable was faulty
comp used to start only if usb was disabled frm bios or the cable was removed...

@stellarhopper - most of the times it is during a cold boot

@gryphon - my 965WH ran perfectly with all other goodies on the same PSU - i dont think its the PSU

@Punjab234 - thanks for the links buddy ! Will update the drivers today.

I had the same problem

Its because of one of your usb connections at the back. Remove them all and you wont find this problem. At some points you have to connect the other peripherals so go for a trial and error method by testing them one by one and finding the faulty one. Thats what i did. There was something wrong with the usb wire that came with my HP printer. I changed it and never used that port and its been working fine since.

The freezing part sounds like a psu problem

Update :

Ok. The problem with cold starts freezing on the 'Abit' screen is due to the USB ports at the rear. With no wire plugged in, my pc starts up just fine.

Problem No. 2 : PC freezing up in the middle of nothin, and popping-up the 'New jack inserted' dialog box - somehow even this has been sorted out half way - the popup doesnt show up now and frequency of freezing has gone down - to almost once in 2 Hrs. No idea why it happened/ happens and how it was rectified the half way.

And now, one of my stupid doubts. I checked up in the properties tab for'My Computer' twice or thrice today - and somehow it shows the Q6600 to work at 1.8 GHz only. Why is that so, when i am not using any power-saver settings. And if there are any settings applied by default - how should i change them ??

Is it because my PSU ( coolerMaster 600W ) seems to be in-adequate ( as per calculation provided in some post on this forum, it comes to 500W ) ??

1. k
2. Update windows, and use latest Realtek drivers
3. Its called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology), when PC idles it lower CPU Core Voltage, and reduce multiplier, default r 9X266 = 2.40GHz for Q6600, dunno it drops to 6 or 7, U can find by seeing clock speed. EIST allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production, and reduce noise generated by variable-speed fans.

For more - See search google

If U dont want this then go in BIOS -> Advanced Option -> CPU Options -> Disable EIST, CPU Thermal Control and C1E.

No issue with SMPS.

hkanitkar said:
Update :
Ok. The problem with cold starts freezing on the 'Abit' screen is due to the USB ports at the rear. With no wire plugged in, my pc starts up just fine.

Problem No. 2 : PC freezing up in the middle of nothin, and popping-up the 'New jack inserted' dialog box - somehow even this has been sorted out half way - the popup doesnt show up now and frequency of freezing has gone down - to almost once in 2 Hrs. No idea why it happened/ happens and how it was rectified the half way.

And now, one of my stupid doubts. I checked up in the properties tab for'My Computer' twice or thrice today - and somehow it shows the Q6600 to work at 1.8 GHz only. Why is that so, when i am not using any power-saver settings. And if there are any settings applied by default - how should i change them ??

Is it because my PSU ( coolerMaster 600W ) seems to be in-adequate ( as per calculation provided in some post on this forum, it comes to 500W ) ??

Thanks for the topic even i faced same problem was just about to post same.....i was thinking ram to be culprit.....so its usb

Back