Graphic Cards Problem with Graphics card or PSU?

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
Intel Core i7 860,
DFI P55 t3eh9
Sapphire RX570,
16 GB DDR3
Corsair CX430
Computer connected to Monitor via DP to HDMI cable
Computer was running fine and I was playing PUBG PC lite. Suddenly display goes black with "no signal" message on monitor. I hard reset and display comes back up. Happens again during game play. So I download Unigen Heaven benchmark and run it. Happens after 3rd or 4th Scene. I then boot to Mac OS and run unigen heaven benchmark. Same problem. At this point I thing either the GPU is dying or PSU dying.
Your thoughts?

Intel Core i7 860,
DFI P55 t3eh9
Sapphire RX570,
16 GB DDR3
Corsair CX430
Computer connected to Monitor via DP to HDMI cable
Computer was running fine and I was playing PUBG PC lite. Suddenly display goes black with "no signal" message on monitor. I hard reset and display comes back up. Happens again during game play. So I download Unigen Heaven benchmark and run it. Happens after 3rd or 4th Scene. I then boot to Mac OS and run unigen heaven benchmark. Same problem. At this point I thing either the GPU is dying or PSU dying.
Your thoughts?

check temperature of card while gaming / stress test

check temperature of card while gaming / stress test
+1, enable radeon overlay (Ctrl + Shift + O) and ypou can see the GPU temp on the screen. Keep monitoring it to the point where PC crashes.

I saw 71 Deg C before the display lost signal on Unigen Heaven
Post automatically merged:

Did the PC shut down? Or only display? You could try replacing thermal paste on the GPU.
The PC did not restart. I had teamviewer running to see if the computer responds when the signal is lost. But teamviewer also started reconnecting. This leads me to believe that computer had stopped responding.

It could very well be the PSU, 71 degree isn't very high.

I saw similar behaviour on my old PC, when the UPS was not able to deliver enough power. It worked fine while doing normal work, but lost display when running games.

I don't have a spare GPU. I am planning to test this GPU in another system and running benchmark. This will help diagnose if it is the GPU or PSU
Post automatically merged:

So in an interesting turn of events, I decided to change the PCIE slot to rule out a faulty PCIE slot. GPU worked perfectly in the second slot. Again put the GPU in the first PCIE slot and now it is working perfectly in that slot too. The GPU was not loose or anything in the first place! Wonder what is happening. I will just have to keep it under observation.

Last edited:
So in an interesting turn of events, I decided to change the PCIE slot to rule out a faulty PCIE slot. GPU worked perfectly in the second slot. Again put the GPU in the first PCIE slot and now it is working perfectly in that slot too. The GPU was not loose or anything in the first place! Wonder what is happening. I will just have to keep it under observation.
Sometimes even components need a temporary change and I can vouch on this as every time I clean my entire rig while dissembling everything, my rams refuse to work on their earlier slots and only after few shuffles they start to work again...

I too face same issue with system when Install MSI Radeon GPU.

Before installing GPU all was OK for whole 1 week, but after installing GPU, with light games no issue but with some heavy work (stress on CPU) it keep restart.

Will remove GPU and check after some days, if restart issue still there.

Though entirely sufficient for your overall power reqs, that is an aging PSU, i reckon its not able to match the radeon's power draw for games sufficiently. Either way have a close watch on that unit.

Though entirely sufficient for your overall power reqs, that is an aging PSU, i reckon its not able to match the radeon's power draw for games sufficiently. Either way have a close watch on that unit.
Although the PSU is old, it used to drive a Intel G620 and that PC also was a backup PC so remained off most of the times. So the PSU is pretty fresh in terms of usage. But you are right. I need to keep a close eye.

Just remove PSU/SMPS and clean it good Blower (you may used compress air of any tire puncture shop If you don't have ) in the past one of my antec 850 smps was not providing more than 400W .

Bit of an update. The Problem returned. So logically I gave my GPU to a friend and asked him to test it out for me in his system. He ran unigen heaven for 1 hour and played PUBG PC for an hour without any problems. So, it was almost certain that the PSU was faulty. Since I did not have a spare PSU lying around, I ordered myself a CX650 Modular power supply. Connected the new power supply to my PC and....nothing! I took everything out of the case, reconnected the new PSU but PC fans would start for a second and stop. So I am guessing I got a faulty PSU from Corsair. I have claimed a replacement.

Here is another twist! I connected the old CX430 which I was suspecting faulty and the PC runs fine on a cardboard box. I put back everything in the case and connected everything and started the PC and apart from a random restart on first boot, the PC seems to be working fine.

I am really lost here. Don't know what is not working. I am afraid to close the case back up.

Only real outcome from this whole ordeal till now is that the Graphics card is definitely not the problem since I have tested in another system

The cabinets reset button can be at fault. Try without connecting it to your mobo front header pin.
I am inclined that it is not since if the system was getting a reset, it would reboot, MOBO postcodes would change. But it is not happening. When it happens, monitor loses Signal, all fans keep running, I can see hard disk activity light blinking

Did you try reading the error code in windows event viewer? It might have some information related to this which could point you in the right direction. Since GPU issue has been ruled out the other most common cause of issues is usually the PSU gone kaput. Replacing that with the new unit should fix the issue.

As for everything working fine in cardboard box, it could be that some wires are getting stretched or the PSU temperatures are high in the case which could be the issue.

Did you try reading the error code in windows event viewer? It might have some information related to this which could point you in the right direction. Since GPU issue has been ruled out the other most common cause of issues is usually the PSU gone kaput. Replacing that with the new unit should fix the issue.

As for everything working fine in cardboard box, it could be that some wires are getting stretched or the PSU temperatures are high in the case which could be the issue
Windows event viewer only registers the restart. No critical events are recorded before that. I tried to get to the root of the problem by ordering a new corsair CX650 M but even that arrived DOA. Any I exported a 5 hour video over a period of 8 hours and the computer was able to export it no problems. So not sure what is happening.

Back