Problems with Hathway

paraman

Adept
I am on a 256kbps unlimited usage plan from Hathway for the last 2-3 years. Charges are Rs. 995.00 + service taxes etc. Till about 10 days back I was getting good speeds for browsing and downloading.

But for the last week or so the speeds have gone down to 7-8kBps. The sluggishness is visible in browsing too. Webpages take a long time to load.
Even if I am downloading only 1 file I get 7-8kBps speed. Hathway people are now claiming that they ensure speeds for multiple downloads. i.e. 2 or 3 files being downloaded at around 8kBps come to 24kBps total speed.

But isnt it logical to assume that if only 1 file is getting downloaded then it should make use of the total bandwidth and give me speeds of approx 24kBps? And I was getting these speeds just 10 days back. What has changed in the past few days?

I tested my speed at testmy.net - speed test and broadband tools and even there I am getting 7-8kBps speed!

Hathway isnt ready to accept that there is any problem. According to them the speeds I get are correct. I am at my wits end trying to convince these guys.

Any Hathway user from Thane facing this problem?

I have used Hathway for about 6 years now and a couple of months back my 256kbps unlimited account had the same problem as yours and I was given the very same answer from Hathway, but I did not accept this answer and I used to phone them 4 - 5 times a day for over 2 weeks, I bugged the life out of the engineers till they got fed up of my calls and restored the line to the correct speeds.

When they said that I had to have multiple downloads to get the full speed of my connection I used to get really MAD and scream at them :eek:hyeah: One other thing that Hathway do nowdays is that when you complain too much they will tell you your modem is defective and make you buy a new one !!

Hathway have their own speed test... read what they have mentioned at the bottom ... Do Multiple Downloads together to confirm your total bandwidth :)

Hathway Cable Internet Connection | Speed Test..........

Aces170 said:
Change your ISP...
If they are so dumb it will keep causing you such probs in future....

My problems are over, they got tired of my constant complaining and they fixed my connection.... for now at least .... :eek:hyeah:

@eazy

So how was the problem finally solved? What did they exactly do to restore the speeds? Maybe I can ask them to do the same to my line!

@Aces170

Which other ISP's provide 'broadband' in Thane? Do you have any contact nos?

Even i am on Hathway in Delhi, and though speeds are good for me but their downtime is killing me, almost 10 days every month when i pay Rs. 1120 for 256Kbps but again i dont have any other option in my area other than MTNL.

paraman said:
So how was the problem finally solved? What did they exactly do to restore the speeds? Maybe I can ask them to do the same to my line!

.... <shrug> ..... Gawd knows what the problem was, Hathway never mentioned to me what the problem was. One day the engineer after many days of my phoning him said that the problem was in my cable modem and I said then disconnect my conx because I am NOT going to pay for a new modem when the problem is in your setup, within an hour the conx was fine. :eek:hyeah: I have made up my mind that the next time I have a problem with Hathway it is going to be GOODBYE to them. I have had 3 major problems with them in 2007 and I do not want to go thru the arguments with them again.

thebanik said:
Even i am on Hathway in Delhi, and though speeds are good for me but their downtime is killing me, almost 10 days every month when i pay Rs. 1120 for 256Kbps but again i dont have any other option in my area other than MTNL.

was on that plan a few months back. hathway is pathetic.

wud really recommend MTNL. Now that their 256kbps UL is for Rs.800/-

or even the 749 NU if you can manage it.

Hathway Customer Care sucks huge time, its worthless calling them as u will only get answers that will keep you amused you for some time.............

Well, I checked and sadly Airtel doesn't provide service in Thane. I guess I am stuck with Hathway for now. I dont want to go back to in2cable as I used their service before changing to Hathway, so I am well aware of their quality!

I have Hathway here as well, and it's ridiculous. I have to call up every single day and tell them that my connection isn't working. They have a standard answer for me, that their is a defect in the node point. Everyday. And everyday I get a confirmation from them that the problem has been fixed and it won't occur again.

The next day I find the modem again not responding and I call them up again, and guess what?

Node point.

So they fix it, call me and say its' fixed.

And so on and so forth, it's like a god damned for loop with the variable not having a value being checked.

No other option in this area. Hathway sucks, deal with it.

Back