Storage Solutions Problem with Xtreamer or internal 2.5" hdd?

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hi guys,

*Just* bought myself an internal 2.5" WD 500gb drive for my Xtreamer. Have installed the hdd but seem to have a problem formatting it, and I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the drive or with my xtreamer.

First of all when I plugged the device into my pc, it recognized the device as 'Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device', and the message came that driver/software was up to date, but no user-interface of any kind has popped up. In device manager, it is also detected as Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, and when I click on properties, it says the device is working properly. However, when I go into Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management to format the drive (I'm using Windows 7), at first a message was popping up on the screen asking me to initialize the disk by choosing between Master Boot and GPT disk. No matter what I clicked on, I got an error message saying 'cyclic redundancy check'. As a result the disk could not be initialized, and therefore couldn't be formatted.

Now, while typing this, I have been ejecting and restarting the xtreamer, and on about the third try the disk finally got initialized. However, when attempting to format it, I again got the cyclic redundancy error msg.

Just disconnected and plugged the xtreamer back in again - now a window popped up recognizing the drive but saying that the drive is not formatted (I'm guessing this is what should have happened when I first plugged it in) and asking me if I want to format it. I've just done so (NTFS), and now the drive is being recognized in my system, but just as a blank drive.

Now my question/problem is (this has all changed as I've been typing this) - if the Xtreamer is supposed to be plug n play - how the hell am I supposed to get it to work. There is no user interface/menu of any kind that opens up when I plug the device into my PC. In windows explorer, it's just showing up alongwith my other hard disks as a 'local disk'.

I'm not really sure if I've done anything wrong (do I need to unformat/reformat the hdd), or how to get access the Xtreamer menu/control panel, so if anyone can help me, i'd really appreciate it. If you're an Xtreamer owner and can talk me through a solution (if you have time), PM me ur number and I can call u right away if you'd like. Standing by for responses. Thanks.

Back