Linux Problem with torrent clients

6pack

ex-Mod
So I'm searching for a good torrent client in Linux.

I was using transmission daemon previously and there is a major bug in it which the developers don't know how to solve. They just delete the tickets saying it's not an issue. The bug is that the new versions of t-d don't talk properly to udp trackers and always give back tracker failed messages.

So, I turned to Deluge. It has drawback where it does not show all the trackers status in a single page. It only shows the first tracker. Also I hate it's UI. It's too old.

Next I saw qBittorrent. It looks & works well like uTorrent (not really). There is a bug in this where it does not rename the torrent folder properly. It just makes a new folder inside the original folder. Does not even rename the new folder completely. It just puts the new part of the name on it and calls it a day. Another big drawback I saw was, it does not upload properly. It uploads at just half the upload speed I set in the UI. I don't like such leecher clients so I uninstalled it.

So I'm searching for a low footage client that has these features:
- friendly gui and can be controlled from web or app
- connects to udp trackers.
- can rename torrent folder properly.
- can set per torrent speed limits.
- uploads properly.

Any such client?

If you are in linux try rtorrent + rutorrent GUI auto scripts or you can manually do them. This is most used in most seedboxes
requires installation of a webserver. its too much pain.

i tried utorrent linux version but it has too many bugs. had to remove it.

So I'm searching for a good torrent client in Linux.

I was using transmission daemon previously and there is a major bug in it which the developers don't know how to solve. They just delete the tickets saying it's not an issue. The bug is that the new versions of t-d don't talk properly to udp trackers and always give back tracker failed messages.

So, I turned to Deluge. It has drawback where it does not show all the trackers status in a single page. It only shows the first tracker. Also I hate it's UI. It's too old.

Next I saw qBittorrent. It looks & works well like uTorrent (not really). There is a bug in this where it does not rename the torrent folder properly. It just makes a new folder inside the original folder. Does not even rename the new folder completely. It just puts the new part of the name on it and calls it a day. Another big drawback I saw was, it does not upload properly. It uploads at just half the upload speed I set in the UI. I don't like such leecher clients so I uninstalled it.

So I'm searching for a low footage client that has these features:
- friendly gui and can be controlled from web or app
- connects to udp trackers.
- can rename torrent folder properly.
- can set per torrent speed limits.
- uploads properly.

Any such client?

qbittorrent properly configured works great! i even use it on windows. it has categories and categories = folders, please play with the settings and have a look!

How do I rename the top most folder in it? Let's say the torrent creator hasn't mentioned any extra info in the torrent name. I want to add the codec used and audio format and whether it's a BD or DVD. Can it do that to the original name?

Thanks, downloaded it. First time seeing so much info is presented to viewer. Will give it a try after active downloads on the transmission client complete.

Got some problems with Tixati. Usually torrent downloads are compatible between all torrent clients.
Example - If I use utorrent to download a torrent and it completes say 70% of the file and I add the torrent in Transmission and do a force check. Transmisison checks the data and it shows that 70% should have been completed and starts downloading the rest.

In Tixati, it shows zero%. Yup. It actually shows zero% even if I downloaded 70% of the file and after rechecking folder name and file/folder permissions etc.
Even what Tixati downloads, shows up differently in Transmission too. I had a 40% downloaded file in Tixati and the speed was crawling at 5-6KBps. So I stopped Tixati and added the torrent in Transmission and checked it and Transmission said only < 10% was done. I checked Tixati config folder for partial files and they were not there. This client is weird.

My old uT version does the same. It only shows the % it has actually downloaded, not the rechecked part. Doesn't really matter because i usually only look at the MB remaining.

I haven't dealt with all the technicalities that you mention. I just use Tixati and it works well. Maybe you can write to Tixati team about your problems.

I haven't dealt with all the technicalities that you mention. I just use Tixati and it works well. Maybe you can write to Tixati team about your problems.

no need, it's not a big problem. I'm not saying the program is bad or very good, i'm just pointing out its quirks. Its better than other clients in some ways like dht, udp support, blocking individual clients etc. In other parts like above it does not do well. I'm just saying no client can do everything well.

The transmisison-gtk client supports and connects to udp trackers properly. only the daemon does not connect. wonder whats going on.

What is the best way to reset permissions on entire directory and files+folders inside it and chmod each and every file and folder to 775 inside?
I want to change group access so that transmission does not give error while trying to write to the directory.
I tried:
Code:
sudo chmod -R 775 [download dir]

And for group:
sudo chgrp -hR user [download dir]
The group seems to have been set. The download dir is set to root (since its loaded in mnt directory) and group is set to my user.
But problem I see is most of the directories have a 4096 next to them whereas some folders and files have some weird large number like 20480 or 328469798 etc :(

Back